Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Used Thinkpad

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
manolis kokotsakis
Sophomore Member

Used Thinkpad

#1 Post by manolis kokotsakis » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:49 am

Hi,
is it a good idea to buy a used Thinkpad ? I want it just for simple office work (office word-excel) and home use (emails,movie). I dont think for that work i need to spend money for an i3-i5 model with 8gb ram. But a used thinkpad will work for long ? Even if they are good laptops they are laptops.I dont want to buy another used model after 1 year.

Thanks.

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Used Thinkpad

#2 Post by Cigarguy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:27 am

manolis kokotsakis wrote:Hi,
Even if they are good laptops they are laptops.I dont want to buy another used model after 1 year.

Thanks.
If you don't want to, then don't.

Buying used can by risky if you buy from the wrong place. There are a lot of good used Thinkpads in the marketplace of this forum. I myself have bought a lot of used Thinkpad over the past year. None have given me any problems. All the Thinkpads that I've bought are stripped apart, cleaned, new thermal paste applied, parts upgraded and fresh OS install.

For your usage a T61 with 4 GB of ram, a SSD, some cleaning and TLC, and fresh Win 7 install will be more than adequate. That's roughly a 4-5 year old machine. Newer will obviously be better but at a price. These machines are definitely worth the effort. The older NMB keyboard are/were considered to be the best in the industry.

ZaZ

#3 Post by ZaZ » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:38 pm

Yes, post over in the Marketplace forum you're looking for a used machine. If you want portability, the X200 would be another good choice.
ThinkPad L14 - 2.1GHz Ryzen 4650U | 16GB | 256GB | 14" FHD | Win11P
ProBook 470 G5 - 1.6GHz Core i5 | 16GB | 2.2TB | 17" FHD | Mint

obarriel
Freshman Member

#4 Post by obarriel » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:33 am

Also in the Lenovo Outlet sometimes there are really deals (althought not always). If you keep it checking frequently you will eventually find nice i5 configurations under 600$
a w520, a couple of T60@T61, a affs modded x201 and some other older stuff.