Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

More Fn-F5 problems

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
bwd

More Fn-F5 problems

#1 Post by bwd » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:07 pm

I know this has been discussed numerous times in the past, but I'm hoping someone can help since I have been unable to fix it and it is really frustrating. A week ago on my brand new T60 (200772U with 3945abg), without knowing any better, I did a system update and it updated my Intel driver to 10.1.1.3. Now my Access Connections will not work and I can't use the Fn-F5 key ('cannot power on wireless radio...update driver').

I have reviewed some of the posts on this: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and I have tried the following:

- removed AC and Intel Proset wireless (using Add/Remove and also Your Uninstaller 2006)
- rebooted, cancelled windows found new hardware, then reinstalled Intel Proset using the setup.exe with no luck
- used the vbs script after uninstall of intel proset also with no luck
- looked for LIBEAY32.DLL but it is not in the windows path, and the path had intel at the top of the list
- also followed mj's advice with the ACPI and hotkey install and this also did not work, although I just reinstalled the the hotkey utility and Im not sure if this is the same.

When I follow Riddil's advice about the wireless supplicant (Open Device Manager, and from the menu bar choose the option for "View" -> "Show Hidden devices"...). Now I DO NOT see AEGIS listed here. I am wondering if this is part of my problem? I have removed the intel proset wireless using setup.exe to remove, rebooted then installed using setup.exe and still no AEGIS. I am running out of options and Lenovo support hasn't been too helpful.

Other clues - windows wireless works fine, but Fn-F5 doesn't and AC when installed thinks the wireless is turned off. PC doctor for the wireless card gives an internal error on wireless signal strength test and network link test, TCP/IP comm test fails. As I mentioned AC and Fn-F5 worked fine before a System Update updated the wireless driver.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Dave

PS I love the laptop otherwise. Not happy with Lenovo Canada's support. The first time I called they tried to send me the vbs script and it did not go though (apparently blocked by their web server). The next time I called they said they couldn't send this file out and the only option for me was to reinstall Windows :evil:.
--------
http://www.bigwavedave.ca
Victoria, BC Canada
T60 200772U / T2500 2Ghz Core Duo / 2gb ram / 100GB 5400rpm / x1400 128mb / 15" Flexview 1400x1050 / 3945abg / 6 and 9 cell

mattfromomaha
Moderator1
Moderator1

#2 Post by mattfromomaha » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:51 pm

I had the problem of losing Fn-F5 and Access Connections not doing anything with wireless yesterday after updating my 2200BG drivers from IBM's website. Copying libeay322.dll from the C:\Prog...\Intel\Wireless\Bin to c:\Win...\System 32 fixed it for me.

Thank god, too - I was about to a system restore to get the functionality back!

bwd

Thanks

#3 Post by bwd » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:16 pm

Hi Matt:

Thank you for the suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work. I have almost given up on it for now. Wireless works well under Windows, but I do miss AC and the Fn-F5 functionality. I ordered the IBM 802.1 a/b/g (40Y7026) so I'm hoping that works better for me.
thanks again,
dave
Victoria BC, Canada Image
T60 2007-72U / 2GHz T2500 / 2GB RAM / 100GB@7200 / 15" Flexview 1400x1050 / X1400 (128MB) / IBM 11abg / BT / 6 + 9 cell / XP Pro

mfratt

Re: Thanks

#4 Post by mfratt » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:52 am

bwd wrote:Hi Matt:

Thank you for the suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work. I have almost given up on it for now. Wireless works well under Windows, but I do miss AC and the Fn-F5 functionality. I ordered the IBM 802.1 a/b/g (40Y7026) so I'm hoping that works better for me.
thanks again,
dave
I have the Thinkpad Wireless card and I have the same problem.

GomJabbar

#5 Post by GomJabbar » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:12 am

OK, I'll take a stab at your problem. It sounds like you have been generally following the correct procedures. But see if the following will help.

To begin with, you are not using the latest Intel drivers available from Lenovo. They are up to version Version: 10.5.0.0 API, Release Date: 2006/09/01.

