Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Recommended Thinkpad for Rough Travel

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
Wobbly

Recommended Thinkpad for Rough Travel

#1 Post by Wobbly » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:53 pm

Looking for recommendations for a laptop to take on my trip to Central and South America. Having read numerous accounts of laptops stolen from "rough travelers" to these areas, I don't want to spend too much for a laptop. Since I will be traveling extremely light and will be carrying the laptop in a shoulder bag many hours daily, a very compact and lightweight unit is desired. An excellent keyboard is a must.

I've just started looking, but used Thinkpads seem like a good fit.

Any recommendations, and caveats for buying a used Thinkpad, or other laptop for "rough travel" will be appreciated.

Thanks!

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Recommended Thinkpad for Rough Travel

#2 Post by pianowizard » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:00 pm

Welcome to the forum! This thread is quite similar and should give you some ideas: http://67.214.227.38/~thinkpad/forum/vi ... 2&t=105720
Dell Latitude 7370 (QHD+, 2.84lb); HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (1920x1280, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (1920x1280, 2.00lb);
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600); Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by rkawakami » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:46 pm

From your stated requirements of cheap, compact and lightweight Thinkpads, that points to an X series of some kind. An X2x system is probably too old and memory limited (Pentinum III and 640MB SDRAM memory) for today's usage but it would work fine for light web browsing and email. One thing to watch out for in these X2x systems are weak hinges; they tend to shatter as a result of metal fatigue. The X4x systems are a little bit more heavier and also use a slow and expensive hard drive format (4200RPM; 1.8") if fitted with an original disk. There are some things you can do to avoid using these dinosaurs drives (ZIF-type interface drives, SSD, Compact Flash adapters). My recommendation would be to look at an X60 or X61 system. They use readily available SATA interface hard drives and fairly inexpensive DDR2 memory. If you can afford the extra cost, installing an SSD would make the laptop "rugged" in the respect that you don't have to worry about crashing the HD heads. About the only negative thing I can say about the X6x systems is that some of them run hot under the palmrest but that can be reduced by changing to another wireless card. All of the above X systems do not have built-in optical drives; you would either need an Ultrabase (additional weight and space) or an external USB drive if you need access to CDs or DVDs. My guess is that you should be able to find a good X60 or X61 for well under $200.
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

Wobbly

#4 Post by Wobbly » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:58 pm

Pianowizard, thanks for the linked thread which discussed Toughbooks for use in rural Honduras.
There are some Toughbook lightweight models which are tempting. Some reviewers have commented on the cramped keyboards, though. Perhaps I've overstated the "rough" aspect of my trip. I meant that I'll be taking lots of old buses on poor roads, and perhaps riding in the back of some farmer's truck and will be staying in low budget digs. A planned ride in a small boat from Panama to Colombia might fit the description, though.

Ray, thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into those models.

wackyD
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by wackyD » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:44 am

Wobbly,

I have carried an X31 and an X60s through my travels in Honduras without issue. I've carried them on luxury buses, chicken buses, in the back of Land Cruisers and inside pickup trucks.

Biggest challenge with these machines is the mouse interface - some folks don't care for the pointer style track point.

You man not be using the wireless enough to be bothered by the heat on an X6x machine - just swtich it off if you aren't using it.

Dollar per pound, I would think the X60s or X61s would be a good choice, with a good 8-cell battery. Small footprint, nearly full size keyboard, and well built.

That said, I have limited first hand knowledge of semi rugged toughbooks.

Almost bought one recently, but decided to stay in my thinkpad wheelhouse and not try to learn a new machine.

Good luck, sound like a fun trip - at least fun traveling.

Daniel
Daniel
T470 (20HES18S00) Win 11
T470 (20JM0009US) Endless linux
X1 Yoga (20FRS19W00)(touch won't touch, pen writes) Win 10
T450 (20BUS0S900) Win 10
T550 (20CK000GUS) Win 10 (needs better than HD)
X240 (20AL009CUS) Endless linux
X200 (7458-WA2) Win 7

Wobbly

#6 Post by Wobbly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience, Daniel.

What do you think of this one:
The owner says that it's in good condition
X61s
7666-3EU
L7500
1.60 Ghz
2 GB ram
12.1" XGA (not ultralight)
120GB 5400rpm hard drive
Intel 4965AG
Fingerprint reader
8 cell battery
Windows7
dock
2 power adapters
battery holds a 2 hour charge
$150

Anything I should be asking?

