Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Normal: Closing display lid will make buzz sound go quieter?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
Peter02

Normal: Closing display lid will make buzz sound go quieter?

#1 Post by Peter02 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:33 am

I'm a new owner of a new L540 (I took "general forum" because I don't know if this is a general ThinkPad series issue). Something I wonder about: I plug it in via power plug and go into BIOS or into Diagnostics (memory check e.g.). The fan goes into a high level. So far, so good.

But it buzzes. It buzzes very loud. I'm not a native speaker, so I don't know if the word "buzz" is the right word. It is a deep frequent tone noise that changes if the fan goes into another level. If I try to localize it with my ears, I'd say it comes from the upper left corner near the ESC key (where the fans meet) -- but from the bottom of the laptop.

Now the thing I don't understand: If I close the display lid fullly, i.e. 100%, (while still being in BIOS or Diagnostics so the laptop does not shut down), the buzzing sound will get massively quieter (maybe only 10-20% of the buzz noise will remain). The fan noise (swoosh) itself will remain unchanged.

If I don't close the lid 100%, the display will go out, but the deep buzz noise will remain on 100%. So it only will get quieter if I close the display lid 100%.

My question: Is this a normal behaviour of a ThinkPad?

(I don't have a ssd but a hitachi SATA. Is that the reason? But why does the buzz tone changes with the fan noise level?)
(I did not install in the battery yet because I might have to send the laptop back. Could installing the battery help with the buzz noise?)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Normal: Closing display lid will make buzz sound go quie

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:50 am

Welcome to the forum.

Assuming it's a new machine with warranty, I would return it in exchange for another one.
L540 is a lower-quality machine, and not considered a real Thinkpad.
But regardless, noise like that is unacceptable in any laptop.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Neil » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:00 pm

Peter02 wrote:My question: Is this a normal behaviour of a ThinkPad?
No....not at all! I don't know what the problem is, but I can assure you something is wrong.
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

Peter02

#4 Post by Peter02 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Thank you both really much!

After one last check I noticed that the sounds originate from the whole keyboard! If I hold down some keys in the left upper corner (e.g. F2, F3, Q, W, E keys) the buzz sound becomes much, much quieter. It seems it is the whole keyboard which is vibrating otherwise...

One last question because I fail to classify the severity of the problem: Is this something one could fix oneself without too much hassle or should one return it because of possible warranty loss and because it is not so easy?