Intel PRO 2200bg, 2915abg, 3945bg, and 3945abg Mini PCI adapter wireless software for Windows 2000, XP - ThinkPad

Note the following from the above page:
Lenovo wrote:Notes:

* If you use Access Connections, it must be updated to:

. * Version 4.11 or higher for Intel PRO/Wireless 3945bg / 3945abg Network Connection
. * Version 4.12 or higher for Intel PRO/Wireless 2200bg / 2915abg Network Connection

* Hotkey Features for Windows 2000/XP must be version 1.24.0603 or higher for all

If you currently use IEEE 802.1x authentication on Windows XP Service Pack 1 and do not use WPA encryption, Lenovo recommends you uninstall Q826942 (WPA Supplicant update rollup package in Windows XP) and Q815485 (WPA Wireless Security Update in Windows XP). This does not apply if you are running Windows XP Service Pack 2.

To check if Q826942 or Q815485 is installed and to uninstall it:
1. Start Windows XP and logon with administrative privileges.
2. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
3. Click Add or Remove Programs.
4. Click Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q826942 or Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q815485 if it is listed under Currently installed programs.
5. Click Remove and follow the instructions on the screen.
Note:
The above action will remove all the fixes within the update rollup package, Q826942. You may need to re-install the other specific hotfixes you expect for this rollup package.
Use the above Intel drivers and Access Connections version 4.12.

Software and Device Drivers - ThinkPad T60, T60p

I suggest the following:
1. Use Software Installer to uninstall Hotkey Driver. If you don't see it in Software Installer, try running setup.exe in C:\DRIVERS\WIN\HOTKEY or C:\IBMTOOLS\drivers\HOTKEY.
2. Reboot.
3. Use Software Installer to uninstall Access Connections.
4. Reboot.
5. Use Software Installer to uninstall Intel(R) PRO/Wireless Driver (11a,b,g, 11b,g).
6. Reboot.
7. Cancel any Found Hardware Wizard.
8. Use Software Installer to install Hotkey driver.
9. Reboot.
10. Cancel any Found Hardware Wizard.
11. Use Software Installer to install Intel Wireless driver, version 10.5.0.0 API.
12. Reboot.
13. Use Software Installer to install Access Connections 4.12.
14. Reboot.

If you still have trouble, try the following: How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption
DKB

RMForlenza

#6 Post by RMForlenza » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:04 am

I have a T60p wth Intel 3945abg, Bluetooth & Verizon WAN and am having the same issue.

The problem began following SystemUpdate of the Hotkey File and the wireless network driver.

I have done all of the suggested untinstall, reinstall sequence; as well as the vbs scrub which found no instances to remove.

I am usng the latest version 10.5.0.0 and that does appear to be where the problem is. There seems to be an issue between that driver and the hotkey solution. Everything works fine in windows, but Fn+F5 will only allow power control of the Bluetooth and Verizon WAN radios, not the Intel 3945abg radio.
Rob Forlenza
-------------------------------------------------------
T60p (2623-DDU)
2 gb RAM
Windows XPPro

Formerly: A31p

GomJabbar

#7 Post by GomJabbar » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:21 am

RMForlenza wrote:I am usng the latest version 10.5.0.0 and that does appear to be where the problem is. There seems to be an issue between that driver and the hotkey solution. Everything works fine in windows, but Fn+F5 will only allow power control of the Bluetooth and Verizon WAN radios, not the Intel 3945abg radio.
I have the Intel 2200bg radio, and I am using all the latest drivers without a problem. I don't know, maybe there is a problem with the Intel 3945abg. However, I can hardly believe that Lenovo didn't test the driver with their latest hardware. Probably something got corrupted in the registry. It may take a fresh install of Windows to fix. But before trying that, I would try Windows System Restore to go to a point before you originally applied the updates that caused your problem.

EDIT: One other idea. I do not have bluetooth. Maybe users with bluetooth need to uninstall and reinstall that driver as well - while Access Connections is uninstalled - then reinstall Access Connections.

EDIT2: Also make sure not to allow Windows to control the connection. Open Properties on the wireless adapter, click on Configure and make sure box is unchecked to allow Windows to control the connection. FWIW, I also have WZC service Stopped and Disabled.
DKB

RMForlenza

Resolved

#8 Post by RMForlenza » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:41 am

The LIBEAY32.DLL solution worked for me.

