Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

New SSD opt. for T4x : mSATA-to-IDE adapter ST663FD9 *PICS*

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
Xenomorph
Sophomore Member

Re: New SSD opt. for T4x : mSATA-to-IDE adapter ST663FD9 *PICS*

#31 Post by Xenomorph » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:13 pm

I got the "ST663FD9" from the OP off eBay (~$15).

I'm having an issue where it just disappears to the system. During heavy IO, it's like it's simply unplugged from the computer. Note that this is not a T43-issue, as the unit does this when connected to a regular IDE/PATA Desktop computer that I have. I have to power down completely to make it re-appear to the system. That, and the fact the OP shows that the device seems to be manufactured "upside down" (and requires installation at a weird angle where 2 screws cannot be used) makes it seem like this may just be a bad device.

I went ahead and ordered the Lycom (~$25).

I will be using this on a T43. Yes, the idea of SATA to PATA connected to a PATA to SATA probably isn't the best, but it should still work. I think. In the few minutes I used it with my T43 (before it disappeared to it, too), performance seemed to of course be a lot better than a standard HDD.
ThinkPad 560X
ThinkPad T23
ThinkPad T43
ThinkPad SL410

GACrabill

#32 Post by GACrabill » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Xenomorph wrote:... In the few minutes I used it with my T43 (before it disappeared to it, too) ...
Does this statement refer to the Lycom adapter ?

What OS and SSD are you using ?

automobus

Re: What about this item?

#33 Post by automobus » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:28 pm

gehageh wrote:Hi, I am also interested in this solution for my T43.
Hi, I am uninterested in using JMicron JM20330 for anything.

I assume you are in Greece. In your position, I would order a Lycom ST-173 from Scan Computers. If it is too much effort to order directly, then you can buy from their eBay sales channel.
Scan.co.uk wrote:http://www.scan.co.uk/info/faq
Q. Do you ship Internationally ?
A. We ship to most countries in the EU at competitive rates.
edit: Norway Pad, thank you for describing the difficulty in trying to make a purchase. I was indeed referring to scancomputers_int.
Last edited by automobus on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Norway Pad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#34 Post by Norway Pad » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:00 am

automobus wrote:I assume you are in Greece. In your position, I would order a Lycom ST-173 from Scan Computers. If it is too much effort to order directly, then you can buy from their eBay sales channel.
Scan.co.uk wrote:http://www.scan.co.uk/info/faq
Q. Do you ship Internationally ?
A. We ship to most countries in the EU at competitive rates.
I live in Norway, but their eBay channel only lists shipping to the UK, and it is blocked from asking questions. (The seller I found is "scancomputers_int", I assume it's the correct one) And on their website it's impossible to sign up unless you have an address in UK or Ireland. So it seems hard to do any business with them unless you live in the UK or Ireland.

So has anyone at all outside UK/Ireland succeeded in buying one of these adapters? Their live chat is closed now, but I will try that later today.

If it ever comes to pass that I can buy these, I would be happy to buy a couple of them and ship to forum users in the US if needed.
Bjorn
THINKPAD collector. Only missing a proper RetroThinkpad.

gehageh

Re: New SSD opt. for T4x : mSATA-to-IDE adapter ST663FD9 *P

#35 Post by gehageh » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:12 am

thank you everybody for their replies and suggestions. I have read that the best solution for T43 is the SATA mod but the service by a forum member is too expensive since I live in Greece. Actually when I was young I could do that job but now at the 60's it is not easy. So to overcome this T43 point the best solution seems to me the use of a Kingspech SSD drive which is PATA and can be used directly. I have put such a SSD in my X41 and it operates fine. What is your opinions about it?
George

Temetka
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#36 Post by Temetka » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:25 am

If you want to use an IDE SSD, it will run faster than your mechanical HD to be sure. I also think it's a good easy solution to moving to an SSD on a machine such as the T43 if you are unable to do the SATA mod. Just make sure the drive you are looking at is compatible with your machine. If you are like me, then you are looking for a drop it in and move on upgrade instead of a tear the machine apart upgrade. If that's the case, then yes, get the IDE SSD and enjoy your new found speed.
New:
Thinkpad T470 16GB RAM 250GB SSD LinuxMint
Old:
ThinkPad Tablet 16GB 1838-22U
IBM Thinkpad X61T, T61, T43, X41T, T60, T41P, T42, T410, X301, T430s, T450, T460

gehageh

#37 Post by gehageh » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:07 am

Hi Temetka,
this is exactly the case. Can you suggest another brand of IDE SSD?

