Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

The GOTO msata for all Thinkpads.

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
Kaze22
Sophomore Member

The GOTO msata for all Thinkpads.

#1 Post by Kaze22 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:31 pm

I didn't mention this before, cause I thought everyone already knew. But apparently this is news outside of the non Asian forums.
So here it is, Samsung's best kept secret. And the price is only 165-170 shipped.
The best value and best performance msata for your Thinkpad.

MZ MPA 1280/00 Samsung 128gb msata
http://www.auctiondose.com/detail_produ ... mini_pcie/
(Thank Ausmike for finding the link - this seller is legit I bought off him when he listed on Ebay)

This msata was created for the Samsung 9 series laptops and uses only the finest nand, and Samsung's own controller.
It smokes the competition, in both price and performance. I've got 2 of them and one of them is currently in my X220T.

This msata scores a whopping 7.5 WEI beating out MyDigital (7.0), Kingston (7.3), Intel (6.2). I've used all three.
It also out performs Renice, RunCore, and OCZ (excluding the ultra expensive Runcore Sata 3 msata)

This is by the far the fastest Sata 2 msata in the market right now, and because Samsung do not sell these for commercial use, they are very cheap.

So if you're looking for an msata for your Thinkpad, you should seriously Think of getting one of these. Very few people even know that these work in Thinkpads, most of the times even the seller has no clue, which again contributes to its cheap price.

Anyways I thought I'd share the secret, that up until now was common knowledge in most Asian forums.
Thinkpad W520 | Intel i7 2.5 XM | 1920x1080 FHD 95% Gamut | 32 GB DDR3 | 128GB MyDigitalSSD mSATA SSD | 2GB NVIDIA QUADRO 2000M | UEFI WIN 7

ausmike

Re: The GOTO msata for all Thinkpads.

#2 Post by ausmike » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:11 pm

Hiya Kaz*;
thanks for ack'ment re SSD

yips have seen a LOT OF SSDs 'so called data rates' and WEI etc .....
a few come close to their advertised speeds and few are 'indeal/lab' results ...which generally in practise/reallife
never gets close!(reminds me of ISP's 'advertised speeds of downloads/uploads') ,,, and there is always an EXCUSE !!!

here is another SSD that is on-par if not as good (and with 5 year warranty!)
Link is for a Supplier that I often use (for personal stuff) >>sorry am not their staff nor a free advert'sor for them...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... %29&Page=1

Hope this helps !
cheers everyone !
Work: None - Retired ! Yipee!! ~~Older/Hm use:Asus Zenbook i7FHD~~ w701ds CTO;W520cto;T61P-IPSmodels; T43P,...&700Tstill going strong!! DEC Alpha Series OS: Win7x64; OSX; SuSe Linux; RedHat~~