Lenovo/IBM has a sheet up regarding this issue, MIGR-64439 posted on 2006-06-06.

The frustration today is knowing that I wasted hours yesterday on the phone with tech support, removing and reinstalling applications, etc, when there was an extremely simple solution/workaround already out there for the exact situation that I was in. I can't answer for anyone else, but I have grown weary of the solutions being uninstall and reinstall.

Next time I'll check here before going to those who are supposed to be the one's to help.
Rob Forlenza
-------------------------------------------------------
T60p (2623-DDU)
2 gb RAM
Windows XPPro

Formerly: A31p

GomJabbar

Re: Resolved

#9 Post by GomJabbar » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:59 am

RMForlenza wrote:The LIBEAY32.DLL solution worked for me.

Lenovo/IBM has a sheet up regarding this issue, MIGR-64439 posted on 2006-06-06.

The frustration today is knowing that I wasted hours yesterday on the phone with tech support, removing and reinstalling applications, etc, when there was an extremely simple solution/workaround already out there for the exact situation that I was in. I can't answer for anyone else, but I have grown weary of the solutions being uninstall and reinstall.

Next time I'll check here before going to those who are supposed to be the one's to help.
I thought you had already tried this; as it was posted earlier in the thread by the OP. Also, I had kind of assumed that the latest driver would not still have this issue. You are correct; all these uninstalls and reinstalls are very time consuming. I have been doing this all along for the last year or so whether upgrading either the wireless driver or Access Connections. I haven't had any problems as a result.
DKB

bwd

Thanks for the suggestions...

#10 Post by bwd » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:34 pm

mfratt wrote:I have the Thinkpad Wireless card and I have the same problem.
That is disappointing. I was hoping it was a problem with the Intel software and AC. I will find out when my new wireless card arrives in a week or so. I'm unhappy with the signal strength on the 3945 anyway, so hopefully the IBM card is better (Atheros based I believe).
GomJabbar wrote:OK, I'll take a stab at your problem. It sounds like you have been generally following the correct procedures. But see if the following will help.
Thank you GomJabbar for all of the suggestions. I appreciate the time you took to help. I followed your steps 1-14 with no luck and checked for winsock corruption and it is ok. I even reinstalled bluetooth and checked that windows wasn't controlling the connection and WZC was stopped. Nothing has worked so far. I also tried a Windows system Restore a few weeks ago, but of course every point I use before the original Intel driver update does not work. Argh, I'm guessing that you are correct when you say a fresh install of windows may be my only option. I have to think about it to see if it is worth it. I am still hoping that the IBM wireless card will work properly, but maybe it won't be any different.

In my original post I mention the AEGIS not being lised - does this mean anything to anyone? If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

dave
T60 2007-72U / 2GHz T2500 / 2GB RAM / 100GB@7200 / 15" Flexview 1400x1050 / X1400 (128MB) / IBM 11abg / BT / 6 + 9 cell / XP Pro

GomJabbar

#11 Post by GomJabbar » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:48 pm

I just read the following in the thread below:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=60
brsnyder wrote:This board is incredible. I searched for the problem I was having, and within five minutes I had the solution. Thanks!!
mj wrote:
Directions to fix function F5 so that you can turn on/off your wireless connection. At least, this is what worked for me with a 3945agb, instructions originally provided by a thinkpad tech.

You must follow the order, otherwise it won't work.
Download, but do not install the following items from the Lenovo website (not intel).

Intel Driver
Hotkey Driver
ACPI Power management driver
Access connections

Follow these steps.
1. Using the control panel, uninstall access connections and intel wireless.
2. Reboot.
3. Install ACPI power management driver.
4. Reboot.
5. Install Hotkey driver.
6. Reboot.
7. Install Intel driver.
8. Reboot.
9. Test Fn+F5. You should now be able to toggle on and off the wireless device.
10. If #9 works, reinstall access connections.

Hope this helps someone.
Could it be the ACPI Power management driver is the missing piece of the puzzle?