Xenomorph
Sophomore Member

#38 Post by Xenomorph » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:40 am

GACrabill wrote:
Xenomorph wrote:... In the few minutes I used it with my T43 (before it disappeared to it, too) ...
Does this statement refer to the Lycom adapter ?

What OS and SSD are you using ?
No, it was the ST663FD9 that I got off eBay that doesn't seem to work. I just ordered the Lycom adapter to try (but it is not here, yet).

Desktop computer is running Windows 7 Pro, SP1, x64.

My T43 is running Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 12.04.3.

The SSD is the Mushkin Atlas Deluxe, latest downloadable firmware (5.0.7):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089W4R50/ref ... 25410_item
ThinkPad 560X
ThinkPad T23
ThinkPad T43
ThinkPad SL410

GACrabill

#39 Post by GACrabill » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Xenomorph wrote:No, it was the ST663FD9 that I got off eBay that doesn't seem to work. I just ordered the Lycom adapter to try (but it is not here, yet).

Desktop computer is running Windows 7 Pro, SP1, x64.

My T43 is running Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 12.04.3.

The SSD is the Mushkin Atlas Deluxe, latest downloadable firmware (5.0.7):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089W4R50/ref ... 25410_item
Thanks for the update ... please keep us informed when you test the Lycom adapter since I will want to change the original post if the Lycom works when the ST663FD9 does not.

The problems that you described in your earlier post sound exactly like the problems that a number of us had when trying to get 1.8" microSATA SSDs from Intel to work last year. Some of us were successful in getting some 1.8" Crucial, Kingston, and Toshiba SSDs to work at that time with the older IDE-to-microSATA adapter ... but 1.8" Intel SSDs always failed when stress-tested (Gen.1, Gen.2, Gen.3).

If your Mushkin works with the Lycom adapter but does not work with the ST663FD9 adapter, then we will know that some brands of mSATA SSDs have problems with the ST663FD9 .... which will then lead to the conclusion that the only IDE-to-mSATA adapter to buy will be the Lycom.

The Mushkin that didn't work in your ST663FD9 uses a SandForce controller ... the Plextor that I tested successfully used a Marvell controller ... and one previous poster successfully used a Crucial M4 mSATA SSD with the ST663FD9.

Obviously, we would like to find an adapter that works in any IDE laptop with any mSATA SSD.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions to this effort.
Last edited by GACrabill on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

automobus

#40 Post by automobus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:26 pm

I am sorry, I failed to point out sooner, that JMH330 was already demonstrated to be less than perfect. Three seasons ago, I found a user report incompatibility with a JMicron JMH330 and SandForce SF-1222 flashdisc: JDW at 68kMLA tried it in PowerBook G3 Series "Wallstreet".

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 03#p706503
http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 98#p170398

If any of you happen to have these things: SF-1222, 88SA8052, and PB Wallstreet; please try the unique combination.

edit: 2014-02-06 This post contains misinformation. I no longer believe there to be anything wrong with JMicron's SATA/PATA translation bridges. What is a problem, is stringing multiple translation bridges together, when lacking enough information to ensure interface emulation.
Last edited by automobus on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GACrabill

#41 Post by GACrabill » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:38 pm

automobus wrote:I am sorry, I failed to point out sooner, that JMH330 was already demonstrated to be less than perfect. Three seasons ago, I found a user report incompatibility with a JMicron JMH330 and SandForce SF-1222 flashdisc: JDW at 68kMLA tried it in PowerBook G3 Series "Wallstreet".
@automobus :
I came to a different conclusion then you did after perusing your links. The detailed experiences of JDW simply showed me that an old Apple PowerBook G3 Series "Wallstreet" is a weird animal that doesn't work properly with an OWC Legacy IDE/PATA SSD. Those same OWC Legacy IDE SSDs have been very highly regarded by Apple users as "the" SSD solution for their older Apple laptops (IDE) .... but evidently PowerBook G3 Series "Wallstreet" owners are not able to find a working SSD solution for that particular laptop.

