Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Screen nightmare..... T43 to R52

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
ryer

Screen nightmare..... T43 to R52

#1 Post by ryer » Wed May 23, 2012 1:05 pm

I just transplanted an T43 15" SXGA+ IPS screen to an (ATI SXGA+ with dud screen) R52... it works OK, even the wireless (although the signal is awful due to me stuffing in the original T43 wireless stuff.).

The screens were not compatible as I had supposed. I had to basically take the entire screen assembly apart and remove everything and then try to stuff it into the R52 housing (with the T43 wireless card and bluetooth card) - maybe I should have reused the original R52 wireless and BT stuff??

Maybe 100 screws total after taking apart both the old T43 and R52 (NOTE: label these screws or you will have a big problem - guaranteed!!).

I thought it would be a simple job.....

PS. Also the screen switch is in the wrong place on the T43 SXGA+ cable - so I had to hack off inside the R52 case a little or my screen was always off with the bezel in place!!!!

I now have an IPS flexview 15" R52.... with crappy wireless signal!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Screen Overused word..... T43 to R52

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed May 23, 2012 1:42 pm

For your (if there is a) next time: when in doubt, ASK first!
The LCD itself fits in both T4x and R5x (if both are the same size) series, but you need to use R5x LCD-cables and antenna wires in an R5x and T4x c & aw in a T4x, NO mix'n'match as you found out the hard way.
Most likely the antenna wires are not properly aligned inside the R52 lid, hence the crappy reception.
I suggest you start over and do it right this time!
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

ryer

#3 Post by ryer » Wed May 23, 2012 5:19 pm

thanks rbs!

Yes, another screwdriver and screws day coming up.... but it was at least a learning experience...

I mean, it works, sort of, even with the T43 LCD cable... but I agree, if a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well. Point taken!

PS.
Can I use the old R52 inverter with the T43 LCD? It's just that the T43 inverter doesn't fit right...

Also you mention using the correct R52 cable, but how to remove from the LCD???

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Neil » Wed May 23, 2012 5:59 pm

Hey ryer, the R52 inverter will be just fine. To remove the cable from the panel, simply remove the tape covering the connector and pull the cable out of the socket.
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P