Alternatively, you may have a bad Intel 3945 card. Have you tried running PC-Doctor?
DKB

bwd

#12 Post by bwd » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:04 pm

GomJabbar wrote:I just read the following in the thread below:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=60
Could it be the ACPI Power management driver is the missing piece of the puzzle? Alternatively, you may have a bad Intel 3945 card. Have you tried running PC-Doctor?
I did try the ACPI/hotkey suggestion (it's buried in my original post). It is possible that I have a bad card. PC Doctor reports an Internal Error for both the Wireless Signal Strength and Network Link Test. It's just strange that AC worked perfectly before the original Intel driver update and also that Windows wireless works fine now. That points to more of a software/registry problem? I'm confused about the PC doctor failed tests, I suppose I will wait to try out the new IBM card and let you know if that fixes it,
thanks
dave

GomJabbar

#13 Post by GomJabbar » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:18 pm

bwd wrote:It's just strange that AC worked perfectly before the original Intel driver update and also that Windows wireless works fine now. That points to more of a software/registry problem?
I think you might be right. I didn't go back to reread your original post. :oops:
DKB

JohnDrake
Sophomore Member

#14 Post by JohnDrake » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:58 pm

Yah know, you have to search the ENTIRE DRIVE for LIBEAY32.DLL ...lots of programs can use it or supply an outdated version...

wuyuren

SOLUTION

#15 Post by wuyuren » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:06 pm

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:40 am Post subject: libeay32.dll problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I happend to have the same problem as yours. Fn+F5 complain cannot enable power state for 802.11 device. Access connection does not detect wireless card. I spent tons of time duirng the past week trying to follow all those sequeces of un-install/re-install. Finally I tried the approach to replace the libeay32.dll under c:\windows with the one under C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin.
It worked!

Well, so far the best approach I can see is to uninstall powe rmanager, hotkey, intel wireless driver, access connection, and then reboot. (You do not need to unstall them one by one , just one step from ibm installer or from control panel)

After reboot, cancel the find new hardware wizard.
Use ibm installer or think advantage system upgrade. It will detect all those components you just uninstalled. and download them install them automatically.

Then go to your c:\windows directory, rename the libeay32.dll to lib32.dll.bak, go to C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin, copy libeay32.dll to c:\windows

Reboot!

You should have all those lovely features of wireless radio/connection control back to you !

Cheers!
:arrow: :roll: :oops: :P :shock: :? :lol:

bwd

Re: SOLUTION

#16 Post by bwd » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 pm

Hi wuyuren - I did try renaming all instances of libeay32.dll to libeay32.dll.bak (except the intel one) and I also tried copying the version from C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin to c:\windows as you suggested (see post #2 and 3 above). I also tried the uninstall/install approach of the power manager, hotkey, intel wireless driver, access connections. :cry: Thank you for the suggestions anyway.

Since then I have replaced the 3945 intel card with the IBM Thinkpad 11a/b/g wireless card (40Y7026) and have had partial success. Without Access Connections installed I can now turn wireless off and on using Fn-F5 (before I got the 'cannot enable power state for 802.11 device' message). But when I install AC v4.12 it still thinks the wireless is OFF and Fn-F5 cannot control wireless (I turned off WZC and the checkbox to allow windows to control the adapter). AC also cannot find any networks and the bootup time increased substantially. I even tried the uninstall/reinstall of power manager etc again with no luck. So I have Fn-F5 back 8), but just no AC :evil:. I might have to wait for a new AC version unless someone has a suggestion to get AC to work with the Thinkpad 11a/b/g wireless card...?

thanks
dave

Wiz

#17 Post by Wiz » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:41 pm

bwd wrote:Since then I have replaced the 3945 intel card with the IBM Thinkpad 11a/b/g wireless card (40Y7026) and have had partial success. Without Access Connections installed I can now turn wireless off and on using Fn-F5 (before I got the 'cannot enable power state for 802.11 device' message). But when I install AC v4.12 it still thinks the wireless is OFF and Fn-F5 cannot control wireless (I turned off WZC and the checkbox to allow windows to control the adapter). AC also cannot find any networks and the bootup time increased substantially. I even tried the uninstall/reinstall of power manager etc again with no luck. So I have Fn-F5 back 8), but just no AC :evil:. I might have to wait for a new AC version unless someone has a suggestion to get AC to work with the Thinkpad 11a/b/g wireless card...?
I did the same thing to replace my Intel 2200bg with the IBM a/b/g. I exported my connections from AC, uninstalled AC, Intel driver, Proset and all the Intel stuff releated to my Intel wireless. Then i removed a key that was left in the registry and shutdown my computer. After i installed the new wlan adapter i started the computer, installed the latest driver from Lenovo, installed AC and imported my connections again. Then i had to change each profile in AC since all profiles were still associated to the Intel adapter that was now listed as a unknown adapter and the new IBM a/b/g was not listed at all for all of my profiles. I unchecked the unknown adapter, clicked Ok and select to modify that connection again and i could now see the IBM a/b/g listed and able to select that one.

