thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:55 pm 

I was really hoping to buy a T520 during my state's tax free weekend, but it's still 8 weeks away. I assume Lenovo will continue to sell the T520 on their website while their stocks last, but how long will that be? If anyone who works for Lenovo knows, or if anyone knows from previous years how long the old models last after the new models are released, I would really appreciate some info.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:55 am 

thats anyone;s guess ,,,, who knows - am sure you have ASKED LENOVO sales ?

However; IMHO- you be better off going for the Newer T530 - as you get all the 'issues' resolved from T520 into these newer machines PLUS option to get few more newer features like - Gobi4000 and RAID etc - that wasnt there in T520.

However - you can always keep any eye out for the older T520's in the OUTLET Store - often better bargins there for those anyways...and since these machines are actually shipped from Tech Park - down the road from you - you get it juz about next day !

Hope this helps
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:16 pm 

That actually was helpful. I took a look on the Outlet site and there are still a couple T410 models hanging on from last year, so I'm sure they'll likely have some T520's left in 8 weeks time. I'm a little reluctant to go for the T530 due to the redesigned keyboard. I have yet to try the new Lenovo keyboards, so maybe they aren't as bad to type on as I am fearing. But honestly, from the pictures I've seen I just really hate the way they look. I guess I just prefer classic design over a more "modern" look.

All I can say is Thinkpad had better never get rid of the trackpoint. I absolutely loathe touchpads. I really wish Lenovo would sell a palm rest without a touchpad on it, but as long as they at least keep the trackpoint I can deal with that stupid touchpad on my palm rest.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:21 pm 

gald that "blurb" was of some help....& BTW - 'outlet store' items are MOSTLY ONE YEAR WARRANTY - and often cannot be 'extended' - even items that are sold as "NEW" condition. So pls check that ( in case warranty is of major importance to you)

Cheers