Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Advice for new laptops

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
rustyh3

Advice for new laptops

#1 Post by rustyh3 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:29 am

Our company tried a number of laptop manufacturers over a few years and finally settled on Thinkpads. All but one are IBM's. That was a while ago.
We have t series, x series, r series and maybe another type. The T's are used by heavy computer users that travel some. The X's are used by heavy travelers, the R's are used by those that do not travel. All are moved around and used as notebooks.

We are starting to see increased need for repair work and/or replacement.

Some folks could use a speed boost due to type of work. Most of the machines are maxed out for RAM. Probably fastest CPU is less than 2 GHz. Most ram is 2 gig. All are running XP Pro except one pitiful Vista machine.

Some could use more HD space. I know that is a housekeeping thing but just let that slide.

I am lost with the new Thinkpad models. Have no clue what is a good value and what is more sizzle than steak.

We have some repair done by the local shop but I am not confident in their ability to manage bigger repairs as these start to fail.

Suggestions are welcome as to replacement units, that do not have to be new but should be a step up in power and operating system.

Basically I am asking for opinions as to where to look. New laptop brand? Hate to go away from the Thinkpad as it has served us well.

Do we Buy new? Buy used? Buy refurbs? (from?)

As an example we are replacing 20 or so desktops with used HP units Pentium 4's 3 GHz or so, 2 gig ram, XP Pro for about $125 each. These are for PC's that run on casual and regular users desks. Non running much more than Office, Internet access and some proprietary software. Ie no heavy graphics and such.

This is the list of machine models and types we use.

X40 2386-5FU
R61 8932-A17
T42p 2373-HVU
X41 1869-SCU
R40 2897-54U
T42 2379-DWU
R51 1836-H7U
R51 1836-Q4U
X31 Can't get to the model sticker as machine is stuck on the dock

Thanks for any comments.
Rusty

Updated with models
Last edited by rustyh3 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T42p Type 2373-HVU
X41 Type 1869-5CU

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice for new laptops

#2 Post by Harryc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:34 pm

You'll have to be much more specific as to which model Thinkpads you have on hand if you want a recommendation for model upgrades.

rustyh3

#3 Post by rustyh3 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:13 pm

Why can't this be easy?......You are correct, I will work on the list tomorrow. Rusty
T42p Type 2373-HVU
X41 Type 1869-5CU

j-dawg

#4 Post by j-dawg » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:10 pm

How much time and money do you have to put into maintenance? What are your priorities for a computer? For a company with an IT department, you have a remarkably fragmented "fleet" - this indicates to me that you're either willing to put in some time and effort maintaining it, or that you're sick of doing so and want to replace the whole lot.

As far as I can tell, the models of Thinkpad that best maintain the virtues of the Thinkpad line are the T-, X-, and W-series. The Edge, SL-, and L-series are a mixed bag - not up to what the Thinkpad "old guard" may want, as they're more "value-oriented" (ie: cheap) than the three I mentioned.

But to be honest I'm not sure what you're asking. If I were running an IT department, I'd want a fleet of computers that was relatively standardized, which you son't seem to have beyond having all Thinkpads. Are you looking to do that, or are you happy as you are?
X61 Tablet - 1.6GHz C2D, SXGA+, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Vista Business.

i have other laptops but i'll be honest i never use 'em