thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:38 am 

Hi all,

Finally my main PCs/Laptops are all USB ports and no PS/2 in sight so i can now get round to all USB peripherals :)

I have a HP xw6200 workstation, new Dell latitude [work issued], and my trusty thinkpads [t42p and t42], so I have ordered a D-Link USB KVM switch. I have a decent monitor but been thinking it is time to upgrade to a wireless keyboard with integral trackpad/trackball. I will be using it a minimum 10hrs a day so it need to be good quality and that is where I have fallen down in my search, most keyboards that I have found of this type seem to be more aimed at recreational purposes with media boxes. I also see a lot of reviews commenting that their quality isn't good in general and reliability isn't what it should be either, so... i am here looking for advice :)

Many thanks in advance :)

Dan

X31-2672-CBG: 1.4Ghz 1Gb 40Gb 12" XGA - XP Pro (partners)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:00 am 
RBS10000
RBS10000

I have had quite a bit of experience with KVMs, both PS/2 and USB.
In several cases, the PS/2 keyboard and mouse did not connect properly when switching from one machine to the other.
Admittedly, all my machines were desktops, not laptops.
Due to the above, I have a vague suspicion that a wireless keyboard is not going to work, but who knows?
What you are looking for would be this: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... DT&cat=KYB
Not currently in stock there, but available elsewhere, e.g. here: http://www.amazon.com/IBM-USB-Keyboard- ... B00009APTK
Quite a price difference...

Check out The Board Room for:
- LED-mods for the 15" T60/R60/R61
- SATA-mods for any T43/R52 with ATI GPU
- other Services

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:52 pm 

Hi RBS, thanks for the reply.

I have also had issues with ps/2 KVMs, particularly with laptops and docking stations which is one reason i have left it until having all USB. I have a sneaky suspicion you will be right about the wireless. It looks like I can get the trackpoint version of the keyboard on your links for about 80 US Dollars equivalent here in the UK from Amazon which would be a possibility as i quite like the trackpoint, second only to a good trackball (still using a logitech trackman marble+ everyday which must be a decade old!) :)

Many thanks for the pointers, I didn't even realise that Lenovo did these types of keyboards :)

Best regards,

Dan

X31-2672-CBG: 1.4Ghz 1Gb 40Gb 12" XGA - XP Pro (partners)