Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad hard drive shock protection question.

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
rocketman

Thinkpad hard drive shock protection question.

#1 Post by rocketman » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:57 am

How does the Thinkpad hard drive shock protection work? Lets say in the future when faster hard drives come out and I want to upgrade does that mean I'll lose the shock protection? Is it the particular hard drive used or some kind of protector that surrounds it?

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by jdhurst » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:29 am

The hard drive protection requires the hard drive firmware and the IBM Active Protection System to be in harmony. You can upgrade to faster drives, but you need to check the drive for newest firmware, and check the IBM APS to make sure it recognizes the drive. I lost one drive because of incompatability early this year. The incident was well known and publicized at the time. ... JD Hurst

benz
Moderator1
Moderator1

#3 Post by benz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:38 am

In addition to what jdhurst said, the key to APS is the accelerometer, which is mounted directly on the motherboard. So if your Thinkpad doesn't have it, theres really no way to upgrade to it without replacing the motherboard.
IBM ThinkPad T42p (2373GVU)

NEW!
Lenovo ThinkPad T60 (2007MS2)

Ghostrider
Freshman Member

#4 Post by Ghostrider » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:54 am

I think the first question was "how does it work".

Code: Select all

IBM ThinkPad HDD Shock Absorber
The IBM ThinkPad HDD Shock Absorber helps protect your hard drive and prevent hard drive failure due to operational shock and other common types of shock events. Like an automobile bumper, it absorbs some shocks to help prevent damage — whether the system is turned on or off — and provides up to 30% more protection than the system case alone38.
This one is clear to understand. If the notebook falls down there is a physical shock absorbtion by a damping material that will reduce the force applied to the harddrive.

But what you mean may be mentioned in this article... Lot of marketing blabla:

Code: Select all

IBM Active Protection System
The IBM Active Protection System features an integrated motion sensor that continuously monitors your notebook, providing up to four times greater impact protection than systems without this feature. Using technology similar to that which controls automobile airbags, the system can detect sudden changes in motion and temporarily stop the hard drive to help protect data from some crashes which may occur in everyday notebook accidents. It also can automatically adjust sensitivity levels when repetitive motion is detected.
So there is a build-in sensor in your notebook that tracks motions of the notebook all the time. If there is a sudden acceleration (like it happens while falling) a signal is send to the harddrive to park it's heads in a safe position so that they will not crash on the surface of the platers when the notebook hits the ground.
A simple parking signal should work with all drives BUT I am not sure if this is some kind of "emergency stop" that is just compatible with selected drives that IBM uses.
Nevertheless you should hope that you will never have to experience this technique. ... your notebook will be damaged "just" your data will be safe. For business people this may be much more important - and worth much more money - than the whole notebook. For me it's still the other way around. ;)
Regards,
Ghostrider