Actually, I am a little impressed that the highly regarded OWC Legacy IDE SSDs used the JMH330 chip for the IDE-to-Sata internal conversion and they built a very solid reputation for their SSDs with that chip and a SandForce controller.

That said, it is still troublesome that the JMH330 may have trouble with some brands/models of newer SSDs and their controllers.

I wait patiently for more updates from "Xenomorph" since he will have experience with both adapters, a newer SandForce based mSATA SSD, .... and a T43.

GACrabill

#42 Post by GACrabill » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:49 am

gehageh wrote:So to overcome this T43 point the best solution seems to me the use of a Kingspech SSD drive which is PATA and can be used directly. I have put such a SSD in my X41 and it operates fine. What is your opinions about it?
You should probably read this thread :
"Help: T43 doesn't recognize Kingspec PATA 64GB SSD"
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97701

Quotes from the above thread :
gg4418 wrote: "2. Don't buy Kingspec"
Tasurinchi wrote: "This I agree, but I also have to point out that a little search in this forum would have been useful. Feedback on those drives are "mixed", to put it positively"

If you are not going to do a SATA-mod for a T43 (or R52), I would suggest doing some serious searching of these forums to find a successful T43 IDE SSD solution before buying one of those old PATA SSD solutions.

Actually, I would wait to see what forum members 'Xenomorph' and 'Nameless' report when they receive and test the Lycom adapter with their T43s.

If their tests are successful, you may also want to do what 'Nameless' did .... ask Lycom where you can buy the Lycom adapter (see post http://www.thinkpads.com/forum/viewtopi ... 28#p722328).
Since no one understands the true relationship of Lycom and Addonics in the USA ... and Addonics shows international Resellers/Distributers (http://www.addonics.com/sales/listing.php) ... you might get an answer from Lycom that makes it easier for you to find that adapter.

Xenomorph
Sophomore Member

#43 Post by Xenomorph » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:20 am

Trip report:

The Lycom adapter showed up.

The eBay one was light, aluminum, and of course assembled upside-down (see OP on the trick to get it install correctly).
The Lycom one is heavy, steel, and assembled with the pins in the correct location.

So, I had high hopes for the Lycom one working. Apparently, it appears my Mushkin Atlas / SandForce SSD may be the issue. Even with the "better" Lycom adapter installed, I still get the "randomly unplugged" problem.

Since I have no other mSATA system, and no use for this mSATA SSD outside of the adapters for an IDE/PATA system, I can try to send it back to Amazon.

The next question:

Someone with this goofy setup *working* on the T43: which SSD did you use?

If SandForce simply won't work here, I guess I'll have to try another SSD.

Edit: I don't know what triggers the SSD disappearing from the system. Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP seem to work with it, but Windows 7 and Windows 8 will lock and the drive disappears until I power cycle the computer.
Reviews on Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820226362) have people saying the same thing happens with them.

I submitted an RMA request with Amazon to return it for a refund. :/
ThinkPad 560X
ThinkPad T23
ThinkPad T43
ThinkPad SL410

Xenomorph
Sophomore Member

#44 Post by Xenomorph » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Even though I couldn't get things to work with Windows 8.1 (what I normally use on the system), I did run a benchmark with Windows XP.

Before:
Windows 8.1, 120 GB Toshiba HDD (5400 RPM):

After:
Windows XP, 120 GB Mushkin Atlas Deluxe SSD (SandForce 2281):

Even with the weird SATA to PATA to PATA to SATA setup in the T43, it was still a huge boost in performance. When it worked.
ThinkPad 560X
ThinkPad T23
ThinkPad T43
ThinkPad SL410

GACrabill

#45 Post by GACrabill » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:15 pm

Xenomorph wrote: ... I don't know what triggers the SSD disappearing from the system. Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP seem to work with it, but Windows 7 and Windows 8 will lock and the drive disappears until I power cycle the computer.
Reviews on Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820226362) have people saying the same thing happens with them.
Was your Win7 test in the desktop (and therefore the problem must be the SSD and not the T43) ?

