thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:54 pm 

Hello,
Got a T41, all latest update, I think, and when I stop watching a video there is a "rubbing" noise coming from the left speaker.
A while ago I thought it was the HDD going south with the rubbing noise, but one day I found out it was actually the speakers, the left one, and if I press the mute button, it stop.
Also playing video/ music, the rattling/ rubbing noise stop...
This is odd.
Anything I could do about this?
Thank you.
Olivier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:22 pm 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Weird one that!

I'd remove the palmrest and check the left hand speaker hasn't got a screw / piece of metal debris "stuck" to the cone through magnetic attraction of the speaker.

To remove the palmrest you need to remove the keyboard first. For a How to on this download the How To Doc list from my sig and from that download the T4x Screws doc.

Also get a mini headphone jack and plug it in and out the blue (green?) left hand jack hole a few times; sometimes dirt falls into the internal contacts and can do funny things.

Also while you're at it if you have headphones check what the LH headphone channel's doing.

If it's OK and there's no metal debris on the cone, it may be is a distorted LH speaker cone and you may need to change the speaker assembly.
If you want to try a replacement speaker assembly give me a PM with your name and address details and I'll pop one in the post (I've got enough to go twice round the world....!!) - no charge.

If all that fails, download and burn a live Mint CD, load a live (non installation) Linux Mint desktop and then test the sound through that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:20 am 

Hi Nick,
Sorry for the late reply... Just logged in now.
I am going to do all you said now. I 'll report later today :)
I am in Edinburgh, not too far away from you :)
Thank you very much for the offer. :thumbs-UP:
I let you know what the verdict is
All the best.
Olivier