Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

SOLVED. Thinkpad T41 Freezing and only USB1 working

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
Olivier

SOLVED. Thinkpad T41 Freezing and only USB1 working

#1 Post by Olivier » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 am

Hi All,
After many searches, many hours spend on the net as I needed to find out what was wrong with my T41 Thinkpad IBM with the USB only working as USB1 speed ( oh the pain) I was not getting anywhere beside someone telling me that my poor laptop was dying :(
Then after a month, the T41 Freezes!!! I had to shut it hard, on and off, but after awhile it was not practical as it was freezing every 10 Mn... Oh the joy...
Then I heard that the problem about thre freezing was the ATI card and that the USB1 was the Southbridge and that both needed to be re-balled...
This was nicely explained by Nick from Reflow repairs. He also explained that one goes first usually, the SB then the Gpu... The reason why the laptop started to freeze after the USB started to be USB1 only. I was finally getting somewhere :)
There was 2 DIY, one cooking the motherboard in the oven and the other was to heat the MB with a heat gun, bot were to melt the soldering and do a DIY reballing. I did both, and few times...
All was good, perfectly working, but only for a day or two, then the USB was back again USB1 :(
The joy...
At that Time Nick Paton, the Technical Director from Reflow Repairs made me a really nice offer about doing the re-balling professionally and therefore, properly.
I send out the machine to Nick who did a repair very quickly as I got the machine back few days later, and all is great :) The ATI Gpu is perfect and the USB is back to USB2 , Hurrah!!!!
Thank you to Nick and Reflow repairs for the great job done to me machine .
Then, if anyone has a reball bugger, or simply a computer problem, remember Nick at Reflow Repairs, he's the man :) Here is the webpage:
http://www.reflowrepairs.co.uk/
All the Best.
Olivier

poshgeordie
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: SOLVED. Thinkpad T41 Freezing and only USB1 working

#2 Post by poshgeordie » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:25 am

Hi Olivier

Many thanks for your kind words which are very encouraging and makes our work worthwhile.

Keep in touch and looking forward to meeting you here on the forums!

PS @Mods - could you move this topic to T4x Series Forums - thanks!