thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Good Refurbs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:42 pm 

Hi All,

I am looking for a nice project to save up for a shiny newer Thinkpad. My T60 is finally showing its age. So, I want to buy some old Thinkpads on ebay that are in need of TLC, fix them up, and sell them for a profit. What models are people looking for that I could make a profit on when selling them? Also, how much should I buy these models for and what should I sell them for when they are refurbished?

Also, in case of confusion fix them up usually, in the case of many ebay sellers that don't understand that is wrong with computers, put a new HDD in and put linux on it.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Proud Owner of...
1 Homebuilt computer... (6 GB Ram, 500 GB HDD, E3400 2.6 GHZ Celeron Dual Core, Ubuntu 11.04, Plus Other Stuff)
1 Thinkpad T60 (2007-GAU)
1 Homebuilt Computer... (8 GB Ram, 500 GB HDD, i5 3570k, GTX 660, CM Elite 430 Case)

Post subject: Re: Good Refurbs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:33 pm 
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

My advice to you would be to forget the entire idea, unless you have access to corporate write-offs as the "big boys" on eBay do.

There is no money to be made on refurbishing (what an abused term) ThinkPads unless you have such a source. Buying them on eBay and attemtping to re-sell at a decent profit margin is next to impossible. Take it from someone who's been re-selling ThinkPads for a decade.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

Running Linux while collecting SSDI: A31p, T42p, T43pSF

Abused daily: R60F, R500F, T60, T61, T410

For sale: T601 QXGA FrankenPad

Post subject: Re: Good Refurbs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:55 pm 
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

ajkula66 wrote:
There is no money to be made on refurbishing (what an abused term) ThinkPads unless you have such a source. Buying them on eBay and attemtping to re-sell at a decent profit margin is next to impossible. Take it from someone who's been re-selling ThinkPads for a decade.

George is correct on this.

I do refurbish systems, but very, very few of them come from eBay. Occasionally I find the odd mis-listed system which I can get a good deal on, but that's exceptionally rare.

Most of my source machines come from Craigslist; between the RTP providing tons of ex-corporate machines and the universities providing plenty of computer-illiterate, recently-graduated sellers there are quite a few deals to be had here. Even then I wouldn't recommend it unless you also enjoy tinkering with hardware. (I do, and I tend to use my refurb sales to allow me to change my laptops out regularly. It's definitely not a major profit source...)

Current workstation: none