Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How come the M55e doesn't have a DVI outlet

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
chermesh
Freshman Member

How come the M55e doesn't have a DVI outlet

#1 Post by chermesh » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:18 am

Hi,
My M55e includes a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 + PCI Express X16 graphic card.
Following Intel (http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/), The card has "Display hot plug support to automatically detect new display connection while system is operating (CRT and DVI)".
My monitor (SyncMaster 940bw has DVI capabilites and I would like to connect it digitally to the card. Still, the card has no DVI outlet.
How can a card with DVI capabilities doesn't offer a DVI connection?
Am I overseeing something?

Ran

Xavier
Freshman Member

#2 Post by Xavier » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:25 am

The DVI capability is a capabilty of the chipset.
This means that, if a desktop maker wants to use this graphic chipset with a DVI connection, they can do so but have to include a DVI connector.

In M55e, the "e" stands for "economic", which means that Lenovo has tried to reduce costs at their minimum.

You can add DVI capabilities to your desktop by adding an ADD2 card (PCI Express 1X card, costs about $25/30) if you have a PCI Express 1X slot available.
T43 2668-92G (upgraded to 1GB RAM) (don't have it anymore)
X60 1709-H6U (upgraded to 2GB RAM)
T60 1951-A47

chermesh
Freshman Member

Are an adapter and a card equivalent?

#3 Post by chermesh » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.
I checked my manual and it indicates an option for a "One PCI Express x1 adapter connector". You use the term "PCI Express 1X card".
Are the two terms identical?
Can you suggest a link to a possible or even recommeded card/adapter?

Ran

Xavier
Freshman Member

#4 Post by Xavier » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:03 am

Hello again.

Concerning your desktop capabilities, I have just checked the psref, and it says all M55e (desktop or tower form factor) have a PCI Express 1X slot available. However, the tower form factor says "half length, full height", and it makes me wonder about whether the card would fit in a tower M55e (I mean physically: not because of the connector, but because of its dimensions).

Anyway, Lenovo recommends this card : http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... 83BBEAACF8
Maybe you should contact your Lenovo rep and double check with him this possible dimensions issue.

As for the "PCI Express x1 adapter connector" you mention, I am not sure what it is. It sounds to me it is an option to turn a PCI slot into a PCI Express slot, but I am not sure at all...
T60 1951-A47

chermesh
Freshman Member

#5 Post by chermesh » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Thanks Xavier.
My M55e manual indicates the availability of two PCI Express x1 or PCI Express x16 graphics adapter connectors. Therefore, looks like the item you mention fits an available slot on my pc.
I wonder, though, if this adapter provides the expected services I need.
I would like to both connect my pc to my monitor and to a tv set. Shouldn't I look for a piece with TWO DVI connections instead of one.
Are such adapters in existence?
Am I asking for too much?

Ran

chermesh
Freshman Member

Would you believe it?

#6 Post by chermesh » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:36 am

Xavier wrote:Hello again.

Anyway, Lenovo recommends this card : http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... 83BBEAACF8
Maybe you should contact your Lenovo rep and double check with him this possible dimensions issue.
I called Lenovo Israel, in order to order the adapter. The $35 item on the Lenovo US site bacame a gigantic $100 tag.

Would you believe it?

Could you recommend a non-Lenovo equivalent adapter?

Ran

Xavier
Freshman Member

#7 Post by Xavier » Thu May 03, 2007 7:22 am

Hello.

Concerning your TV set, I'd say it depends on what plugs are available on your TV.

If you buy this card, you will have to work either like this:

- monitor connected to the original VGA plug
- TV connected to your DVI plug, provided you've got what's needed on your TV (a DVI plug, or a DVI to HDMI adapter

or like this:

- monitor connected to your DVI plug
- TV connected to your VGA plug, but I think you would need a VGA box or an adaptater to go from VGA to peritel or from VGA to S-video.

I am flabbergasted at the price they ask you for this card!
Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with this kind of material and can't give you any advice about an other similar product.
T60 1951-A47