Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Seagate or WD Scorpio Black

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
ac12
Sophomore Member

#1 Post by ac12 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:31 pm

I just purchased a T61 and plan to upgrade the drive to a 500GB drive in install Win7.
I have not been able to find any comments about the WD Scorpio Black vs Seagate Momentus drives.
Can anyone give me any feedback on these drives.

thanks

RRHODY

Re: Seagate or WD Scorpio Black

#2 Post by RRHODY » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:10 pm

No feedback on those specific drives, but I can comment on Western Digital. In the past several years I've had a WD drive go bad. My dealings with tech support were excellent. They have two ways to get a RMA replacement - one, they send you a replacement immediately, but your credit card is charged if you don't send in the defective drive OR two, you send in the defective and then they send the replacement. In one case, the defective drive was a 500gb desktop drive and when the replacement came it was a 1TB. No hassle and all arrangements can be done via their web site. They honor their warranty for three years from the date of manufacture give on the disk.

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by ThinkRob » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:59 pm

At least in desktop drives, there is no statistically-significant difference in failure rates between the major manufacturers (Google did a large-scale analysis of their failure rates a couple years back and found that while batch-to-batch there were differences, across the manufacturers there were no real differences in overall reliability.) I imagine the same is true for laptops.

Look at power usage and noise stats, consider price, and take it from there.
Last edited by ThinkRob on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

Colonel O'Neill
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Colonel O'Neill » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:06 am

Yeah I RMA'd my 320GB WD Scorpio Black for *cough**cough**cough* certain reasons. I got a 500GB WD Scorpio Black in return. :mrgreen:

I personally don't trust Seagates any farther than I can throw the thing. Literally. A friend's T510 which had a stock Seagate now has quite a few bad sectors with no apparent cause.

And I believe WD's warranty is now 5 years.
W530, W520, X61T, X200s, W550s, E590, T430

visionviper
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#5 Post by visionviper » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:30 pm

ac12 wrote:I just purchased a T61 and plan to upgrade the drive to a 500GB drive in install Win7.
I have not been able to find any comments about the WD Scorpio Black vs Seagate Momentus drives.
Can anyone give me any feedback on these drives.

thanks
I bounce between hard drive manufacturers. I've had Western Digital, Seagate, and Samsung. I've only ever had 1 hard drive go bad on me (an old IDE Seagate that was out of use). I usually just start picking based on warranty length. Sometimes I will pick with performance as the deciding factor, it just depends on it's intended use.

I just bought a WD Scorpio Black to put into my Xbox 360 because it has a 5 year warranty.
7mm SSD list
Guide to fixing T4x GPU problems via reflow

Current: T420s
Former: X301, X61t, T40

dsvochak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by dsvochak » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:59 pm

ThinkRob wrote:Look at power usage and noise stats, consider price, and take it from there.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to be an anarchist but I quit because there were too many rules

ac12
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by ac12 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks guys
I picked up the Seagate, it has a lower power usage, so should be be easier on the batteries, and hopefully less hot. My old T23 got hot enough that the palmrest above the drive was uncomfortable when used all day.