thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
IBM & lenovo legacy model ThinkPad support files are available on thinkpads.com.
including Hardware Maintenance Manuals, latest or final driver updates and more.
at: thinkpads.com

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:02 pm 

The display on my 1200 is going. I do not want to use an external monitor with it, rather, I'd like to replace the display. Before you say it's too much money, there are LCDs and dead machines with good lid/displays out there for not a lot of dough, like less than a hundred bucks.

I do have some questions though:

If you have changed out a display, did you do it by swappping out the LCD, or the whole lid? Did it suck? Was it difficult?

It looks like the 1200 and 1300 were available with either a 12.1" panel or a 13.3" panel. Seems to me, that if I can find a dead machine with a 13.3" display, I can probably swap out the lid pretty easily.

Are there other T-pads with compatable lids out there? If, say, the 600 series lids were compatable, I'd have a zillion more options.

TIA for your expertise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:14 pm 
Moderator1
Moderator1

You can replace your display using one left over from an i1200 or i1300, but you have to take into thought many things. On, you will void your warranty, risk breaking your machine, spend a few bucks, and a few hours. On any replacement of the screen, I recomend replacing the panel as a whole instead of taking the panel apart to get the LCD out, as that is hazardous and putting your computer in even more risk. Also, if you want to upgrade our screen from the 12.1" SVGA screen to the 13" XGA screen, you'll need to do a BIOS update before replacing the screen with a BIOS that supports the bigger screen. BIOS updates can be found on IBM's website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:31 pm 

marylou I've got a whole machine I'd let go for $150 plus shipping
it's an I 1300 750mhz/wi-fi

you would just need to move your ram, your hard drive and your battery from one to the other and you're done!

pm me if you're interested!