Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T43 - "Operating System Not Found" ?

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
Kieran W

T43 - "Operating System Not Found" ?

#1 Post by Kieran W » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:32 pm

Hello new to the forum

When switched on my T43 comes up operating system not found :(

Any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED

Thank You

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

Re: T43 - "Operating System Not Found" ?

#2 Post by rkawakami » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:48 pm

Welcome to thinkpads.com!

There's several things which may lead to this problem:

- the hard drive has become defective
- the data on the hard drive has been damaged/changed; the drive itself may still be functional
- the disk drive interface on the motherboard has a problem

First, you should try re-seating the hard drive inside the bay.

You can also attempt to troubleshoot the problem by downloading a copy of PC Doctor for DOS for the T4x systems from here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-56222

This is a diagnostic program which has been provided by IBM for use with Thinkpads. This version is an .ISO file which needs to be burned onto a CD using a program which can handle the .ISO format - you can't simply write the file onto a blank disk; there's usually a specific mode for writing an image file.

Once you have the bootable CD, you can start the system (press the F12 key when the IBM splash screen is displayed and select the CD/DVD drive as the boot device) and run the Fixed Disk test under the Diagnostics menu. There's several tests which will verify that the controller is working properly and that the system can read data from the hard drive.
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

Kieran W

#3 Post by Kieran W » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:34 am

Thanks a lot Ray for the help

When you say "re-seating the hard drive inside the bay" you mean unscrew the laptop from the back to do this? are they any guides on this?

I should mention that when is says operating system not found is also has

PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF : Existing Broadcom PXE ROM

If that means anything?

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:00 am

Good advice from Ray.

I have seen this a couple of times when I'm messing with partitions and I mess up on a step. Luckily I'm a little better and have a great network of ppl who can help if I need assistance. I usually get this when the boot file has been altered and is unaccessible during startup. I usually load the OS disc in and repair the bootfile that way.

Not sure what OS you are using but if you let us know we may be better prepared to help.
Thinkpad T470 | iPhone XR | mATX Comet Lake Desktop | Hackintosh Monterey | Lenovo L24q-30 Monitor

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:46 pm

Switch off the laptop, disconnect AC power.
When you look at the right side, next to the palm rest, you'll see a cover about 3" wide.
Turn the laptop over, and on the bottom you will find the screw that holds that cover in place.
Take the screw out, then pull that cover out (which is attached to the hard disk), and then push it all fully back in.
Re-attach AC and try booting again.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Kieran W

#6 Post by Kieran W » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:56 pm

rkawakami wrote:
First, you should try re-seating the hard drive inside the bay.

run the Fixed Disk test under the Diagnostics menu. There's several tests which will verify that the controller is working properly and that the system can read data from the hard drive.
I tried re-seating the hard disk and it didn't help :(

I ran the test and it came up - 206-199-000-20091212-87-Diskette Drive : Falied
emeraldgirl08 wrote:
Not sure what OS you are using but if you let us know we may be better prepared to help.
XP

Anyone please help?

Thank You

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#7 Post by killer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi Kieran,

Welcome from another UK Thinkpad user.

What is the machine type of your T43? The reason I ask is that I have a full set of recovery disks for my T43 (1871-FWG). If you promise to return them then I am happy to lend you these if you have a similar machine type.

Basically it comes down to whether you have a 15" screen or a 14" screen.

Otherwise, unless your machine is still in warranty ... which I doubt, you might want to use a Linux operating system or pay IBM about £50 for a set of recovery disks.

Anyway, the machine type and model are printed underneath the machine. Take a look, post back, and let's see if I can help you. :)
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

X1 Carbon Win 7 Pro 64 for my wife.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Dogs must be carried on the escalator. Where can I find a dog?

Kieran W

#8 Post by Kieran W » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:10 pm

killer thank you very much for your post and offer! :D

The sreen I think is 14 inch and the type is 2669 - 42G S/N L3 - KVEP6 05/11

I don't want to use Linux as haven't used that OS before and IBM's £50 is a bit steep

If the discs suit and you post them I will retun them along with the cost of you posting them to me

Thanks

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#9 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:32 pm

Kieran. Linux has LiveCD's which mean that you can try the OS' before installing it. This is done so you can see if your hardware runs fine with the OS. Linux has several...I mean several... distribution versions. I think there are around 200 flavors of Linux.

The most familiar one is Ubuntu. There is also Linux Mint which is well suited for a new person. It includes multimedia codecs so you can watch a DVD, listen to MP3's, etc. Ubuntu doesn't come with these codecs so a couple of lines of script are required in terminal (a type of DOS box). Sounds difficult but is very easy to use and I find it to be a blessing alot of times :)

The distros all perform differently on each person comp or laptop. Hardware compatibility and screen/GUI menu appearance are also different from distro to distro.

If you got time and want more control over your computing experience download a LiveCD and join the forums for whatever distro you choose. Best of all the OS is free :)

Sorry if I strayed but food for thought.
Thinkpad T470 | iPhone XR | mATX Comet Lake Desktop | Hackintosh Monterey | Lenovo L24q-30 Monitor

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#10 Post by killer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:35 pm

Sorry to tell you that machine type 2669 is not included in the list of machines on the CDs. :(

While I was replying emeralgirl has (very helpfully) posted about Ubuntu. I tried Ubuntu 9.10 and it is very easy to use ... and free.

