Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

SOLD: Crucial M4 SSD 256GB $110 shipped CONUS, with a catch

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
khtse

SOLD: Crucial M4 SSD 256GB $110 shipped CONUS, with a catch

#1 Post by khtse » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:27 am

Crucial M4 SSD 256GB $110 shipped CONUS, with a catch

You probably have to deal with Crucial warranty service, the drive is under warranty and I will send you the receipt from where I bought the drive (although they didn't ask me about the receipt at all when I called them).

The SSD was purchased last August, and worked fine until March which my laptop could not located the OS on the SSD. Since I didn't have another drive with me, I reinstalled Windows and continued using the SSD without any problem. A month later I switched to Samsung SSD due to a huge discount.

Contacted Crucial CS after the drive failed. I chose to do advanced exchange and had them ship me a replacement first (I couldn't leave my work laptop w/o a drive!). They sent me a refurbished drive but it was DOA. Called them, they sent me another refurbished drive, which kept getting I/O errors when I was cloning the data to that drive. I requested a brand new replacement, but they required me to following their step-by-step testing and be baby-sit by them to do clean Windows install. At that point I got frustrated and just went to buy the Samsung SSD instead - didn't want to spend another hour on the phone with them. I shipped them back the replacement drive they sent me, and I still have my original SSD.

So, the SSD is likely to be faulty, although I didn't encounter any problem with it again in that 1 month after it failed. The drive is under warranty, and if you are willing to deal with Crucial customer service, you save some money.

I don't log in here frequently, please PM me (so that I will get email notificaiton) instead of replying to this thread.