thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:40 pm 
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

Three months ago I bought a unused battery, sealed in the box, for my X61s, from the eBay seller "computeraccess1997" for a very good price. The battery was genuine Lenovo - but the Lenovo Power Manager reported that it had been manufactured in 2006. The seller offered a partial refund, which I accepted.

I knew that batteries don't age well, and I expected this one to fail quickly. I was right. It worked well for about a month, and then the Power Manager reported that it had failed. So this wasn't exactly a bargain.

If you order a battery from "computeraccess1997" you may be disappointed by what you get.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:41 am 
Sophomore Member

Thanks Edward for the information. I have not looked on Ebay for Lenovo batteries since just resently I saw a battery for sale by a forum member. So, I am buying the unit, which the member listed the battery specifications (how much charge it was designed for, how much it can hold) for the unit and I have faith in the member on a personal level that he is an honest person from the emails we have exchanged.

John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:40 pm 
Freshman Member

Thanks for the info.

However I want to note that in theory, anyone could sell a product like that in good faith not realizing that such batteries sometimes have a "sell by date" like milk or produce.

I've bought what appear to be brand-new/sealed genuine Lenovo batteries from ebay sellers before, which worked fine for me. Though it's hard to know whether they are working 100% "as new" without some controlled testing using lots of samples side-by-side.

I would be surprised if there wasn't some sort of date code on the white Lenovo label, though it might be encoded in some way. Knowing that before buying would help a lot. (Of course if it's a counterfeit product, they could print anything they wanted on there)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:55 pm 
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

I couldn't find a human-readable date code on the batteries. I should have been warned by the fact that the batteries weren't in a Lenovo box. I remember that Lenovo's battery boxes have labels with the date of manufacturing on them; I'm not sure that's still true. But now I won't buy a Lenovo battery that isn't in a sealed box.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:41 pm 
Freshman Member

Well I couldn't find any Lenovo battery boxes around here at the moment, but I did have 2 easily-accessible boxes from other IBM/Lenovo products.

On the white labels:

IBM AC adapter from 2004: clearly-printed manufacture date, in "dumb old 2-digit year USA style", ie: MM/DD/YY

Lenovo Serial Ultrabay Slim BluRay MultiDrive II - clearly-printed manufacture date in ISO format, ie: YYYY-MM-DD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:03 am 

Hmm, am I the only one to automatically assume "New old stock" when seeing something "New" related to past-generation ThinkPads on eBay?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:54 am 
Freshman Member

FWIW, I found in this thread, a link to an IBM/Lenovo document that enumerates part labeling standards here. (PDF)

The label layout specifies a datecode format, one of which is human-readable and one of which is encoded in the barcode/serial number, and readable using an app called "i2 eXplore" from a supply-chain management vendor which after a series of acquisitions, is called JDA. LINK

Looking at a 6-cell T400 battery here, I believe the first 3 characters on the left are static ("11S"), the next section looks like the part number (in this case "42T5226" - actually that seems to be the "assembly P/N") and the rest of it include the actual S/N and the part where the manufacturing date is embedded. (In the case of the one I have, that section is "Z1ZFC78B16K1")

Looking in more detail at that PDF file linked above, it appears that the portion of the S/N that is the manufacturing date is the "8B1" part. (The last 6 chars of the S/N are apparently the manufacturing date/lot number)

Which, if I've got this right, would translate to "2008-11-01". (All digits are in hex, 8 is the year after 2000, B is hex notation for "11", and 1 is the day.)