It might be worth you trying it, at least until you can find someone with the correct recovery disks for your machine. It may be worth keeping a look out on ebay.
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

X1 Carbon Win 7 Pro 64 for my wife.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Dogs must be carried on the escalator. Where can I find a dog?

SJRoome

#11 Post by SJRoome » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:22 am

Hi

Assuming reseating the hard drive did not fix the problem, create and run a PC doctor diagnostics CD as advised by rkawakami. Instructions for doing so are here http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-56222

Run the full diagnostics. Ignore failure messages about floppy drives (you haven't got one) and the CD drive (you would need to have a RW disk in to pass).

If the motherboard, CPU, graphics and hard disk pass and you dont want to buy a recovery disk then simply re-install XP. You can do this using any XP installation disk, either one that came with the laptop or any other PC. Use your own licence key. This is on the COA sticker underneath the machine. If you see two disk partitions load the operating system onto the second one.

The laptop should then work, but will need lots of drivers installing. Download Lenovo system update from http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... PDATE.html and run it.

This will sort out the drivers. Then go to microsoft windows update and download all the patches and security updates.

This will take time and effort, but is legal, free, and doesn't require learning another operating system. I did it myself of a T43 last week.

Steve

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#12 Post by Neil » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:13 am

Some very helpful suggestions have already been given, but I'm not clear about whether this laptop was working fine, and then all of a sudden stopped, or have you recently acquired it and turned it on to find that it doesn't have an OS installed?
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

Kieran W

#13 Post by Kieran W » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:43 am

Thanks for the replys people

Neil I had the laptop since new, it was my first ever computer at home :oops:

SJRoome that sounds like a plan, I don't think the T43 came with any disks and my second ever computer is a Samsung netbook again didn't come with any disks :? , I will need to think a way around this

I will try and run the PC diagnostics again, I seem to be able to run it no probs but trying to get a summary page of what it found it seems a bit hard

SJRoome

#14 Post by SJRoome » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:20 am

Hi Kieran

When PC Doctor 5 finishes a diagnostic test it shows the results in 13 categories. To scroll through the results use the page up and page down keys. Either record the results by hand or photo the screens using a digital camera. If you want to post a screen use a photo hosting site and only put a link or thumbnail in your post here.

Try borrowing an XP disk from your IT department at work or from a friend. Explain you dont need their key as you have your own.

Steve

SteveS
Sophomore Member

#15 Post by SteveS » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:55 am

Could be a more basic problem - Do you have a USB flash drive plugged in when you try to boot?

If you set "USB HDD" before the "HDD 0" in the BIOS boot order list, and have a USB flash drive plugged in, you will get this problem unless the drive is a compatible IBM flash drive initiated for USB boot.

I use an old version of Norton Ghost to clone drives, using a Lenovo USB flash drive. So I have set USB HDD higher in the boot order list in BIOS in all my thinkpads. You can leave it set this way all the time, but if you forget and try to coid boot with any other flash drive in, you get the "Operating System Not Found" message.
2668G1U

911dispatcher

#16 Post by 911dispatcher » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:00 am

Greetings,

I am new to the forum, but thought I would solicit help before I pull out what remaining hair I still have.

I faced a blue screen that read physical memory dump. When my machine restarted, the OS was not found. I ran bios and found hard drive was not being detected. Purchased a NEW replacement hard drive (hitachi model: hts541680j9at00 80gb). It also is having problems being recognized in the bios boot order, but it seems to be intermittent. When it is recognized in the bios boot order and I restart with the XP Pro OS disk in the DVD drive it begins like it is going to reload the OS but then I get to a screen that says the hard drive (new) cannot be found. I'm questioning if there is firmware that I need for the new hard drive or worse???? My machine type is a 2687d3u.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Happy Holidays!

Ryan

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#17 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:42 am

Hi Ryan, welcome to the Forum.
From your description, you may have a (coming) loose Intel Southbridge chip.
If you remove the keyboard and palm rest (keyboard bezel), you will find your wifi-card under it.
Remove that wifi card. Underneath that card is a big square chip with Intel printed on it.
Just reattach your keyboard, press on a corner of that Intel chip, and see if it boots.
Try different corners for different boots.
If it now works, you'll need to have the Southbridge reballed ($45.- + shipping).
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

911dispatcher

#18 Post by 911dispatcher » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:19 am

Realblackstuff,

Thanks for your input. Going to give your suggestion a try, I have little to loose at this point. Can you tell me what reballed means?

Ryan

Beaver
Sophomore Member

#19 Post by Beaver » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:21 am

It's renewing of soldering joints. These joints are in fact tiny balls of solder, that's why it's called reballing.
IBM T40p 2373-CG6, Pentium M 1.5 GHz, 1024 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 14.1" TFT, ATI FireGL 9000 64 MB
Dual boot WinXP + Fedora Core 10

911dispatcher

#20 Post by 911dispatcher » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:41 am

After some analysis it appears that I have a defective IDE receiver (the pin receiver that connects the hard drive to the motherboard). With some slight manipulation (bending it) the old hard drive connects and operates just fine. Unfortunately, this was determined after the 7 day return policy expired for the new hard drive I purchased. Anyone have any ideas on how to go about fixing the IDE receiver or affixing it to the motherboard to hold it in place. Superglue?

Ryan

P.S. I know have an 80gb Hitachi Hard drive I would be willing to sell for $50 if anyone is interested.