Been using the IBM adapter for some weeks now without a single disconnect which i couldn't say about the useless Intel 2200bg.

Did you uninstall the Intel software before you installed the IBM a/b/g adapter? Is Aegis still missing from device manager? The Aegis is used for 802.1x, but if missing it seems like something failed during the installation of your driver so not sure what problems that could cause.

bwd

#18 Post by bwd » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:03 am

Wiz wrote:Did you uninstall the Intel software before you installed the IBM a/b/g adapter?
Hi Wiz: good questions. I was super paranoid so I uninstalled all of the intel software, power manager and the hotkey drivers. I installed the new card then installed the power manager, hotkey and the new IBM adapter driver (with reboots in between all). AC was already uninstalled. When I installed the IBM adapter software (v4.1.102.147) at the end when the reboot message comes up, Windows pops up a found new hardware 'Ethernet controller' message (the same message when I rebooted to install the hotkey etc and hit cancel), but this was at the end of the adapter install. If I hit cancel and reboot, then no wireless is installed and the found new hardware pops up again. The only way to get it to go away is to point it to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\WLLANATH\WINXP_2K. I tried this 2 times with the same results. Now, without AC installed, Fn-f5 works as expected and wireless works under windows.

With AC installed, Fn-F5 doesn't work, it finds no wireless networks, it sees the IBM abg but reports the MAC address as 00:00:00. The wired LAN works with AC.
Wiz wrote:Is Aegis still missing from device manager? The Aegis is used for 802.1x, but if missing it seems like something failed during the installation of your driver so not sure what problems that could cause.
AEGIS is still missing and I'm not sure why or how to get it. It sounds like something is wrong. I found aegisI5.exe in c:\windows\system32 but when I try to install it using aegisI5 -vendor Meetinghouse it gives me an installation failed 1411 error message, 'Class does not exist'. I'm in over my head on this one...
thanks
dave

Wiz

#19 Post by Wiz » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:26 am

Sounds like something went wrong with the installation of the driver for some reason. I really have no idea why the Aegis isn't installed correctly. Not sure if the IBM driver installation create a log file that could contain some more info.

In registry under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}" you can find a list of your adapters. Do you have something left there from the Intel adapter? And could that cause any problems with AC?
Also under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" there could be something left from the Intel adatper.

On my computer i cannot find anything related to the Intel adapter under any of these keys.

When i installed the atheros adapter in my PC i got the new hardware found popup when the computer started for the first time. Then i clicked cancel, installed the driver and after a reboot everything worked just fine and no more new hardware found popups.

Maybe a Windows reinstall is the easiest and fastest way to solve the problem.

bwd

Success....!

#20 Post by bwd » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:50 pm

Wiz wrote:Sounds like something went wrong with the installation of the driver for some reason....Maybe a Windows reinstall is the easiest and fastest way to solve the problem.
Thanks again Wiz. I checked the keys and there is no Intel info there. I took your advice and I'm trying a factory restore. A little extreme maybe but it seems to have done the trick. I kept putting it off and trying to find a solution, but if I look at the time I spent already on this I think a reinstall would have been easiest a long time ago.

After 3 hrs of restore, windows and IBM updates I'm happy to report that I now have AEGIS and the install of the adapter went properly :P I just installed AC and its working...woohoo. Now I just have to reinstall all those programs again, oh well it's worth it I think.

I think something was wrong since day 1 when I first got the laptop - Bluetooth also did not install properly and I had to point it directly to the drivers to get it to work at all. Same with my BT mouse. I just tried BT and it installed fine, compared to the 4hrs it took me to get it to work originally.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, this forum is great.
dave

Wiz

Re: Success....!