Thanks,

Wobbly

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by rkawakami » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:38 pm

Some points:

- 8 cell battery yielding 2 hours of charge says it's probably got 1/2 of its life left.
- With any used system that already has an OS installed, I'd consider wiping the drive and starting fresh (there could be malware on the drive). If the system includes a good assortment of software applications that you desire (and don't already have), then use a good virus / malware scanner on it.
- 7666-3EU originally shipped with Windows XP; ask if the owner has the install disks or if the restore partition is intact. If no to both, you should be able to source a set from somebody here.
- Make sure it does not have a BIOS (aka supervisor) password set.
- Ask what does "dock" mean. It could refer to a desktop docking / port replicator or the Ultrabase. If the Ultrabase, what kind of optical drive is included, if any?
- Any display issues; dim backlight or stuck pixels.
- Any cracks in the case?
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

wackyD
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by wackyD » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Ray has you well covered for the questions to ask on this one.

You could also ask if the machine has ever been opened and the thermal paste replaced on the heatsink processor. Also ask if the fan is making noise.

Pricewise, I'd call that good for what you are getting, though the battery is not great. Though two hours to one person might be three or just one to another, depending on settings and use.

Not sure about you, but at $150, if it was lost in travel, that would be pretty manageable, at least for me.

If it passes the tests above, I'd think it is good.

Are you a fan of the track point?

I have a few couple of the 28 Wh wedge batteries in my parts pile. Good for about an hour to an hour and half of run time at lower LCD brightness, if you might want one. Hard call on the power for weight or space it takes up is worth it.
Daniel
T470 (20HES18S00) Win 11
T450 (20BUS0S900) Win 10
X200 (7458-WA2) Win 7

Wobbly

#9 Post by Wobbly » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks for the detailed replies, Ray and Daniel. It's great that you are sharing your experience.

I'm about to try to snag a X61s.

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#10 Post by killer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:33 pm

My advice, for what it's worth, is that if you are travelling to what might be described as bandit country ... which includes any urban area in the so called civilised world ... is to make sure that what you are carrying does not look like it has any value. Laptops, mobile phones, cameras, etc., need to be concealed in scruffy old bags that look like they were picked out of a dustbin.

If you look like you have no money then you will be overlooked. As soon as you show anything bright and shiny then you become a target.
Old newspaper from the country you are visiting makes a good screen. The more torn and tattered the carrying case the less likely you will be picked on.
Fit in and don't stand out. Dress to be missed, carry what will be missed. Also make sure you speak the local language ... without an obvious accent.
Keep your voice low, use the shadows, and don't make yourself obvious.

If you are from the USA learn to eat correctly with a knife and fork. The fork is held in the left hand, the knife is held in the right hand. This is maintained throughout the meal. The minute you put the fork in your right hand you will be spotted as a foreigner.

These rules kept many secret operatives alive in Nazi occupied territory during the second world war.

Have a great time and let us know how it went. Good luck!
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

X1 Carbon Win 7 Pro 64 for my wife.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Dogs must be carried on the escalator. Where can I find a dog?

Wobbly

#11 Post by Wobbly » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:09 pm

Fifty years ago, when I was a teenager, I took the same route. It seems like it will be quite a bit more dangerous now. I won't be hopping freight trains in Mexico like I did then. I'll avoid the entire US-Mexico border area. At that time there was a Colombian bandit who had killed more than 200 policemen, but now there's the FARC, paramilitary armies, and gangs of street criminals. Even the tourist hostels have been targets. Argentina and Peru have lots of counterfeit bills in circulation, and tourists are prime targets. Thanks to the web, it's possible to be forewarned. The danger is that it's easy to become petrified by reading of the scams and violence.

I was surprised to learn that travel in Brazil, Argentina, and Chile is now fairly expensive. 50 years ago I took a 300 mile or so rail trip in the Amapa region of Brazil for 0.05 USD. In Rio I stayed in a sleeping cubicle made from chicken wire. It probably cost a dollar or so a night.
I won't be trying to stay in such places on this trip.

Things change. The present will, at some time, be looked back upon as the good old days.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#12 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:41 pm

killer wrote:If you are from the USA learn to eat correctly with a knife and fork.
Spot-on!
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Wobbly

#13 Post by Wobbly » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:05 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:If you are from the USA learn to eat correctly with a knife and fork.
I've lived in Spain, where oranges are eaten with knife and fork.

I'm going to stick out like the proverbial sore thumb, no matter in which hand I hold a fork, but I'll
strive to blend in.

