Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

I would like to over-come this fear. Safe-storing DATA.

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
alofano
Sophomore Member

I would like to over-come this fear. Safe-storing DATA.

#1 Post by alofano » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Hello fellow members.

I have the following set-up. Using ThinkPad with a docking Station as my main PC. I have all my data on the local HDD and as a safety net I have made DVD's to safe-guard my DATA as my back-up.

Now, I have had always this fear ... if someone comes and steals my Laptop he or she will have access to all my personal and financial DATA.

My question is ... it there a way to protect my DATA that is stored in my ThinkPad if such an event should happen ?

I appreciate and cherish your feedback.
Current: T60 Type 1951-52U (COA XP-P)
Past: T23, T41p, X40, X41t, X61s

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: I would like to over-come this fear. Safe-storing DATA.

#2 Post by dr_st » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:38 pm

You can get a hard drive with hardware encryption, or use software-based encryption, such as PGP, or TrueCrypt.

A much simpler thing to do would be to set a hard disk password in the BIOS. This will not encrypt anything, but the hard drive will be inaccessible without the password. There are ways to circumvent the password by messing with the controller or with the drive physically, but this will deter anyone who is not actually after your data. The common thief looking for profit will just toss the hard drive away.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

alofano
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by alofano » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:53 pm

dr_st wrote:You can get a hard drive with hardware encryption, or use software-based encryption, such as PGP, or TrueCrypt.

A much simpler thing to do would be to set a hard disk password in the BIOS. This will not encrypt anything, but the hard drive will be inaccessible without the password. There are ways to circumvent the password by messing with the controller or with the drive physically, but this will deter anyone who is not actually after your data. The common thief looking for profit will just toss the hard drive away.
I think I will try the BIOS P/W. Thanks Dr.
Current: T60 Type 1951-52U (COA XP-P)
Past: T23, T41p, X40, X41t, X61s

tudorthinker

#4 Post by tudorthinker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:00 pm

I have just got a new X201, W7 i5 6Gb RAM. I previously used PGP on my old HP laptop. I have loaded PGP and it runs oh so slowly. I uninstalled the old version and loaded the latest W7 compatible version and it still takes 10 minutes just to load PGP desktop. Does anyone else have PGP running on an X201. The alternative is to use the inbuilt Windows encryption but I am unsure how goo this is.

Thanks