Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Can you recommend a wireless Keyboard with trackpad?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
DannyE

Can you recommend a wireless Keyboard with trackpad?

#1 Post by DannyE » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:38 am

Hi all,

Finally my main PCs/Laptops are all USB ports and no PS/2 in sight so i can now get round to all USB peripherals :)

I have a HP xw6200 workstation, new Dell latitude [work issued], and my trusty thinkpads [t42p and t42], so I have ordered a D-Link USB KVM switch. I have a decent monitor but been thinking it is time to upgrade to a wireless keyboard with integral trackpad/trackball. I will be using it a minimum 10hrs a day so it need to be good quality and that is where I have fallen down in my search, most keyboards that I have found of this type seem to be more aimed at recreational purposes with media boxes. I also see a lot of reviews commenting that their quality isn't good in general and reliability isn't what it should be either, so... i am here looking for advice :)

Many thanks in advance :)

Dan
T42-2373-M3G: 1.8Ghz 2Gb 160Gb 14" SXGA+ - XP Pro
T42p-2373-HTG: 1.8Ghz 2Gb 120Gb 15" UXGA - XP Pro
Compaq n600c: 1.13 PIII 512Mb 30Gb 14" SXGA+ - Win2k
X31-2672-CBG: 1.4Ghz 1Gb 40Gb 12" XGA - XP Pro (partners)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Can you recommend a wireless Keyboard with trackpad?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:00 am

I have had quite a bit of experience with KVMs, both PS/2 and USB.
In several cases, the PS/2 keyboard and mouse did not connect properly when switching from one machine to the other.
Admittedly, all my machines were desktops, not laptops.
Due to the above, I have a vague suspicion that a wireless keyboard is not going to work, but who knows?
What you are looking for would be this: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... DT&cat=KYB
Not currently in stock there, but available elsewhere, e.g. here: http://www.amazon.com/IBM-USB-Keyboard- ... B00009APTK
Quite a price difference...
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

DannyE

Re: Can you recommend a wireless Keyboard with trackpad?

#3 Post by DannyE » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi RBS, thanks for the reply.

I have also had issues with ps/2 KVMs, particularly with laptops and docking stations which is one reason i have left it until having all USB. I have a sneaky suspicion you will be right about the wireless. It looks like I can get the trackpoint version of the keyboard on your links for about 80 US Dollars equivalent here in the UK from Amazon which would be a possibility as i quite like the trackpoint, second only to a good trackball (still using a logitech trackman marble+ everyday which must be a decade old!) :)

Many thanks for the pointers, I didn't even realise that Lenovo did these types of keyboards :)

Best regards,

Dan
T42-2373-M3G: 1.8Ghz 2Gb 160Gb 14" SXGA+ - XP Pro
T42p-2373-HTG: 1.8Ghz 2Gb 120Gb 15" UXGA - XP Pro
Compaq n600c: 1.13 PIII 512Mb 30Gb 14" SXGA+ - Win2k
X31-2672-CBG: 1.4Ghz 1Gb 40Gb 12" XGA - XP Pro (partners)