The tips about dressing down are good. My wife thinks that I do so naturally. Sometimes she pretends not to know me when we are in public.

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#14 Post by killer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:27 pm

[qquote="killer"]If you are from the USA learn to eat correctly with a knife and fork.[/quote]

I hope I didn't appear cheeky by my comment. It is essential to blend in with other communities if you wish to stay safe. SOE operatives sent to France in the war were spotted straight away because they cut their meat, put down their knife, transferred their fork to their right hand, and that was effectively the end of their life.
Sad , but true.
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#15 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:53 pm

The average American has another bad eating habit (or two, or three...): eating with a fork in their right hand, while having the left lower arm resting on their thighs under the table. :roll:
Not to mention the oversize portions on their plate (we should get a 'local' Jamie Oliver in this country).
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Wobbly

#16 Post by Wobbly » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks for the tips, Killer. I'm confused though why British agents would be eating in the American style.

Since I'm definitely a gringo, gabacho, or güero, I really can't blend in with the native populations, I may try the ruse of wearing a flag lapel of some place like Lithuania or Hungary. That way when I get hit up for money, I can plead "No English. No Spanish" and point to the lapel pin.

On my trip 50 years ago, I sometimes pretended to be German. This was well-received by many of the natives I met who were not enamored with Yanquis. In one small Mexican town I was introduced to a real German who may have been a former Nazi. My high school German didn't go too far with him, but I learned that he was still bitter about the war.

Wobbly

#17 Post by Wobbly » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:19 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:The average American has another bad eating habit (or two, or three...): eating with a fork in their right hand, while having the left lower arm resting on their thighs under the table. :roll:
Not to mention the oversize portions on their plate (we should get a 'local' Jamie Oliver in this country).
Whenever I forget my table manners, I review this video showing Mr. Creosote tucking in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXH_12QWWg8
:twisted:

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#18 Post by killer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:25 am

Wobbly wrote:Thanks for the tips, Killer. I'm confused though why British agents would be eating in the American style.
Mea culpa ... I should have said OSS rather than SOE. Nevertheless, before the USA entered the war in late 1941, several Americans were agents for SOE.

I hadn't seen the exploding Mr Creosote for years. Thanks for that clip, Wobbly. :lol:
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

Wobbly

#19 Post by Wobbly » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:01 pm

Just about to buy this X61s, but am not sure what this information from the seller implies as far as additional costs:

"The restore partition is not intact. This is currently running Windows 7 and the COA on the bottom of the unit is for Windows XP Professional. I do not have any discs that come with this sale, nor do I provide a license to reinstall Windows 7."

Thanks!

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#20 Post by pianowizard » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:27 pm

Wobbly wrote:"The restore partition is not intact. This is currently running Windows 7 and the COA on the bottom of the unit is for Windows XP Professional. I do not have any discs that come with this sale, nor do I provide a license to reinstall Windows 7."
That means you are legally required to uninstall 7 and replace it with XP. You should be able to get a set of XP recovery discs through the Marketplace here for a small sum of money.
Dell Latitude 7370 (QHD+, 2.84lb); HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (1920x1280, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (1920x1280, 2.00lb);
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600); Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#21 Post by killer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:28 pm

Steer well clear of it, Wobbly. If the restore partition is not intact then you cannot restore to factory settings ... which you'd want to do if you bought it.
Also if it is running an unlicensed copy of Win 7 you could get hammered for that.

There are plenty of fish in the sea. Another (genuine) box will be a better buy.
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

Wobbly

#22 Post by Wobbly » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:37 pm

This is a basic question, but why is it desirable to restore the laptop to factory settings?

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#23 Post by killer » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:39 am

When you buy a computer from someone you have no idea what that person did with the machine, what malware might exist, illegal files and images, etc.
It is far better to make a fresh start by doing a factory restore. This involves a complete clean up of the HDD.
Then you add what you want, and everything is under your control.

It doesn't take too long. Set aside half a day for all the system and windows updates.
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#24 Post by pianowizard » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:03 am

I agree with killer. You don't want to use the existing Windows installation because you never know what the seller did on this machine. Besides, it would be illegal to use it because the seller isn't including a Windows 7 license with this X61s. This doesn't necessarily mean he is running 7 illegally though, because he could have installed it through a site license at work for example, but since you aren't working at the same company as he, it would be illegal for you to keep using it.

