thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
  Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
Our oldest longest advertiser of parts for ThinkPads
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
Goodbye, Mr. Spock, wherEVER you've gone..

If you've found this forum useful, please consider donating a dollar or two

It is currently Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:48 pm 

hi everyone,
I've had my machine for a few years now, and it's getting a bit slower. but, i'd like to hold on to it for a little while longer.

does anyone with one out there have any suggestions for some sweet upgrades or warnings against some upgrades that just wouldn't work? like my internal HD. It's only like 50gigs. Would increasing this negatively effect some other component in there? Sorry, upgrade noob here.

I was thinking about upgrading the processor as well. Sound and monitor stuff is fine for me now, I'm just looking for something closer to warp speed ;o)

one more thing, at startup i get some error codes, and every time i have to enter in the date and time before i can move on. can someone tell me what this is about and how to get it to stop? i read something about it some months ago on ebay in passing, but i can't remember what the person said it was. they were selling a machine similar to mine, so they were just letting the potential buyers know about it, but weren't offering a solution....dunno if there is a solution, but they made it seem like it was a common thing that happened with this machine/operating system.

Thanks much!
jt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:01 pm 
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Loss of date and time is likely a bad CMOS battery. Less than $5 on feebay.

As for the rest...it really depends on how far you want to go and what you're willing to spend...

What's the full 7-character model number of that T43, found on the same sticker that shows the serial number and the produc9 date on the bottom of the laptop.

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

Glorified typewriter collecting SSDI: A31p

Abused daily: R60F, R500F, T43pSF, T60, T61

Project: T50

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:28 pm 
Admin
Admin

Last question, first...

The resetting of the system's date and time has to do with a dead (or disconnected) CMOS battery. Sometimes known as a "backup" or "BIOS" battery. It's a small coin-sized battery that's wrapped in plastic and has a very small connector on the end. You can usually find them on eBay for a few dollars; don't spend more than $6 or $7 for one. It's important to get the correct one for your system as there are several styles that are incompatible with each other. The T43p uses one that has an FRU (part number) of 02K6572. Beaten to the punch by George as it's taken me some time to compose this response; work is getting in the way!

You will need a copy of the Hardware Maintenance Manual to see what pieces need to be removed in order to get at the battery. A .PDF copy can be downloaded from here: http://thinkpads.com/support/hmm/hmm_pdf/39t2393.pdf You'll need Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader to open and view the file.

Upgrading the hard drive certainly can help but it's really only useful if you are running out of storage room. Increasing the size would not impact anything else in your system other than possibly making any system backups take longer. At the same time, you could install a "faster" hard drive. Most likely you have a 5400 RPM drive; maybe it's even a slower 4200 RPM unit. Putting in a 100GB 7200RPM drive would take care of two upgrades.

However, I'd say the most important thing to look at first is making sure you have the maximum amount of memory. For a T43p I believe that's 2GB (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). Assuming you have Windows XP on it, that's should be enough.

In my opinion, processor upgrades are not worth the time, effort and money unless you are going to get a 50% increase in processing power. Going from a 2.0GHz CPU to a 2.2Ghz is only 10%. You're only going to see a noticeable difference if you do a bunch of data-crunching. Besides the CPU, you may also have to change out the heatsink/fan assembly (due to an increase in heat given off by the faster processor, although I'm not sure if the T43/p systems ever had an upgraded fan).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:35 am 

Memory upgrade to 2 GB DDR2 PC5300 and change HDD to SSD is very worthed

T60p Type 2007-YS3 : 2.33 Ghz|2 GB|ATI FireGL V5250|80 GB SSD|15" SXGA