thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 pm 
Sophomore Member

hoping I can get some assistance or general feedback regarding an issue with my recent order of a ThinkStation E20:

I placed the order for this machine with assurance from my sales rep that it would come bundled with a 32-bit version of Windows 7 recovery software (while I would love to run a 64-bit OS, my job requires the use of incompatible 32-bit legacy software). I was assured that while the system would come preloaded with a 64-bit OS, I would be able to wipe the system with included 32-bit recovery discs. Of course when I received the package, such software was nowhere to be found as the included recovery discs explicitly state "contains 64-bit software only."

When I made this discovery, the sales dept was closed so I went ahead and contacted tech support. The agent led me to this link which details all available recovery software for the E20 system, and much to my astonishment 32-bit Win7 is not listed (however 32-bit Vista is). Does this mean I'm pretty much out of luck? I suppose I could just buy a retail version of 32-bit Win7 Pro, but that defeats part of the purpose behind buying this configured system (given the assurances made by my sales rep).

The overall goal here was to buy a system that could later be transitioned into a full 64-bit environment, but that would enable a robust 32-bit experience in the meantime, until my older software catches up. I'm beginning to wonder if I made a poor choice in buying this specific system, but the more consumer-oriented models didn't seem up to snuff (with respect to cpu, discrete graphics, etc.).

I emailed my sales rep and currently await a response, but I figured I'd try to tap the infinite wisdom/experience of the users on this board in the meantime :D

Thanks for any feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:12 pm 

that list of recovery media is all that's available for your system.

what about using windows XP mode as a virtual machine to run your legacy apps?