Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Best Thinkpad Screen for my old eyes

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Best Thinkpad Screen for my old eyes

#31 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:34 am

kony wrote:Funny fact: I can run an old dictionary I use (made for Windows 95/98) under Linux Mint 15 64bit using Wine just fine, whereas Windows 7 SP1 64bit won't run it, because apparently application is too old and incompatible :lol: I tried everything, all compatibility options, but it just wouldn't start under Win7 no matter what.
Try to get the source of that dictionary, it's probably written in 16-bit.
If you find it, recompile/convert it to 32-bit, after which you should be able to run it in newer Windows versions.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

sir_synthsalot
Sophomore Member

Re: Best Thinkpad Screen for my old eyes

#32 Post by sir_synthsalot » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:00 pm

Puppy wrote:As for software-rendered blurry text in native display resolution, it can be turned off in Windows 7 (by selecting Windows Classic theme) and older. There is no way to get rid of it in Windows 8. Also Internet Explorer 9 and later has these unreadable blurry fonts by default (regardless of OS settings) without any option to turn it off (there is semi working hack), the only solution is to use different browser (Firefox).

I agree with this article (unless there are 10 times or more higher DPI displays available)
http://annystudio.com/misc/anti-aliased-fonts-hurt/

Another nasty trick is hardware/driver based blurry rendering present on HD3000 drivers and Lenovo notebooks
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=111111
I actually like the way IE 11 renders fonts. They are nice and thick and smooth and easy to read. Chrome font rendering makes the fonts really thin. Firefox is in between.

I actually think IE produces the least eye strain, Chrome the most. I can't stand Chrome's font rendering, it looks thin and pixelated to me, depending on the monitor. My suggestion is to load the same page in different browsers and see what you like best.
I'M DONE WITH THINKPADS, JUST DONE!!!