There have been posts in various forums on the internet that suggest (usually erroneously) that one *must* disable Trim in order for some SSDs to work without problems. That may solve the Win7 / Win8 lock-up issues ... but it obviously isn't the preferred solution for those SSDs which seem to be prone to that issue.

I don't remember seeing anyone post a positive SSD experience with a T43/R52 with an adapter / SSD combo solution ... since they are not 'normal' IDE laptops.

Xenomorph
Sophomore Member

#46 Post by Xenomorph » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:49 pm

GACrabill wrote:Was your Win7 test in the desktop (and therefore the problem must be the SSD and not the T43) ?

There have been posts in various forums on the internet that suggest (usually erroneously) that one *must* disable Trim in order for some SSDs to work without problems. That may solve the Win7 / Win8 lock-up issues ... but it obviously isn't the preferred solution for those SSDs which seem to be prone to that issue.

I don't remember seeing anyone post a positive SSD experience with a T43/R52 with an adapter / SSD combo solution ... since they are not 'normal' IDE laptops.
I used it in two systems:

Desktop:
Windows 7: SSD randomly disappeared

T43:
Windows 7: SSD randomly disappeared
Windows 8.1: SSD randomly disappeared
Windows XP: *SSD seemed to work fine*

With XP loaded, the SSD seemed to work fine for hours. No apparent issues. I was able to do a clean install of XP, install drivers, install some software (Firefox and CrystalDiskMark, etc), and do some tests. I don't want to be stuck with XP, though.

Since the "SSD randomly disappeared" issue happened with two SATA to PATA adapters, and did the same thing on both the Desktop computer and T43, I'm thinking more that the SSD setup is an issue than the T43's weird setup.
ThinkPad 560X
ThinkPad T23
ThinkPad T43
ThinkPad SL410

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#47 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:41 pm

GACrabill wrote:
I'm not all that certain that one can enable TRIM on T43/R52 to begin with. If there is a way of doing so, I'd love to know about it.
There likely is a setup that will work. It's just a question of finding it and verifying how well it performs...

Nothing, but NOTHING beats a SATA-mod on these machines, IMO. Adapter + SSD combo is a lifesaver for older units, though.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Nameless
Freshman Member

#48 Post by Nameless » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:27 pm

Hey everyone, sorry I've been away for the holidays but just got back.

So I got the adapters back before the holidays, but I was waiting for 2 things:

1. Get my T43 back from a display backlight repair by forum member Jamiphar - just got it back yesterday, and couldn't be happier. He also gave the machine a good cleaning by all appearances. Big shout out to you James and Luke!

2. Get my SSDs - Just arrived 2 days ago. I'm going to be trying an Intel 530 series with this adapter, and install a Win 7 Ultimate x86 image with all the patches pre-integrated (courtesy of Wintoolkit, a very useful tool for tweaking Win 7 install images).

I plan to make an attempt at the conversion this evening. The HDD in the T43 is starting to show signs of giving out (occasional chkdsk complaints, plus slow bootup and slow anything-that-loads-stuff-from-the-HDD) so this upgrade is *extremely* timely.

Will take pix if anyone's particularly interested.

Nameless
Freshman Member

#49 Post by Nameless » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:59 pm

Well, bad news from my side. Tried to install Win 7 Ultimate x86 SP1 with integrated MS updates and failed. The ISO itself is good and has been tested in Virtualbox. My results from the attempted install:

1. The adapter installs perfectly into the drive bay, I mean it's like it was made to fit in there. So far so good.
2. Drive is identified correctly in BIOS. Encouraging...
3. However, upon trying to install, when setup tries to partition/format the drive, it hangs and after a few minutes, reports an error. Also the drive disappears from the system. Warm reboot does not bring the drive back, a cold boot (power cycle) is required to see it again. Tried twice, same result.

The system has the unofficial no-2010 BIOS flashed, which worked great with the old PATA HDD.

System is a T43, 14.1", ATI gfx, 2gb ram.

