Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Xp update creating undeletable junk files

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
Bot13

Xp update creating undeletable junk files

#1 Post by Bot13 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:42 pm

I am running a Transcend SSD on T23 platform. When shutting down, there is a "install update" icon on the turn off. After using the shut down, it "updates" only to create files I cant delete. They are all about 10meg an have file names that appear to be randomly generated. My SSD is limited to 8gig and it's about full now.
Have yet to use my ultrabay caddy to attempt a repair, as I have to remove a jumper to insert into the caddy. From what I understand, boot up prevents the files from being remove.
Any suggestions?

What other useless files can I strip out of Xp?

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

Re: Xp update creating undeletable junk files

#2 Post by rkawakami » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:37 pm

Well, here's some things to think about...

- Remove all System Restore points; since your SSD is only 8GB, this may not recover much space. Right-click My Computer, select Properties, click System Restore tab, check box to Turn off System Restore, click Apply button
- Disable hibernation; if enabled, this will be the same size as your installed memory (1GB maximum in a T23). Right-click the desktop, select Properties, click Screen Saver tab, click Power button, click Hibernate tab, unchceck Enable Hibernation box, click Apply
- Reduce (not eliminate) your pagefile size. Right-click My Computer, select Properties, click Advanced tab, click Settings button under Performance, click (another) Advanced tab, click the Change button under Virtual Memory, click Custom Size and set Initial Size and Maximum Size values at about 1/2 your installed memory size, click Set button, then OK button. You will have to re-boot for the changes to take effect.

The "undeleteable" junk files can probably be deleted either by booting into Safe Mode or by using Windows Explorer or a DOS box to alter the file's attributes (might be set to "Read only").
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

GACrabill

#3 Post by GACrabill » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Bot13 wrote:What other useless files can I strip out of Xp?
Assuming that you create regular image backups of your SSD, here are a few other things to consider to reduce XP disk space usage :
1. delete all "$NTUninstallKB...." folders from the "Windows" folder
2. if your disk files are not already compressed, then you can save some space by compressing the following folders within the "Windows" folder : $hf_mig$, assembly, Installer
3. navigate to "C:\Windows\Software Distribution\Download" ... if there are files there, delete them ... unless you are currently downloading/installing Windows updates
4. navigate to "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp" ... if there are files there, delete them

Bot13

#4 Post by Bot13 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:40 pm

Thank you again rkawakami, if I'm ever in CA, will have to take you to lunch :D
Never considered safe mode, and it was the 1st time I used it. Good exp. Still had to mode file access but it worked w/ a little determination. Already had recovery off. When the drive showed 30meg, though a reload was in the near future. Found a lot of update text files and more random gen file names to delete. Got more than a half gig back. As for the T2x page, it was bookmarked a long time ago and didn't see the FAQ on board index. Learned a new word though :)

@GACrabill, thank you for the tips, will try them in the near future.

The small size is to make tampering more noticeable, but have yet to have any real problems. Majorgeek wasn't as helpful as you guys :lol: