Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

WTB: Lenovo Thinkpad T or W Series - UK Buyer

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
LavaChild

WTB: Lenovo Thinkpad T or W Series - UK Buyer

#1 Post by LavaChild » Sun May 13, 2012 5:55 am

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a Lenovo Thinkpad, T or W series. I live in the UK but would be willing to purchase internationally. Please state any prices including necessary postage to the UK. Please also state, if not a UK model, what differences the laptop has compared to a UK model. For example, I would require a UK keyboard. If your laptop does not have that fine but I'll need to know so that I can budget for buying one elsewhere. Ideally the item would be sold as for the UK market (keyboard included) but I am still interested in hearing about all available laptops.

My budget started out low at 200 GBP just to 'dip my toe' into the world of Thinkpad. Since then I have read about the GPU problems of T61/T61p etc and realised the need to increase the budget. I would ideally like to keep the budget as low as possible but would be able to go up to 300 GBP, possibly 400 GBP at a stretch for 'the one'. Note that the figures are not given you for you to price your laptop up at the top but to stop anybody 'wasting' their time if their laptop falls outside of my budget.

I would ideally prefer a 15" model but would consider a 14" model. I require a high resolution display (1920x1200 / 1680x1050 and 4:3 equivalents, for example). It is important that the device (including chassis and screen) and in a good clean condition without marks, scratches, blemishes, etc.

Wants include CD-RW/DVD-RW and likes include finger print reader and bluetooth.

It may appear that I'm asking a lot but I do think that if I hold out there will be something available that meets these requirements. If you have anything, let me know! :) Thanks.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: WTB: Lenovo Thinkpad T or W Series - UK Buyer

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun May 13, 2012 7:19 am

Do you need powerful, dedicated graphics, or is integrated graphics good enough for you?
What is the intended use of that laptop?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

LavaChild

#3 Post by LavaChild » Sun May 13, 2012 4:35 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:Do you need powerful, dedicated graphics, or is integrated graphics good enough for you?
What is the intended use of that laptop?
Hello!

I'm not entirely sure what I want to be honest; I had originally started out wanting a ThinkPad because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It seemed a T61p was probably just within budget at ~£200. Having read of all of the GPU issues I started considering newer models and gradually I ended up increasing my budget, until I reached the stage of 'If I'm spending this much it really does have to be something I want'. Actually, I've now been looking for a little over two weeks and having made the decision to increase the budget I now think (if possible) I'd probably feel more comfortable spending nearer to my original budget of £200. I'm not sure if this is possible or not. I've had many offers to consider from this forum and I'm currently giving each and every one a good amount of thought.

My only concern at the moment is that all of the offers I've had from here work out very reasonable price wise but after adding international postage, customs fees and the cost of sourcing and replacing a UK keyboard I'm not sure if the price remains much better than buying directly in the UK. Having said that, I'd feel far more comfortable purchasing from knowledgeable folk like yourselves than random eBay sellers, usually selling ex-corporate machines in bulk. It, unfortunately, does not seem that there are many guys in the UK that having anything available on this forum.

The expected use case for the laptop is general web browsing and possibly to watch DVDs etc. I will also use the machine for programming on - both for my own needs and when connected remotely to my office computer. For this reason a good high resolution screen is necessary. I originally *loved* the idea of the 1920x1200 screens on the T61p/W500 however reading comments on here I'm not sure if I should be considering an alternative screen.

Essentially, I don't mind too much what I get so long as it's the T or W series and is in a good, clean and complete condition and gives me great value for money. I'd ideally like to keep my budget low however I understand you get what you pay for and with that in mind I'd considering upping the budget.

[Note, to those who I am already in contact with - This message does not mean I have discounted the offers you have made. To the contrary I am considering them all and trying to work out what suits me best. The charges associated with purchasing intentionally are my biggest stumbling block at the moment].

Kilowatt

#4 Post by Kilowatt » Sun May 13, 2012 5:15 pm

not quite the resolution you want, but if you want a cheapo -

Morgans computers UK

T61 14.1" 1280x800 100GB HDD Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz Vista

£174 + £7 p&p

TP - X1 Carbon, X61, X200s, X220, X250, R61i, T430, Flex 10, Yoga 2-8", Yoga Book.
Other - Panasonic CF-19, HP EliteBook 2540p, HP EliteBook 8760w, HP600-G1.

LavaChild

#5 Post by LavaChild » Sun May 13, 2012 5:18 pm

Kilowatt wrote:not quite the resolution you want, but if you want a cheapo -

Morgans computers UK

T61 14.1" 1280x800 100GB HDD Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz Vista

£174 + £7 p&p
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, the resolution is not high enough. I appreciate the thought, though.