Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Anyone tried using IBM Z Pro 9228 PSU on different M/B?

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
houndkr

Anyone tried using IBM Z Pro 9228 PSU on different M/B?

#1 Post by houndkr » Mon May 21, 2012 11:43 am

Hi guys,

I happened to get an IBM Z Pro 9228 Workstation Case and PSU some time ago...
It was just rolling around in my room then today I decided to transfer my current desktop components into this one, which is actually the reason why I got this giant piece of steel in my room.
Eventually I ran into some problems such as...
1. Front panel(Power button, LEDs...etc)......Can work on it.
2. Front Audio......Think I can...perhaps just make a new one...I won't use Firewire anyway...
3. Mainboard supporting panel......Will make a new one that fits into the standard ATX board.

The fourth one is troblesome... the power supply.
It was specifically designed for the original mainboard and therefore does not have appropriate connectors to power up a standard ATX M/B.
Of course there is an easy workaround, which is to use my current PSU, but using it with this case would require intensive alteration to the PSU(which would void my warranty, which is still more than 1yr left), the case, or end up with an ugly scene where power supply rolling around the desktop with all the wires tangled up and connected to the case through a big hole :(
Most of all, I want to keep this original 815 Watt PSU, because its capacity will give me advantage in further upgrading(if I manage to use it), and because I think the way the power supply opens up to reveal the mainboard and inner components is really cool.

Is there anybody who is using, or have tried using the 9228 case, the PSU in specific, on a different mainboard? Do you have any pin-outs or can you tell me what to do?