Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

OH man what to buy. What to buy

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
x_789

OH man what to buy. What to buy

#1 Post by x_789 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:27 pm

Well I have been looking for a decent priced laptop recently I was looking at some IBM T23s in the 600-700 Basically I just want a laptop to use for wirless surfing in my house.. So I don't need anything really fancy. I have a powerhouse desktop for gaming and video editing.. I would just like to be free to move around when I simply want to browse and such.

so with that in mind what is teh the t23 a good laptop for my needs? If so What will a internal wirelese card cost me. Next should I purchase on Ebay or pay more for an IBM refurb from IBM Also I saw a loaded up A31 for cheaper than a T23 what are the bennefits .. of aXX vs teh Txx series..

I guess that about covers it for now.. Thanks in advance..

X

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#2 Post by BillMorrow » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:39 am

if you get a T23 get one with the wifi card in it..

the A31 is a bigger box but depending upon which A31 it is it might be much better than the T23..

but the T23 is smaller and more portable..

only you know what you want it to do for you..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

x_789

#3 Post by x_789 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:24 am

Ok so when I buy a used laptop what are teh passwords I need to make sure they have? Also if they don't have the Restore cds but say it has an win 2k coa on the machine can I get a cheap copy of the install cds somewhere? I saw you can order them from IBM but 50 bucks is insane for that.. Lastly could you please provide info for adding a internal wireless card as I have found a laptop that is a great price without a internal card..

Oh and is the factory warranty transferable? I see lots of people on E-bay say fac warranty till April 2005 and such..

Thanks.. X

MadeInJapan

#4 Post by MadeInJapan » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:48 pm

Not sure if it doesn't have a wireless card, if the antena is built into the screen or not. You don't want ANY passwords...if they are there, then you might have trouble booting up the machine. In regards to the CD's, ask around. Someone has them here, I'm sure. IBM warranties are transferable until they are gone. As an example, I bought a used T22 and the day it arrived in the mail was the day the warranty was to expire. It had a problem and so I called IBM at 11:30 at night. I was told I was lucky that I had not waited until after midnight. They honored the warranty, the laptop was sent off and repaired and came back to me in a couple of days. Nothing is better than the IBM warranty.