Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Checking interest on nearly dead T42s

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
Mofo Jones
Freshman Member

Checking interest on nearly dead T42s

#1 Post by Mofo Jones » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:01 am

Hi

I have two 14" T42s (both 2373 models) and both are victims of the dreaded ATI GPU failure. I've replaced them with an X230T and am wondering if these are worth anything for parts machines, or if I should find the nearest e-waste facility and let them go to the TP graveyard in the sky.

The first machine was purchased (from Bill) in Oct 2004. 1.7 Pentium M, 1400x1050 screen (has horrible keyboard marks on it, Bluetooth, 9 cell battery (no clue on the number of cycles, IBM wireless card, 512 MB RAM, but I'm keeping the HD because it still has my info on it. (gotta pick up an external enclosure) DVD Rom/CD-RW drive. I'm tempted to keep that in case I get a dock or ultrabase for my X230T.

Second machine was purchased off of Craigslist in an effort to cobble together a working T42. 1.6 Pentium M, 1024 X 768 (in decent shape) 512 Ram, 60 gb HD running a piratey flavor of Vista - only the OS is present - put on there by the craigslist seller.

So, before I make a marketplace thread, can anybody use this stuff? I can get you a pic or two in the next day if that helps. I have no clue how much to ask for these, but I'm considering super cheap or "free to you, just pay postage" type of Any ideas or advice?

Thanks in advance.
X230i Tablet (3437) i3 2.4 / 4GB / 12.5 / 320 GB / Win 7 64 / HD 3000
T42 (2373-3UU) / 1.7/ 1536 / 14.1 / 40GB / XP Pro / 64 MB Radeon 9600

DaKKS

Re: Checking interest on nearly dead T42s

#2 Post by DaKKS » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Well anyone will a good board could use it. Or if the plastics is in good nick. Part them out on the marketplace. People arent looking for bad units, but specific working parts.

As i'm looking for a good shell, i might be interested in one of them. Dependig on the nick and shipping cost of course.

systemBuilder
Sophomore Member

Re: Checking interest on nearly dead T42s

#3 Post by systemBuilder » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:57 pm

I would like to fix the SXGA+ T42, I collect these machines to give my sons a chance to learn a skill by paying them small amounts to do minor repairs. But, I would need some coaching to get the logic board reballed, and since my threshold for a completed T42 is about $70, I understand that most of this would go towards the reballing, so unfortunately I could probably only afford to pay for shipping, and not much more. I have asked for a reballing quote. I found a T42 logic board on ebay for $25 (I think). So maybe I can afford $45 (shipped) for both of them. I have a stockpile of basic parts for T42's at my house, and have done just about every repair (except motherboard transplant) on these machines. Contact me if interested, gillies@ece.ubc.ca.
=======================
Lots of thinkpads (10+) but I would never be so stupid as to list them all because that would spam everybody's searches and people who *do* try to list them all would be jerks.