Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Story of a dropped X201i

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
visionviper
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Story of a dropped X201i

#1 Post by visionviper » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:58 pm

I work at the student help desk at my university. I had a student bring in a X201i that wasn't starting up and was giving a post error code. I asked her what happened and she told me she dropped it off her bed. As a side note, the floors in our dorms aren't much better than bare concrete. I'm pretty sure they don't even put carpet pads under the carpet. And they use the type of carpet you see in businesses/high traffic places that is easy to clean but doesn't really have any give (or comfort for that matter). A quick look to the HMM lead us to try re-seating the memory. After we did that it booted up perfectly fine, as if nothing happened.

Just wanted to share.
7mm SSD list
Guide to fixing T4x GPU problems via reflow

Current: T420s
Former: X301, X61t, T40

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: Story of a dropped X201i

#2 Post by dr_st » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:38 am

It can be that the memory got misaligned by the bump.

It can also be that some component on the board was damaged. These usually cause intermittent problems. Not to put you down, but I would not be surprised if the error comes back. Neither would I be surprised if it does not (let's hope the latter is the case). :)
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Return to “GENERAL ThinkPad News/Comments & Questions”