Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Problems with Standby and Samsung SSD Magician under WinXP

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
lophiomys
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Problems with Standby and Samsung SSD Magician under WinXP

#1 Post by lophiomys » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi,

I just painfully found out, that the Samsung SSD Magician prevents System Standby
when running in the background/SystemTray. If the system goes to Standby, it will
wake up immediately, when the Samsung SSD Magician is running.

T60p 2007-AE7, first generation Samsung SSD MCRE28G8...
WinXP SP3

HTH
Lophiomys
Thinkpads with 15inch 4:3 UXGA 133DPI IPS/Flexview: 2x T43p SATA Mod., 3x T42p (dying by Flexing), 2x T60p (1xATI, 1xIntel/new BoeHydis);
R51 SXGA+; X31; X41T; X41 Sata Mod; all Made in China; 570E, 701C; MBP15c3UB non-glossy mid09 / formerly 600X, 760E

flyingsherpa

Re: Problems with Standby and Samsung SSD Magician under WinXP

#2 Post by flyingsherpa » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks for this! Just installed a Samsung 840 in my old x60s and was having the same problem where it wouldn't sleep (among a million other problems... wondering if this "upgrade" was really worth it). Anyway, I know this is an old thread, but it saved me a lot of time...

SkOrPn

Re: Problems with Standby and Samsung SSD Magician under WinXP

#3 Post by SkOrPn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:49 pm

I would be careful with your SSD. My R52 killed my very reliable Crucial M4 SSD just days after installing it. It had worked beautifully for a year or more until I decided I wanted my Thinkpad to run faster. Just about 48 hours or so after installing it into my R52 Windows went to sleep and never woke up. The SSD manufacturer said the drive had a panic or something along those lines caused by my machine and the OS I was using?

SSD's cost too much for me to try again. I do not believe it was the drive, i believe it was my Thinkpad that did not like the SSD. Chances are there is a SSD that will work just fine, but which one is the question.

Anyway, if your Thinkpad is a newer more recent model, one built after SSD's became mainstream I would disgregard this message, but if it has a "Designed for XP or Vista" sticker on it I would think twice. lol