Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Problem with wireless drivers installation

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
parangles
Freshman Member

Problem with wireless drivers installation

#1 Post by parangles » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:27 pm

This is on a T40 with WinXP Pro that was frequently dropping connections
of a very strong signal. I ran the new Ver 14 self installing driver install wizard
( Thanks ajkula66 ) but afterwards ver 9 is still showing in device mgr while the
new ver14 is only in 'Add or Remove Hardware' section of control panel.
The read me file confirms that I have the correct drivers.

I then un installed/deleted the old driver, rebooted and ran the downloaded driver
install wizard again with the same result but now the wireless card is not 'seeing'
any access\point available networks at all . There are usually about 5 accessable.
' No networks available' - after the scan

Device mgr has no yellow exclamation and shows the card as ' device is working properly'
Booted with Linux and it recognises the card - Intel 802.11 bg/2200 BG card.
I cannot install the drivers manually as they apparently are unaccessable separately in
the installation package and the windows programs to install new drivers
cannot 'see'/access them inside the install program.

Any ideas appreciated !

TTY

Re: Problem with wireless drivers installation

#2 Post by TTY » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:46 pm

Wireless driver ver. 14.02.0000 doesn't support the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection. The driver matrix says to use v.12.04.0000 for Win XP.
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc ... wc05ww.zip

Lately, i've noticed that installing a new Lenovo driver over an older one does not always update the driver installation. In those cases one has to uninstall the old driver, reboot, and then install the new driver.

If extracting the zip file produces a readme file, check it for additional requirements concerning other utilities, such as minimum versions of Access Connections or Hotkey Features.

parangles
Freshman Member

#3 Post by parangles » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:41 am

I'm not getting anywhere with this. I installed Hotkey drivers, TP power management driver and .NET Framework
( suggested elsewhere) , deleted the wireless driver ver 9.0.4.39 in device mgr.,
rebooted and installed wireless driver ver 12.04.0000, rebooted.
Version 9 .. is showing in device mgr and ver 12... is showing in Add or Remove Programs.
In C:DRIVERs/WIN/WLANINT there is an 'auto run' icon for Intel 12.1.0.0 which I ran and rebooted.
Same story- ver 9 in device mgr and ver12 in the control panel program list.

Also, when I remove the ver 9 and reboot, it reinstalls the ver 9 during the reboot and before I try to install the new ver 12.
My only idea now would be to find the actual folder where the ver 9 is
and delete it there. In C:DRIVERs/WIN/WLANINT I see NETw2r32.dll and NETw2c32.dll both with a tag ' 9.0.4.95 coinstaller and NCPA32 bit dll'
Do you think it would be safe to delete these? I am out of my depth, and have run out of ideas. Thanks !

TTY

#4 Post by TTY » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:56 pm

In my last post, i suggested checking whether extracting the 6hwc05ww.zip file would produce a readme file. It doesn't produce a file called readme, but it produces a file called 6hwc05ww.txt. That file contains all instructions for installation. Unfortunately, editor won't render it legibly, but you can read it with e.g. Microsoft Word Viewer, a free program. You can get Word Viewer at:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=4

Other word processors should also be able to display that file in a readable way.

It's OK if you have ver. 9.0.4.39 in device manager and ver. 12.04.0000 in control panel. 9.0.4.39 is the driver version, and 12.04.0000 is the package number.

Please also check the 6hwc05ww.txt file for instructions on what other prerequisites you need before installing the wireless driver. A quick glance at that file told me that you will need to have e.g.

- MSXML6.0 Parser or higher
- Windows Installer 3.14 or higher

installed before you install the wireless driver. These components are available from Microsoft's website. There might also be further prerequisites.

Good luck
Last edited by TTY on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Try another wifi card.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

parangles
Freshman Member

#6 Post by parangles » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:07 am

TTY
" It's OK if you have ver. 9.0.4.39 in device manager and ver. 12.04.0000 in control panel,
9.0.4.39 is the driver version, and 12.04.0000 is the package number. "

Well maybe thats the problem- I assumed that it wasn't properly installed but maybe it is.
I will watch it and see if it stops dropping connections. I had followed the instructions -only the MSXML6.0 Parser wasn't installed -I got an error message on the MS site 'unavailable' or similar.
Thanks for your patience. I'll come back in a few days and report.

RealBlackStuff.
Sincere thanks- I made that same suggestion to someone here with
a wireless problem a few days ago. Hopefully I'm OK now.

TTY

#7 Post by TTY » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:06 am

A search for the MSXML 6.0 Parser on the Microsoft website brought me to a Microsoft support forum, where a MS employee wrote, that if you have Windows XP with SP3, the MSXML 6.0 Parser should already be installed on your system. I also found a Microsoft web page that said, that .NET Framework 3.0 also contains the MSXML 6.0 Parser.

Should you not have any of the above, here's a link to download it separately:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... en&id=3988

I suppose that the msxml6.msi would be the file to use with 32-bit Windows XP.

parangles
Freshman Member

#8 Post by parangles » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:02 pm

TTY this thing goes from ' no networks found' when it scans, to working
perfectly at other times. I just bought another T42 ( I always keep a duplicate
cloned computer) and it has Atheros so I think I'll change to that.
I think the 2200BG card is bad because all the required software is installed and
the new drivers are definately properly installed. Correct driver date is in device mgr.
Really appreciate your help !