#21 Post by Wiz » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:29 pm

bwd wrote:Thanks again Wiz. I checked the keys and there is no Intel info there. I took your advice and I'm trying a factory restore. A little extreme maybe but it seems to have done the trick. I kept putting it off and trying to find a solution, but if I look at the time I spent already on this I think a reinstall would have been easiest a long time ago.
Good to hear the problem is solved. I have done the same thing several times. Spend many hours or even days trying to solve a problem and figured it would have been much faster to do a reinstall.....and i will probably do it again several times:)

antera309

Re: More Fn-F5 problems

#22 Post by antera309 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:01 am

bwd wrote:I know this has been discussed numerous times in the past, but I'm hoping someone can help since I have been unable to fix it and it is really frustrating. A week ago on my brand new T60 (200772U with 3945abg), without knowing any better, I did a system update and it updated my Intel driver to 10.1.1.3. Now my Access Connections will not work and I can't use the Fn-F5 key ('cannot power on wireless radio...update driver').
bwd, I suspect that you have the same problem as the one my Company has had with several of its staff's T42 notebooks. We have been formatting the hard disks and rebuilding them from scratch up till now, but we (and the users) are getting fed up with this, so we need a more acceptable solution.

I think I've found the root cause. It seems that certain registry keys get wiped out when you uninstall Intel ProSET Wireless and DO NOT get re-populated when you re-install it.

One of the registry keys in question is:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\s24trans

This is the driver for the "WLAN Transport" service. The registry keys which make the "WLAN Transport" Protocol appear in Network settings are there, but the ones that actually casue the driver to be executed are not. In other words, the "WLAN Transport" that Windows sees becomes a "phantom". The ProSET Wireless installer sees this phantom and says "OK, that's already installed - I don't need to re-install it!" and doesn't.

I found this out by comapring the registries of two identical T42s, one that was exhibiting the problem and one that wasn't.

If anyone is still experiencing the problem, have a look for the above registry key on the affected machine. If it is absent then there's your problem.

I'm going to go to IBM with this.
Regards,
Nick.

bwd

Re: More Fn-F5 problems

#23 Post by bwd » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:59 pm

antera309 wrote:bwd, I suspect that you have the same problem as the one my Company has had with several of its staff's T42 notebooks.
Hi Nick: thank you very much for the info. I wish you were around a month ago and then I could have tried this out. In the meantime I've replaced my Intel wifi card with the IBM card and have done 2 system restores since then, and so far all is well, I bet your suggestion could help others though,
thanks
dave

antera309

#24 Post by antera309 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:54 am

Right - Here's how to fix this problem under Windows XP SP2:

You will need the install files for the latest versions of the following on your hard disk:
- IBM Access Connections
- IBM Hotkey Utility
- Driver for Intel PRO/1000 Cabled network card
- Intel ProSET Wireless (inc Intel 2200BG wireless network card driver)

1) Uninstall Access Connections. Don't reboot.

2) Uninstall Hotkey driver. Don't reboot.

3) Uninstall Intel ProSet Wireless (inc. 2200BG driver). Don't reboot.

4) Search the C:\WINDOWS\INF folder for any files containing "2200BG". Delete any OEMxx.INF files containing this string

5) Reboot

6) Uninstall any other software that includes network components (e.g. VPN client software)

7) In Device Manager, uninstall the driver for the Wired Ethernet PRO/1000 adapter.

8 ) Start REGEDIT and make the following registry deletions - THESE ARE THE KEYS THAT THE INTEL PROSET WIRELESS UNINSTALLER SHOULD REMOVE, AND DOESN'T!!

For all keys under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, look at the "Name" value in the "Connection" subkey. Delete ALL keys EXCEPT the one for "Bluetooth Network connection".

For all keys under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E975-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}}, look at the "Description" value. Delete they keys for "WLAN Transport" and "AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x) vx.x.x.x"

Delete keys:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_AEGISP
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_S24TRANS
(you will need to give yourself write permissions to these keys first)

Delete Keys:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AegisP
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\s24Trans

9) In System Properties-Advanced-Environment variables, you will see the string ;C:\Program files\Intel\Wireless\Bin will appear in the PATH system variable. This is another piece of sloppyness on the part of the Intel ProSET Wireless uninstaller. Delete it out and go OK.