Getting Lenovo's X61s XP recovery discs (which includes all factory-installed software) would be the easiest thing to do. You don't need to buy an original copy; it's legal for someone to burn you a set of DVDs/CDs because this X61s has the XP COA sticker, but this person would probably charge you several bucks for postage and media cost. If you don't want to spend any extra money, I can electronically send you an ISO file for making an OEM XP setup disc for free, and then you can go to lenovo.com to download all drivers. However, now that megaupload.com is gone, I don't know of any other free file hosting site that would support a file of this size (~600MB I think).

Wobbly

#25 Post by Wobbly » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:43 pm

I ended up buying a different X61s on impulse:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181036242593?ss ... 1439.l2649

I'll have to sort out the OS once it arrives.

Thanks for all the suggestions and offers.

Wobbly

#26 Post by Wobbly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:48 pm

I won't receive the "new" X61s for a few days, but I'm getting a used Intel X25M G2 160Gb SSD
tomorrow for $50 US to replace the existing 80 GB drive.

The X61s comes with 2GB ram. Is it safe to assume that it's in the form of two 1 GB sticks? Would one new 2GB together with one of the existing 1 GB sticks be adequate for web surfing, or should I go with two 2GB sticks? Or just stay with 2 GB?

Thanks!

mikemex

#27 Post by mikemex » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:04 am

X61s is a good choice, though myself, I would have prefered the regular X61 with a Penryn core processor (about the same battery life but much faster).

Quite nice deal to get a 160GB SSD for $50. Mind if I wask you where did you get it???
X301: SU9600 | 8GB | 1TB | WXGA+
X1C9: 1185G7 | 32GB | 1TB | WUXGA | WWAN
X1Y8: 1365U | 32GB | 1TB | WUXGA
For the sake of ecology I donated all my classic Thinkpads.

Wobbly

#28 Post by Wobbly » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:10 pm

mikemex wrote:X61s is a good choice, though myself, I would have prefered the regular X61 with a Penryn core processor (about the same battery life but much faster).

Quite nice deal to get a 160GB SSD for $50. Mind if I wask you where did you get it???

The SSD was on Craigslist. I half expected the seller not to show up, perhaps having received a better offer, but he did. He connected it to his laptop to demonstrate that it is working.

wackyD
Sophomore Member

#29 Post by wackyD » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:04 am

Wobbly wrote:I won't receive the "new" X61s for a few days, but I'm getting a used Intel X25M G2 160Gb SSD
tomorrow for $50 US to replace the existing 80 GB drive.

The X61s comes with 2GB ram. Is it safe to assume that it's in the form of two 1 GB sticks? Would one new 2GB together with one of the existing 1 GB sticks be adequate for web surfing, or should I go with two 2GB sticks? Or just stay with 2 GB?

Thanks!
Hard to know if it would be one or two, but I would guess two.

My X60s and my X61 started off with (2) 1 GB pieces. I upped the X60s to 3 GB and then to 4 GB (3 usable). Not sure if I really felt a difference. I think the graphics processing is the slowest part of this deal.

The X61 also now has 4 Gb and is running Vista Business 64. It is a bit faster than the X60s, but I think that is to be expected. Hard to tell what the differences are.

That said, I'd like to stumble upon some affordable Win 7 licenses for my fleet - after having it at work, I am pretty hooked.

Good luck with your X61 and your pending trip!

One plus on Thinkpads in this context is the business look to us looks pretty plain and boring to lots of folks - only the user knows its a superior machine. I've had users in Honduras pick a purple plastic PIII sony over a plain black Core Duo thinkpad. I'm more of an advisor so I try to help steer the better machines to those who need them, but funny how the looks really can sway folks.

Daniel
Daniel
T470 (20HES18S00) Win 11
T450 (20BUS0S900) Win 10
X200 (7458-WA2) Win 7

mikemex

#30 Post by mikemex » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:49 pm

How usable is Vista 64? I used Vista when it was released and I didn't like it one bit. But I've heard that after the many patches it works OK now.

I'm still using XP on my desktop machine and would like to upgrade. I have a COA somewhere; call me crazy but I don't like to install pirate software and I won't buy Windows 7 just to get to 64 bits...

I like XP more than any later OS but I've been using 64bit 7 on my laptops with Waterfox and it's really an improvement. I tend to load zillions of tabs in the browser and with the 32 bit version it just crashes. I've experienced no issues so far with the 64 bit browser.
X301: SU9600 | 8GB | 1TB | WXGA+
X1C9: 1185G7 | 32GB | 1TB | WUXGA | WWAN
X1Y8: 1365U | 32GB | 1TB | WUXGA
For the sake of ecology I donated all my classic Thinkpads.