thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:42 pm 

I am running a Transcend SSD on T23 platform. When shutting down, there is a "install update" icon on the turn off. After using the shut down, it "updates" only to create files I cant delete. They are all about 10meg an have file names that appear to be randomly generated. My SSD is limited to 8gig and it's about full now.
Have yet to use my ultrabay caddy to attempt a repair, as I have to remove a jumper to insert into the caddy. From what I understand, boot up prevents the files from being remove.
Any suggestions?

What other useless files can I strip out of Xp?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:37 pm 
Admin
Admin

Well, here's some things to think about...

- Remove all System Restore points; since your SSD is only 8GB, this may not recover much space. Right-click My Computer, select Properties, click System Restore tab, check box to Turn off System Restore, click Apply button
- Disable hibernation; if enabled, this will be the same size as your installed memory (1GB maximum in a T23). Right-click the desktop, select Properties, click Screen Saver tab, click Power button, click Hibernate tab, unchceck Enable Hibernation box, click Apply
- Reduce (not eliminate) your pagefile size. Right-click My Computer, select Properties, click Advanced tab, click Settings button under Performance, click (another) Advanced tab, click the Change button under Virtual Memory, click Custom Size and set Initial Size and Maximum Size values at about 1/2 your installed memory size, click Set button, then OK button. You will have to re-boot for the changes to take effect.

The "undeleteable" junk files can probably be deleted either by booting into Safe Mode or by using Windows Explorer or a DOS box to alter the file's attributes (might be set to "Read only").

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:28 pm 

Bot13 wrote:
What other useless files can I strip out of Xp?

Assuming that you create regular image backups of your SSD, here are a few other things to consider to reduce XP disk space usage :
1. delete all "$NTUninstallKB...." folders from the "Windows" folder
2. if your disk files are not already compressed, then you can save some space by compressing the following folders within the "Windows" folder : $hf_mig$, assembly, Installer
3. navigate to "C:\Windows\Software Distribution\Download" ... if there are files there, delete them ... unless you are currently downloading/installing Windows updates
4. navigate to "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp" ... if there are files there, delete them

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:40 pm 

Thank you again rkawakami, if I'm ever in CA, will have to take you to lunch :D
Never considered safe mode, and it was the 1st time I used it. Good exp. Still had to mode file access but it worked w/ a little determination. Already had recovery off. When the drive showed 30meg, though a reload was in the near future. Found a lot of update text files and more random gen file names to delete. Got more than a half gig back. As for the T2x page, it was bookmarked a long time ago and didn't see the FAQ on board index. Learned a new word though :)

@GACrabill, thank you for the tips, will try them in the near future.

The small size is to make tampering more noticeable, but have yet to have any real problems. Majorgeek wasn't as helpful as you guys :lol: