Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkCentre A55 processor upgrade - Celeron D to Core 2 Duo?

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
minc3d
Sophomore Member

ThinkCentre A55 processor upgrade - Celeron D to Core 2 Duo?

#1 Post by minc3d » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:31 pm

Hey All,

Just got myself a nice Thinkcentre A55 desktop tower that has a Celeron D processor inside. I updated the BIOS to the latest version, and noticed that in the notes of the BIOS updates many references to fixes for CONROE (READ: CORE 2 DUO) processors being included. However, I can't find any reliable info as to what processors would be able to be used on this system, but the hardware replacement manual states many Core 2 Duos from the 4400 all the way up to the 6700 as being compatible replacements. I don't know if Lenovo places BIOS locks on specific units to disallow processor upgrades? Has someone done an upgrade on a similar age machine and had issues?

I like this desktop a lot but need some more processing power. The tower came real cheap, the quality is solid, and all I need is the assurance that buying a processor won't be money wasted.

Thanks everyone!

PS: Here is the link to a screenshot from the A55 service manual showing the various procs which supposedly are upgradable on the system: http://xs320.xs.to/xs320/07422/pic_a55.jpg
IBM Thinkpad T61p on Vista Ultimate x64 [home rig]
IBM Thinkpad Z61t on Vista Ultimate x64 [work/school]

leoblob

#2 Post by leoblob » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:15 pm

My opinion is that if the processors are listed in that manual, and the BIOS notes show fixes for Conroe processors, then I believe you are OK.

I personally doubt the "BIOS locks" business in this case, since the BIOS and the manual both mention Conroe processors.

Every IBM I've ever put a processor in, which was newer than the machine could "recognize," worked perfectly (maybe a notice during boot, but that's it...)

... again, these are simply opinions, based on owning a number of IBM PCs over the years, but none are as new as your A55
TP360 • TP365x • i1452 • TP T42 • Intellistation Z Pro