Anyone know if maybe I need to tweak bios settings or something? any advice would be appreciated as I would really like to make this work.

GACrabill

#50 Post by GACrabill » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:37 am

Nameless wrote:Well, bad news from my side. Tried to install Win 7 Ultimate x86 SP1 with integrated MS updates and failed. ... System is a T43, 14.1", ATI gfx, 2gb ram.
Have you tried the "T43 / Lycom adapter / Intel 530 SSD" combo with XP ?

'Xenomorph' reported that the "SSD seemed to work fine" with XP in his T43 using the Lycom adapter.

After bad experiences in 2012 with 1.8" microSATA Intel SSDs, and internet reports that their "Toolbox" can not update firmware over PATA connections, I have been worried that Intel's firmware is "different" from the other manufacturers and that may result in Intel SSDs never working reliably thru an IDE adapter.

If Xenomorph's Mushkin SSD worked with a T43 and XP ... and *if* your Intel SSD does not work with your T43 and XP, then you may have learned that Intel won't work for you.

Xenomorph
Sophomore Member

#51 Post by Xenomorph » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:26 pm

So is the issue with SandForce (Mushkin Atlas and Intel 530), or just the multiple adapters on the T43?
ThinkPad 560X
ThinkPad T23
ThinkPad T43
ThinkPad SL410

Nameless
Freshman Member

#52 Post by Nameless » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:31 pm

OK well tried again today, still failed, only this time I got error code 80300025. So with some google-fu, discovered that *Trim* may have something to do with it.

So before I try XP, HERE IS A QUESTION FOR ANYONE WHO GOT ANY SSD TO WORK WITH ANY ADAPTER:

***Did the drive that works have Trim, or not?***

'Cuz I'm almost positive that the Intel 530 *HAS* Trim.

It seems that PATA/SATA bridge chips don't play nice with Trim, at least according to a thread on Intel's SSD forum. It suggested fresh installing XP/Vista and then installing 7 over it, with some registry edits during the install process to disable Trim.

HOWEVER... using WinToolkit I made the registry edits to my win7 install image, and going to try it out shortly. Will post results.

automobus

#53 Post by automobus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Nameless wrote:Warm reboot does not bring the drive back, a cold boot (power cycle) is required to see it again. … Anyone know if maybe I need to tweak bios settings or something?
Are you using the latest firmware? Several people experience Intel 530 disappear during restart. I doubt a firmware update will help, but it is worth trying. Perhaps we can use SandForce as a scapegoat? Intel 530 contains SF-2281, as does Xenomorph's Mushkin Atlas Deluxe.

edit: I dare somebody to try SanDisk SDSA3DD. It contains Marvell 88SA8052 and SanDisk 20-82-00192-3 (seems to be a PATA controller, suitable for CompactFlash). That will make a chain of:

82801FBM + [88SA8040 OR SiI3811] + [88SA8052 OR JMH330] + 88SA8052 + 20-82-00192-3.

edit: I withdraw my dare!
Last edited by automobus on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Xenomorph
Sophomore Member

#54 Post by Xenomorph » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:39 pm

I was going to do an RMA and send the Mushkin Atlas (SandForce) back to Amazon, then pick up a Crucial M500 (Marvell) to test. Someone convinced me that it the Mushkin I used may have just been bad, so I told Amazon to instead exchange with another one instead of getting a refund. I'll be testing that one, soon.

EDIT

Apparently Samsung has decided to make the 840 EVO in mSATA format!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7594/sams ... 1tb-review
ThinkPad 560X
ThinkPad T23
ThinkPad T43
ThinkPad SL410

Nameless
Freshman Member

#55 Post by Nameless » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:31 pm

OK well it didn't work, but more googling suggests another alternative:

a) fresh install win7 to a regular HDD
b) disable trim from inside win7 using "fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1"
c) ghost the install from the HDD to the SSD

I'll probably try that tomorrow, hanging it up for tonight.

EDIT: @automobus yes Intel uses Sandforce, but IIRC they have custom firmware for it. Whether that's good or bad I don't know, I always thought it was a good thing.

