thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:25 am 

Hello guys :) stumbled across this forum a few minutes ago and since im having some issues with my laptop i thought someone could point me in the right direction. I purchased a T40 off eBay the computer came without a HDD so i purchased a Fujitsu 160gb separately. The problem im going through is that the computer is stuck, its just not doing anything when i turn it on it stays on the booting screen that shows the Thinkpad,Intel & Lenovo logos it says "To Interrupt normal startup, press the blue ThinkVantage button."

However when i try to press any button at all, whether it is F1, DEL, ENTER, the blue button it does nothing. I triedalso sticking a linux live CD and seeing if it would boot it, it reads it and im able to hear it spinning and reading it but the screen is just stuck there on the same boot screen. Any help would be appreciate it. Thanks!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:10 am 
RBS10000
RBS10000

Welcome to the forum.
Just putting in a hard disk, does not do very much.
You would also need to install an operating system.
To correctly mount the hard disk, it needs to be in a caddy with 4 screws:
( like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Drive-Cadd ... 1001050890 )
It also needs to go in upside down (label to the table).
After you do this correctly, switch on and hit F1 immediately to go into BIOS.
Select Startup and then Boot.
If your HD is OK, you should see it in there after IDE HDD0.

Check out The Board Room for:
- LED-mods for the 15" T60/R60/R61
- SATA-mods for any T43/R52 with ATI GPU
- other Services

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:45 pm 

I have done everything correctly and i am 100% the issue isn't with the HDD as i tested it out on my other computer and it worked fine. I have recorded a quick video of the problem: http://youtu.be/TNfTiJRJfkk

Thanks in advance for the help!

UPDATE: After having to switch over the HDD i bought to another laptop formatting it and then putting it back on the T40 im still having the same problem. My HDD isn't booting im stuck on the booting screen and can't access the BIOS options... Its beginning to get a bit frustrating.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:41 pm 
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

The motherboards in this series of ThinkPads have weak solder joints especially on the GPU and Southbridge chips, the breakdown of which often manifests in various ways, one of which is to hang at the ThinkPad splash screen.

This may, or may not, be the case with yours, but it's looking that way to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:50 pm 

Neil wrote:
The motherboards in this series of ThinkPads have weak solder joints especially on the GPU and Southbridge chips, the breakdown of which often manifests in various ways, one of which is to hang at the ThinkPad splash screen.

This may, or may not, be the case with yours, but it's looking that way to me.

So would you recommend replacing the motherboard? If so i will mine-aswell do that immediately. Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:56 pm 
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Yeah, a replacement is probably in order. If you want to experiment a little, you could try booting while applying a little pressure to the GPU (under the keyboard) and/or the Southbridge chip (under the palm rest and wifi adapter). Try each, one at a time. If it boots with pressure applied...then you will literally have your finger on the culprit.