10) Reboot

11) Using Device Manager, force a re-install of the latest version of the Intel PRO/1000 Cabled network adapter (choose "I will choose the driver to install" then "Have disk" and provide the location on the hard disk with the PRO/100 driver files for XP). Reboot if prompted.

11) Install Intel ProSET Wireless, choose Custom Install, and make sure both components are selected for installation. Reboot when prompted.

12) Right-click "My network places" and choose "Properties". Right-click "Wireless Network Connection" and choose "Propertes". On the "Wireless Networks" tab, un-tick the checkbox marked "Allow Windows to manage wireless networks" and click OK.

13) Install the IBM Hotkey utility. Don't reboot.

14) Install IBM Access Connections. Don't reboot.

15) Copy file LIBEAY32.DLL from C:\Program files\Intel\Wireless\Bin to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.

16) Reboot.

17) Re-install any network software (e.g. VPN client) that you might have uninstalled earlier and reboot again.

After the reboot, everything should work as intended!
Regards,
Nick.

kano

#25 Post by kano » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:02 pm

Thanks Nick,
After five months your procedure plus Winsock reset (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html) solve my Fn+F5 problem.
Regards,
KaNo

pietjepuk

IBM's response to my request for support on this problem

#26 Post by pietjepuk » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:01 am

So IBM wants me to pay to get support on this problem!!!!!!

Here is there response to me:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir/Madam,

For software support, please call us on 01475 555 055, or for hardware please call 08705 500 900. Please have the type and serial number ready since you will be asked for it.
Please note that the software support is chargeable after the first 30 days.
Hardware support is free during the warranty period.

Thank you for using IBM Electronic Support and Services.

Mikael Sandström
IBM Worldwide Electronic Support and Services

IBM Personal Computing Division
http://www.ibm.com/pc/support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pietjepuk

#27 Post by pietjepuk » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:13 am

I am seeing the same issues using the IBM 11 a/b/g wireless LAN mini pci adapter.
It must indeed be some leftover items in the registry that makes everything go haywire.
I have tried to remove drivers, reinstall them all in different sequences, no luck.
Quite often the ac sw hangs the pc when trying to reboot. Removing drivers only works in safe mode for me.
The drivers do not respond to any communication from the application level, radio controll, driver setting updates etc etc, they all lock up the pc once the pc is in a corrupted network stack state.
I now have backup of a working environment based on the shipped drivers with the system.
The recovery and restore allows me to quickly ( 3/4 hr ) to restore the system to this point, after being fed up rebuilding the laptop via the restore factory default options.

Regards
Peter

pietjepuk

#28 Post by pietjepuk » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:30 pm

Hello,

Some more food for thought.
I noticed that my infra red port was picking up a laptop next to me. As I do not use the port I decided to switch it off using the thinkvantage config tool. Also switched the serial and paralel port off as I do not need them either.

Guess what; after a reboot the entired network stack was dead, no network detection, no radio control overthe wireless card.

So this all seems to point to some strange issue with IRQ handling in the intel network drivers.

Has anyone been able to get in touch with ibm/lenovo about this?

Regards
Peter

pietjepuk

tvt filter, something thinkpad specific?

#29 Post by pietjepuk » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:55 pm

More network issues.
Have got the networking to work ok, using the factory default acc and wireless drivers. Updated the mt mobile network driver to latest version. So far so good.
Next hurdle was cisco 3000 vpn client. Each time I install it the network stack stops working. winsockxpfix is great here but the vpn software is not being able to make a connection.
After trying various options I finally traced it down to the tvt packet filter option ( under properties of each network connection) disabling that option brought vpn to live.
This tvt option seems to be something specific for thinkpad access connections.
Does any one has more info on this?

Regards
Peter

jared

#30 Post by jared » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:28 pm

Decided it was time to try the solution below. Fairly certain I followed the instructions properly. However....#9 didn't seem to exist on my machine.

And when I've tried to reinstall the Intel Pro/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection, I'm getting the following error:

"Adapter state not found in registry"

I seem to be totally stuck at the moment!

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

-J
antera309 wrote:snipped