Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

access connections - wired/wireless profiles with same IP

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
meeotch
Freshman Member

access connections - wired/wireless profiles with same IP

#1 Post by meeotch » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:14 pm

So I have two access connections profiles set up, one for wired and one for wireless access in my home. I have them set to the same static IP, so that my router port rules will work no matter which connection I'm using. When I switch from wired to wireless, the wired adapter correctly disables itself & the wired one connects with no problem. However, going the other direction, the wireless adapter won't disable itself - it just disconnects. This causes the wired adapter to hang at "Waiting for IP configuration". So I'm forced to manually go into network settings and disable the wireless connection before switching every time.

I have "Disable this wireless radio when switching to another location" checked in the wireless profile, but it doesn't seem to disable itself when manually switching. I'm almost positive this worked before. With my T42p, I distinctly remember the machine auto-magically switching to wireless when I pulled it out of the dock. But now the behavior is as stated above.

Any suggestions about how to configure things such that wired/wireless hand off a static IP to each other seamlessly? Ideal would be an automatic switch, but I'll settle for manual. Also, I have a few pieces of software that have licenses tied to the MAC on one of the adapters, so it might be nice to just leave them both enabled all the time (but only one connected, obviously).

This is a w500, windows 7, btw.