Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X330 (WQXGA) Webcam

LARGE picture files allowed here. Those with slow connections, beware!!! do NOT go here on your PDA or Cell Phone!
TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

X330 (WQXGA) Webcam

#1 Post by TPFanatic » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:10 pm

The typical cut for the 13.3" WQXGA X330 eliminates the spycam. Well, one more cut into the poly section of the lid can't hurt, I reckon.

Here's Lenovo's version:

unixed

Re: X330 (WQXGA) Webcam

#2 Post by unixed » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:29 pm

If it's just a USB webcam you can have a look at the ultraport connectors (circa A22p, A31p).

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:38 am

unixed wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:29 pm
If it's just a USB webcam you can have a look at the ultraport connectors (circa A22p, A31p).
I have yet to see a laptop webcam that wasn't USB, though IIRC they ran at 3.3v rather than 5v.
But yeah, Ultraport-style webcams would be nice to have.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by TPFanatic » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:17 am

I read somewhere I think on the old FHD mod thread that most of the internal USB devices (Bluetooth, Webcam) are 3.3V, yes. A look through the schematics confirmed this. It makes them pretty useless for anything but their intended purpose. The Bluetooth one for instance, while yes there are USB A adapters for them, can't be used for expansion of storage since those devices want the full 5V. Now the "ThinkMods" website did advertise manufacturing an actual 5V adapter but they also totally dropped the ball on delivering their expresscard product so anything they promise is realistically no more than a pipe dream. A little wireless KB/mouse receiver works, but I'm a TrackPoint user so that's not for me. An extra WLAN dongle that only needs 3.3V may be useful for some network ideas I have.

I believe there's a little space in the not-latch notch area, that the factory webcam could be crammed behind the LCD and a hole made in the bezel for the lens to see through, but I've decided it's not worth cutting up the machine further and the lack of the webcam is a novelty that should be enjoyed. :??: The ThinkPad webcams are pretty crap anyway so it's hardly a loss. With the 8:5 LCD filling the entire bezel this machine gets pretty close to the bezel-less aesthetic of the IBM era which is very nice.