Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad Stack - anybody have it yet?

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
rambo47
Freshman Member

ThinkPad Stack - anybody have it yet?

#1 Post by rambo47 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:02 pm

It's available direct from Lenovo now for $390 complete, or you can go "ala carte" and get just the modules you want. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/accessorie ... kpadstack/

I'm definitely planning on picking this up. It's not a question of need so much as want. I have a W500 running Windows 10 and a Yoga 3 Pro running Linux Mint. This ThinkPad Stack can turn a laptop into a true desktop replacement computer. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I'm primarily a Mac user and ThinkPads are an unexplainable obsession for me.

Anybody have the Stack yet? Opinions?
- - - - -
Yoga 3 Pro, 13.3" touchscreen, CoreM 5Y70 @ 1.2GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics, Windows 10 (64-bit)

laowai
Sophomore Member

Re: ThinkPad Stack - anybody have it yet?

#2 Post by laowai » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:18 am

I considered it, and then failed to see the point

Saucey

#3 Post by Saucey » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:05 am

I had committed to buying the ThinkPower/PowerX USB charger before Lenovo's USB battery was released, so I have no use for it.
Plus its not as convenient with another connector rather than a normal ThinkPad 60/90W

Do you need WiFi HDD streaming? I see no point in needing to get the WiFi hotspot as my phone can give WiFi hotspots on its own.

I have no idea how well the speakers sound, the conference sounds good, but does it have any features other than a typical bluetooth speaker system?
I'd buy from a trusted dock/audio brand than take a chance.

To me it boiled down to wanting a nice looking all in one gizmo that I didn't need because I had other applications to use it.
I already have a few docks for my laptops, both standard and the USB dock.
I'm totally fine with connecting a USB HDD anyways, but you should ask, do I need 2 or more people connected to a hard drive at once?
So that then leaves the conference/bluetooth speaker left. I probably wouldn't of liked it because it wouldn't be as loud or crisp as I would want it to be, I would be fine with using a normal phone.

I'd base the final decision if it is cross compatible with Mac and Linux, if it runs flawlessly.
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s

rambo47
Freshman Member

#4 Post by rambo47 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:58 pm

Cross-platform compatibility of the Stack would seal the deal instantly for me. My son has a Yoga tablet that was issued by his university (Seton Hall) and it could be a killer accessory for him. He comes home on weekends and could do a weekly backup at home. And I could possibly see him having one of his own Stacks in his dorm. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the rest of the family are Mac users but could use the hard drive as a backup and as a common file server.
- - - - -
Yoga 3 Pro, 13.3" touchscreen, CoreM 5Y70 @ 1.2GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics, Windows 10 (64-bit)

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by JaneL » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:40 pm

I think Nate has one.
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

n2ri
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by n2ri » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:01 am

dont need it. get an HDD ultrabay tray and put a 1tb HDD in it like in your Thinkpad, also buy the extra battery pack and longer lasting main one. dock etc. heck I already got 2 Thinkpads that both out perform any desktop my sons build and thats just my T61 and W500 loaded. the W500 even has simcard slot for true wireless web like some new laptops. only thing they dont have is tablet touch screen but had 2 PDA and 3 Phones with those things and they are not worth the maint on ware out of screens

rambo47
Freshman Member

#7 Post by rambo47 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:12 pm

So here we are, three months after the ThinkPad Stack was released. Most opinions expressed were of the "don't need it" and "redundant" variety. Anybody who actually got one - what do you think so far?
- - - - -