Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

BEWARE of Superior Reball and Rework for GPU reballing / fix

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
underclocker

Re: BEWARE of Superior Reball and Rework for GPU reballing / fix

#31 Post by underclocker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:46 am

mgb wrote:Look forward to this service; I assume we'll see a prominent announcement on this board.
Congratulatioins on the partnership!

I am also looking forward to a detailed announcement. Please include info about any other swap/repair options and cost info, if possible. A friend just gave me a T40 with a fine GPU, but it doesn't charge the battery any more. Is a mobo swap out an option for that one?!
T510, i7-620m, NVidia, HD+, 8GB, 512GB Intel 545s SSD, Webcam, BT, FPR Home
T400s, C2D SP9400, Intel 4500MHD, WXGA+, 8GB, 160GB Intel X18-M G2 SSD, Webcam, BT, FPR Travel
Edge 14 i5-540m, Intel HD Graphics, HD, 8GB, 180GB Intel Pro 1500 SSD, Webcam, BT, red cover Music

poshgeordie
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#32 Post by poshgeordie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:06 am

RBS and I are sorting out the finer details and there should be an official announcement very soon.

@underclocker - Many thanks for you kind words - we're very excited about it.

Our most pressing need at the moment is building up an initial stock of suitable non working boards; ideally we're looking for unsoldered GPU's and SB's but if you'd be prepared to donate it we'd be extremely grateful.

If you could help out , could you contact RBS directly and arrange details - it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#33 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:59 am

underclocker wrote:A friend just gave me a T40 with a fine GPU, but it doesn't charge the battery any more. Is a mobo swap out an option for that one?!
Not our final answer, but initially we'll want (and fix) only boards with GPU and/or Southbridge problems.
We are not a repair-service as such for other problems.
Perhaps at a later stage, when we have enough stock, we may reconsider.

Non-charging is most likely due to one or more of the fuses being blown.
For an overview of these, see this.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

kge420
Sophomore Member

#34 Post by kge420 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:19 am

I have an A30 board with bad audio if I remember correctly. I have no use for this and am willing to donate it if it is needed/wanted.
T40p- 60gb ssd, 2gb ram,2.0gHz Dothan, Win XPpro
X41t- 40gb hdd, 2gb ram, 1.6gHz, Android 4.0.3 ICS
L412- i3, 256gb SSD, 8gb ram, Win7 x64
760C - cmos battery code issues

poshgeordie
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#35 Post by poshgeordie » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:47 am

kge420 wrote:I have an A30 board with bad audio if I remember correctly. I have no use for this and am willing to donate it if it is needed/wanted.
We'll get back to you on that - many thanks.

Nick

VFR_firefly

#36 Post by VFR_firefly » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:45 am

I've never had an actual issue with any of the dozen re-ball jobs done by Superior. Not anything that wasn't my own fault or lack of repair skills.

My first (and only) 2 attempts at doing a reflow myself were total failures. So I gave up on destroying boards and sent them both to Dale at Superior. Of course he couldn't fix them because I'd already destroyed them by my ham-fisted attempts at laptop voodoo heat.

Since then I have had about a dozen boards fixed by them for myself and for friends. Only one has ever failed and that was the one that my wife bashed into my knee while I rolled over on the bed as she went to set the R51 onto the previously empty spot of the bed where I sleepily went to put my knee. It hurt my knee so bad that It swelled up at the kneecap. Who knew you could use a Thinkpad as a weapon? I can't really blame the reball job after I kneed the back of the Thinkpad hard enough to knock it out of her hands. I sent the board back and they were still able to repair it the second time and it worked great for a year in a different (uncracked) case after that until a crappy generic powersupply shorted out in a freak fireball and took the computer with it.

I had an issue with another board which I had sent back to Superior but still didn't work. But one of the guys at Superior helped me through that as he suggested I replace every component one at a time until I found what it was that was causing the board not to work or post. It had tested out on their bench so it wasn't the board. I didn't believe them at first but the last thing I tried was the CPU -which must have been bad because as soon as I switched it out the thing came roaring back to life. I've never had a CPU fail like this for me -wouldn't even let the battery charge LED on the monitor light up when it was plugged in. -weird!

I've been using Superior Reball for a few years now (ever since they started doing the T4x/R5x GPU reball almost) and the only one that has ever failed was that one my wife karate-chopped over my sleep-rolling knee hard enough to cause major swelling and bruising of my knee. I've only had 2 that they couldn't fix (because I runed them in an ill-advised attempt to reflow myself) and they communicated the fact that they couldn't fix them after I emailed them a week after I shipped the boards to them. They tried every trick they knew but the boards were just too far gone. And no, they didn't charge me for something they couldn't fix. That's a class act IMHO.

As far as I'm concerned they are a great service and I intend to use them again in the future. I've got a T41 I picked up the other day for $40 and a couple of R51's that a friend found for me for $20 each. All of them exhibit the classic GPU signs and will only post/boot if you push on the bezel over the GPU. One machine is destined as a backup machine for my wife and myself (in case she decides to take out my other knee some sleep-addled morning -did I say she was a little bit clumsy?) and the other two are going to my sister for her 2 kids.

