thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:02 am 

Hello,

I have a Thinkpad T61 7659-CTO (WXGA) with what I believe to be a non-LED screen. I recently looked into buying another used T61 or a T400 ... both of these had LED screens and I found (a) the brightness to be noticably less than in the T61 I already own, and, the white has a distinct yellow touch to it and is not as "bright white" as what I am used to. I found it to be unpleasant on the eyes.

Now, are there later models of the T400 that has a brighter screen?

And w.r.t. the new models ( I plan to buy a new Thinkpad soon), have the screens gotten any brighter?

W.r.t. "nits" or "cd/cm", what value would the T61 without LED have, or, if unknown, what value should I be looking for in a new Thinkpad to get a proper brightness? I believe that some of the new models either have 200 or 250 nits.

Can anyone shed some light on this? :)

Thanks in advance! Alexander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:10 am 
Freshman Member

This may help a little:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/m ... 110258.jpg (tried to get both to be the same brightness, left is 8/8 and right is ~8/15)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/m ... 110257.jpg both at max brightness
the left is a dell latitude D630, WXGA CCFL screen, April 2008. right is a thinkpad T400, WXGA+ LED screen, September 2009. the LED screen is more blue and brighter, but the CCFL actually looks pretty good too.

in general an LED backlit screen should be a bit brighter than a CCFL screen.
All T61 14.1" WXGA screens are CCFL and rated at 185 nits, 300:1 contrast ratio. The T400 WXGA+ LED screen is 250 nits, 300:1 contrast ratio.
The T400s/T410s/X300/X301 WXGA+ LED backlit screen is 300 nits. Some W700/X200 thinkpads have a 400 nit screen.

for the thinkpads currently sold, most screens are 200/220/250 nits. the X series has brighter screens, and the high resolution screens are generally brighter for any newer thinkpad.