Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Clean Install on T40 - Advice Needed

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
t40_owner

Clean Install on T40 - Advice Needed

#1 Post by t40_owner » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:41 am

I am about to attempt a clean install on my T40. The last time I did a clean install was about 4 months ago when I replaced the hard drive. I used the original recovery CD's (and created the recovery partition on the drive) - but what a pain since it involved hours of windows updating just to get back to SP2 levels. This time I have an XP PRO SP2 install disc, so it will be more up to date from the get go - but obviously this will not install any other software. I'm trying to determine exactly what IBM/Lenovo software I need to install for full functionality. After installing the OS, is it possible to use the recovery CD's and simply install "other software," and then manually update some of those programs (I don't want to use System Update as it has caused problems lately). My main concern is full functionality of all the T40 specific keyboard buttons, etc. Should I keep that recovery partition - or any way to make that partition more current? Anybody's advice or shared experiences doing the cleanest install possible is appreciated. Thanks.

richk

#2 Post by richk » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:03 am

I have a copy of SP2 on a CD, so this is how I build T40 machines to sell:

1) Recover with recovery disks or service partition
2) Install XP SP2
3) Use windows update to install hotfixes and include .Net version 1.1 update. (.Net 2.0 didn't help me)
4) Under add and remove programs, choose "IBM Update Connector" and uninstall
5) Restart
6) Install System Update 3.0

If you install from XP SP2 (not IBM version) you won't need to do step 4, but if you make sure you have the latest .net 1.1, you can use system update.

I think if you are installing without IBM CDs, you don't need the recovery partition, so boot into the BIOS, and under security/predesktop area, change the setting to disabled. That will make the recovery area space available.

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by jdhurst » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:09 am

If you use your own XP license and CD, I don't think you can pull off the drivers from the recovery CD. I have a T41 with IBM recovery CD's and all you can do with these is do the preload.

So you can approach this two ways:
1. Do as you suggest, but first download all the TP drivers from the IBM Support website and save them to a CD or to a networkable computer. Then once you have installed your own XP, go get the drivers from the CD or whatever and install them.
2. Download the SP2 file (275 Mb) and save it (as in step 1). Run the recovery CD's to create a preload. Go get SP2 and install it. Then run Windows update. There will still be a pile of updates, but there are only a small number of questions and generally it is a lengthy but painless process. Then uninstall the few IBM things you don't need.

It is purely personal preference. I use method 2 and machines prepared that way function exceedingly well. Other people like method 1. The end results (if you work diligently) are the same.

... JDH

ulrich.von.lich

#4 Post by ulrich.von.lich » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:22 pm

I was also unable to pull off the drivers from recovery CDs of T43. There are SEVEN of them!!! They give me headaches every time I have to use them.

It'd be a lot simpler if I could use a generic XP installation CD to do a fresh install, then download ThinkVintage stuff.

However, I was told the license on the bottom of the ThinkPad is not pre-activated. In order to use it, I'll have to call Microsoft to get it activated. And every time I reinstall the OS, I'll have call them again..

Is that what you guys usually do? Are they nice people to speak to?

t40_owner

#5 Post by t40_owner » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:07 pm

Thanks for the responses everybody.

RichK - I thought .net 2.0 or later was needed to use System Update 3.0 or later.

Last time around I did the recovery CD (w/partition) method - but it seemed to take forever to get to SP2 - a bunch of updates were required before I could even install SP2. Then going through a bunch of uninstalls is a pain.

Ulrich - you just gave me an idea about using the original XP key - I think I'll try using my SP2 media and see if I can activate with the original key - I'll let you know what happens. Also, as far as the original apps and drivers go - they are on the C drive (provided you're looking at the original preload) under C:\IBMTOOLS\APPS and C:\IBMTOOLS\DRIVERS. I just copied those folders onto a flash drive and will use them once the OS is installed - that way I can pick and choose the select few programs (WinDVD so I can get video playback) I may want.

[i][/i]

kyrotech

#6 Post by kyrotech » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:24 pm

Access ThinkPad
Audio driver for Windows 98SE2KXP
Battery MaxiMiser and Power Management ThinkPad
EasyEject Utility for Windows
Ethernet Intel PRO1000 LAN adapter software for Windows 2kXP
IBM Rescue and Recovery v2.04.0182
Intel Chipset Drivers 6.3.0.1007
Monitor File Win9xME2kXP
PC-Doctor for Windows - Desktops Notebooks
ThinkPad Configuration Utility
ThinkPad Hotkey driver for Windows
ThinkPad Integrated 56K Modem Software for Windows 2000XPVista
ThinkPad Intel MiniPCI adapter Wireless Driver Windows 2kXP
ThinkPad Keyboard Customizer Utility for Windows 2kXP
ThinkPad Power Management Driver for Windows 9xME2kXPVISTA
ThinkPad Presentation Director for Windows 2kXP
ThinkPad Software Installer for Windows 2kXP
ThinkVantage Access Connections for Windows XP 2000 - Notebooks
ThinkVantage Active Protection System for Windows 2000XPVista (32bit)
ThinkVintage System Update 3.0
TrackPoint Accessibility driver for Windows
Video driver ATI Radeon FireGL Series for Windows 2000XP
IBM ThinkPad T42 CTU # Pentium M 1.8 Ghz Dothan # Mobility 9600 64 MB @375/240 # Hynix 1024 MB PC2700 RAM #
Fujitsu 80 GB 5400 RPM # LG CDRW/DVD Combo Drive # Intel Wireless b/g mPCI # TFT 14.1 XGA Display # WinXP Pro SP2 Catalyst 7.7

stuartf
Sophomore Member

How would this differ in a T43?? NT

#7 Post by stuartf » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:34 am

The subject says it all
T23, X32 (2672-A43), T43 (2687D4U)