Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Fast enough laptop displays, since when?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
Lapster

Fast enough laptop displays, since when?

#1 Post by Lapster » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:56 am

Since when started the ThinkPad-laptop displays or laptop displays in general to be suitable for gaming? I have an old TP(365XD) and the display is very slow so it doesn't meet my retro gaming needs. My intention, as you might guess, is to buy a cheap but adequate replacement. Can you mention any perticular models? TIA!

Lapster

#2 Post by Lapster » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:09 am

Anyone?

scottv

#3 Post by scottv » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:08 am

Not sure what you're after, but I have a 1.6Ghz T41 and when I play MS Flight Simulator, I can get 20fps without any problems.

Cat5

Re: Fast enough laptop displays, since when?

#4 Post by Cat5 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:55 am

Lapster wrote:Since when started the ThinkPad-laptop displays or laptop displays in general to be suitable for gaming? I have an old TP(365XD) and the display is very slow so it doesn't meet my retro gaming needs. My intention, as you might guess, is to buy a cheap but adequate replacement. Can you mention any perticular models? TIA!
I played [note the past tense, i really play once in 100 years :) ] Aliens vs. predator 2 on my TP T41 1.4c 512mb 40gig and since that's a FPS i didn't have any monitor slowness or shadowing, it went smooth... Btw, my T41 IMHO has a better screen then a lot of LCD panels i have seen!

namezero

#5 Post by namezero » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:16 am

When???....

Like at least for another few years.

CPU and memory wise, laptops are catching up fast. Dothan from Intel actually handles game pretty well:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content ... ing&page=1

The current limitations are on LCDs and also the graphic card. 6800Go and ATI M28 are somewhat power hungry and also increases the weight/size of laptop due to increase of size on battery/heatsink/fan/etc.

Take a look at desktop LCDs. Even without size and power limitation, they're still struggling over response time, or color accuracy, or shading, or mixture of them.

Some recent LCDs have impressive response time (advertised 8ms, lab shows closer to 20ms but which still beats most of other claimed-25ms LCDs).

For those who plays simulations, especially flying ones, response time won't be very important. 20 FPS is OK, and it won't stress on LCD speed too much.

For the FPS fans like Halo, Unreal, Half Life (and its various mods), Quake, Doom, etc etc, ... LCD screens sometimes just don't cut it. Some dark corners can be completely "blind spot" on LCDs while still visible on CRTs.

Give the designers/engineers some time and money, and they will figure something out in next 20 to 30 years.