Nameless
Freshman Member

#56 Post by Nameless » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:06 pm

Another quick update, sorry for the slow updates but IRL interferes.

(1) Turns out my only disk imaging software does not support 7. Oh well.

HOWEVER

(2) it turns out my win 7 install media tweak was incomplete. I needed to tweak boot.wim and install.wim to completely disable trim during the install process, and I only tweaked install.wim.

This article is what I'm basing my suspicion of TRIM and pata-sata bridge incompatibility on.

So as soon as I find time, I'll try my install media tweak again, doing it the right way this time.

I WANT TO MAKE THIS WORK! A plug-n-play solution for T43/p owners would be so nice.

(yes I know about the sata mod, etc etc but I'm just averse to hardware hacking a working system at the risk of breaking/destroying it).

Xenomorph
Sophomore Member

#57 Post by Xenomorph » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:15 pm

I got a second Mushkin Atlas from Amazon. Same issue as the first - the drive disappears completely to the computer if used with Windows 7 or 8. I already sent it back and ordered the Crucial M500.

If Windows 8 fails to install to the Crucial M500, I will try the suggested fix:

* Install Windows to HDD.
* Disable TRIM (DisableDeleteNotification).
* Clone the partition to the SDD.

If that does work, I will be both happy and sad. Happy that it means I get the SSD working, but sad that I sent back the SandForce drive (which has great active garbage-collection built-in, and doesn't need the OS to do TRIM in the first place). I'll try to return the Crucial then and re-order the Mushkin, and try the "disable and clone" trick with it.

Amazon says the Crucial drive should be delivered by the 22nd.

If the Crucial fails to install with TRIM, and fails to work with TRIM disabled, I will send it back, and just go back to a HDD ... until the Samsung 840 EVO mSATA 120 GB gets cheap enough ($99).
ThinkPad 560X
ThinkPad T23
ThinkPad T43
ThinkPad SL410

Tasurinchi

#58 Post by Tasurinchi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:30 am

GACrabill wrote:
gehageh wrote:I am also interested in this solution for my T43. What about this item? http://www.ebay.com/itm/251339027138?ss ... 1438.l2649
You do not want that item ... it has the old Jmicron JM20330 chip which was known to have problems.
I got the one gehaged posted above with a 32GB Samsung mSata SSD. I'm using it on my X32 with a non PAE Debian Linux. So far it's working very well. And according to Debian TRIM seems to be enabled.

The adapter fits perfectly in the X32 bay. I haven't tried it in any of my T4x's but I'm thinking of buying another adapter and try an OCZ mSata SSD I have lying around.

My 2 cents...
IBM Convertible 5140/L40SX/220/240/240X/2*340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/2*570/2*600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E
A20p/A22p/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/2*T22/4*T4x/11*T6x/6*T40x/6*T5x0/3*W5x0/W700/3*X2x/4*X3x/3*X4x/5*X6x/3*X6xT/12*X2xx/4*X30x/Z60m/3*Z61x

Nameless
Freshman Member

#59 Post by Nameless » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:53 pm

OK well it turns out the Intel SSD's had old firmware after all, DC03 while the latest was DC33.

Bad news is that even after updating the firmware, Win 7 would still not install with Trim enabled. SO...

Tweaked my install media as I think it needed to be tweaked to disable Trim (regedit DisableDeleteNotification to 1 in both boot.wim and install.wiim) and tried again, and... NO LUCK.

So I'm RMA'ing the Intel SSD's, can't RMA the adapters since it's past 30 days already, maybe will try again with a different SSD if anyone has any suggestions. I heard Xenomorph mention the Samsung 840? If we collectively can't come up with a working mSata SSD for T43/p, then maybe I'll give the OWC Legacy Pro a go.

So I'm bummed and pee'd at the same time, that I couldn't get this to work. darn that stupid bridge chip..... :evil:

GACrabill

#60 Post by GACrabill » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Nameless wrote:... maybe I'll give the OWC Legacy Pro a go.
You will want to read the post by 'automobus' about the internals of the OWC Legacy Pro: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 03#p706503

Since it uses a JMicron chip for IDE-to-SATA conversion, I would not expect it to solve the WIN7 problem with a T43.