For the nearly-nothing Superior charges for doing an actual reball using the proper machine why would anyone play around doing a voodoo reflow job? Do it right I say.

To those of you who had problems with Superior, I don't know what you did wrong but I've never had an issue communicating with Dale or anyone at Superior. They've shot straight with me and my friends the dozen or so times we've used them and were nothing but professional and efficient. They have made my life much easier -and that's all I ask for!

YMMV
Molon Labe

-Jim

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#37 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:01 am

VFR_firefly wrote:
To those of you who had problems with Superior, I don't know what you did wrong
And what makes you think that any/all of those people have done anything wrong?

You've had great experiences with SR. Good for you.

Not everyone can claim the same, obviously, and there's absolutely no reason to question the actions of the ones who were less fortunate than you.

BTW, I don't sit on either side of the fence in this "dispute". Very few boards that I do get re-balled are done elsewhere, for more money, but I've NEVER had one come back. I've never dealt with SB personally and have no intention of doing so in the future, but also have no ill will towards them.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#38 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:29 pm

No need to be afraid of GPU Medics or Superior Reball any longer.
See www.theboardroom.info

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#39 Post by Harryc » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Site looks good. You may want to consider getting a PO box instead of using your home address.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#40 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:22 pm

We don't live near our official "home" Post Office (ca. 12 miles).
They do deliver packages promptly though.
But there's a much more convenient Post Office from another township only 5 miles away...
Don't know why we were not "redirected" to that PO.
No wonder the USPS is losing money...

cmarti
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#41 Post by cmarti » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:57 am

My son's T43p is acting up lately, I think the issue might be the GPU loose.

It freezes and he is getting the blue screen of dead with drivers errors.

How much these motherboards repairs are going for now?
X32/2.0GHZ/2GB/ENGENIUS EMP-8602+S 600mw mini pci/WD 250GB
X60/1.83GHZ/2GB/Atheros/7K100

poshgeordie
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#42 Post by poshgeordie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:58 pm

cmarti wrote:My son's T43p is acting up lately, I think the issue might be the GPU loose.

It freezes and he is getting the blue screen of dead with drivers errors.

How much these motherboards repairs are going for now?
Could you PM RealBlackStuff please.

i made you a cookie

#43 Post by i made you a cookie » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:14 pm

First, a post summary: YES, THIS GUY SUCKS. Just needed to make that clear. Now for the actual post...

Hi, everyone. I created my account just to share my current ongoing frustration with SR. I was miffed enough to be tempted to start a whole new thread, but I'll just post it here.

I had a T42 mobo with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 that started showing the dreaded GPU problem. The screen would inevitably go black or become filled with colorful artifacts; I put foam between the GPU and palm rest to allow me to press it back in, but eventually this would stop working and I would have to restart to temporarily fix the display.

I knew to be cautious of this guy based on what I had read, but I had two other IDE hard drive/DDR RAM laptops and could use the leftover parts if it didn't work out. He responded to my earlier inquiries within a day, and after I shipped him the motherboard and e-mailed him the tracking number on November 19, he replied, "Great!! Thanks for the business!! I will let you know when we receive the motherboard. Thanks for the business!!"

According to tracking, it arrived a few days later. He never notified me of anything. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and waited a few weeks. He never replied. This is from someone who said in an earlier e-mail, "Our turn time is five business day's from the time we receive your IBM. We may be able to get the repair completed faster." On December 8 and December 16, I sent two e-mails asking for an update. No answer.

I finally made a phone call today. He answered, and I asked about the status of my laptop. After a minute or so, he said something that really made me suspicious. To paraphrase, "Ah, here's what's wrong. You don't have an ATI. You have an Intel GPU. Usually Intels don't have this problem. It's weird that yours does." Well, I knew that was wrong, but even if that was the case, why the hell couldn't he tell me that without me having to ask him three times?! I said, in either case, I'll take it back. He said he'd either have it fixed or shipped today.

Anyways, I did some research (mostly on these forums) to confirm my suspicions that he either mixed up some mobos or is deliberately lying. So I made my case in this e-mail:

"I'm sorry, but you may have mixed up motherboards. I did some research and I'm just about certain that I had an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (definitely an ATI at least). This picture matches the grey unit I remembered seeing the when I reapplied thermal paste, including the distinct ATI logo. I remember installing ATI Catalyst drivers. T42's only come with ATI GPU's. R51's come with Intel GMA GPU's, but those only support XGA displays, not the 15" 1400x1050 SXGA+ display that I have. R52's and T43's do have Intel GPU's that support SXGA+, but requires DDR2 RAM rather than DDR (still, if you were going to send an R52 or T43 mobo, I'll gladly take it, as I have some spare DDR2 RAM). The model number was 2373-8ZU, matching an SXGA+ T42 with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600. Even in the case that this number was wrong, the other evidence suggests an ATI GPU."

