Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T43 Resume Issues

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
CeeBee
Sophomore Member

T43 Resume Issues

#1 Post by CeeBee » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:03 am

T43-1871-4BU with 2MB memory and 120GB Hitachi HD. Modded BIOS 1.29 (2010 error removed).

Installed Windows 7 Pro back in January 2014 and ever since the various IBM/Lenovo support progs have worked fine, Power Manager included. All Fn buttons worked and sleep/hibernate and resume, etc., worked fine too.

About 2-3 weeks ago (maybe after the July MS Patch Tuesday) I started having trouble with resume, both from sleep and hibernation, with the following symptoms:

1. Entering sleep/hibernation works as normal.
2. Resuming from sleep/hibernation, on 1st try, the computer resumes to the password screen and then goes back (takes more time than normal) to sleep or hibernation respectively.
3. On 2nd resume try, the computer resumes okay and I can enter a password and get back to my desktop.

Any obvious fixes to this? I have run all PC-Doctor 5 system tests and they check out okay. Short of removing Power Manager 6.67.4, is there a way to disable same to test sleep/resume with W7's native power management progs only?

CeeBee
Sophomore Member

Re: T43 Resume Issues

#2 Post by CeeBee » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:42 am

Installed PM 6.67.5 (over the old version), however, no difference. Same resume issues.

Uninstalled PM 6.67.5 and used W7's native power management. No difference, same resume issues.

Then, reinstalled PM 6.64.2 (the version I had installed originally). All Fn buttons works okay, but, same resume issues, no change.

So, would a BIOS reset to default help? Or, is this a W7 problem? Or, maybe a hardware problem?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#3 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:46 am

CeeBee wrote:
So, would a BIOS reset to default help?
No.
Or, is this a W7 problem?
Windows Update, most likely. I've seen quite a few bits and pieces broken with updates over the past month or so and am still trying to wrap my head around which one(s) caused the issue(s).
Or, maybe a hardware problem?
No.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

CeeBee
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by CeeBee » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:04 pm

Thanks George...

Windows Update! Great. That means I'll probably never figure it out unless MS issues a fix (assuming others also have experienced resume issues). I'll check with MS' tech forum when I have time...

As for BIOS, to be sure I reverted to IBM's original v1.29 (via v1.28) and that made no difference. So, I reinstalled the 2010-error-modded BIOS again (also v1.29).

As for hardware, I was afraid it could have something to do with the dreaded Southbridge chip-set. If that's not the case (after all, all my PC-Doctor 5 tests are OK), I'm all happy.

CeeBee
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by CeeBee » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 am

Old thread, possible fix (it works so far)! Unrelated, I thought, due to CD-DVD drive disconnect issues and as of late outright errors (with beeps and error pop-ups) , I manually changed the registry by adding:

1. Controller0 to atapi here: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0
2. EnumDevice1 = 1 to Controller0

The procedure is described in Microsoft's KB314060 (and in other threads online). Presumably the change tells the OS what ATAPI channel the CD-DVD drive should use and, in so doing, it also sorted out the issue I have had with sleep resume.

I hope it sticks .. so I'll mark this thread as solved.