So if I don't get a reply to this I'll call him tomorrow. It's a good thing I'm only out $10 shipping and an old, half-working computer, but I'm still mad as hell at this guy.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#44 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:58 am

Hint: ALWAYS record the part number (P/N or FRU) and possibly the serial number of items that you ship out for repair!

If you enter the type and serial number off the bottom of your laptop here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... yle=lenovo
you can check the PARTS that came with the laptop originally.
Unless it was swapped out earlier, it will tell you the motherboard (Planar in IBM-speak) P/N or FRU.

i made you a cookie

#45 Post by i made you a cookie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Thanks for the advice. I did record the serial number and he has it on the included form I sent him. I just called him and he admitted to a mix-up and said he has the 9600 out of the mobo right now, and is fixing it. According to the site, the mobo should be a 93P3772, which seems to match what I have, including the gray ATI GPU. It's slightly complicated by the fact that I bought it used, within a display-less T42 case, to replace my comatose R51 mobo (also ATI). There's a small chance the previous owner may changed some parts. I should've at least taken some good pictures of mine.

I hope he'll start getting on the re-ball, now. I asked him to give me an update by the end of today; if he doesn't, I'll call him tomorrow. If he eventually gives me a working board, then I might recommend taking the risk on this guy, if you don't need your board for several weeks and you're willing to prod him along with several phone calls.

Eric Giles

#46 Post by Eric Giles » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:40 pm

I recently sent a T41 motherboard with the failing GPU issue to GPU Medics after I saw they were repairing them for a $30 flat fee that included shipping back to you, if you sent them the motherboard only. I researched here first, and saw that things had gotten better with them so I took a chance. I must say, I am very impressed and pleased with the service that I received. I sent the board in, and after they received it I got an e-mail stating it was there. A few days later, I got a call from them saying my motherboard was fixed and they would be shipping it back to me. Now it did take a few days before they shipped it back, but I did receive it.

I have just had a chance to reinstall and test it, and it is working perfectly. We will see how the repair holds up, but I don't see any reason that it won't. So in my experience I recommend them. In fact, I have another T40 coming in with a faulty motherboard that I will be sending their way once I receive it.

Hard to beat getting it fully operational again for only $30.
I lost count...

mzu2006

#47 Post by mzu2006 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Well, I send them my thinkpad T42 motherboard. The guy who was responding my e-mails (Robert) was very quick in responding initially. He advertised the workaround of 5 days or less. Promised to contact me when they get the board. They received it (according to USPS tracking) this Monday(03/14/2011). I have sent them another e-mail to remind (Wednesday). No replies so far. Will wait 1 more day before calling them. (The details of the problems I had are here: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94739). I am getting nervous...

mgb
Sophomore Member

#48 Post by mgb » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:55 am

I replaced my T43 motherboard with one from The Board Room. Followed the Thinkpad Hardware Maintenance Manual carefully (I would classify my skill level as "moderate"). Working great!!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#49 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:27 pm

We are not the only ones being ripped off by GPU Medics, see also these:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge ... pu-medics/
http://iripoff.com/14752/GPU_MEDICS_.html
http://www.ripoffreport.com/computer-se ... -9727e.htm
http://www.ripoffreport.com/computer-se ... -9cbf8.htm
http://www.ripoffreport.com/computer-se ... -98e86.htm
http://answercenter.ebay.com/thread.jsp ... 1614353598

The one time I did send him a board, I told him it was a 'guinea pig' run, so everything went smooth and in a timely manner!
Ever since he has gone down (Dale Robert Miedema, a.k.a. Robert M. is only a one-man-band).
He is also no longer advertising on eBay, presumably after too many complaints to them AND PayPal.

billp117

#50 Post by billp117 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Well GPU Medic's email address and website is no longer working. Also, they never returned my T43p motherboard with 128 mb graphics. All emails went unanswered after they told me the board may not be repairable but they would get back to me. Hmmmm.

It was worth a try...but apparently they cannot overcome the problems involved with reballing. I wish them no harm but it is certainly a buyer beware at this point.
Billp117, Kirkland, WA

T410-SSD, X200, X100e, 2-T61, T60, 3-T43, T43p, TR451, X41t, X21, 701c

outpaddling

#51 Post by outpaddling » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:42 pm

I also had a very bad experience with Superior Reball.

First, it took several weeks for them to fix my T42 and I had to email/call them several times to get them through the next step.

When I finally got it back, the laptop was improperly reassembled. The palm rest above the DVD drive was not inserted properly, and was bent upward. When I took the top off to correct this, I found that they had mixed up all the screws through the bottom of the case. They inserted a 1 inch screw where a 1/4 inch screw belonged. The long screw was actually pushing the heat sink up off the CPU, and preventing the left side of the palm rest from seating properly.

On top of that, the display is starting to misbehave again only a couple of months after the repair.

Never again...

SlamX
Freshman Member

#52 Post by SlamX » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:35 pm

Just as a followup this company is poison. Look them up on the BBB.org

They have F rating. Nothing but complaints.
T-42 2373-CTO
WinXP Pro
T-43 2668-4DU
WinXP Pro