Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkStation E20 -- order frustration

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
npish
Sophomore Member

ThinkStation E20 -- order frustration

#1 Post by npish » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 pm

hoping I can get some assistance or general feedback regarding an issue with my recent order of a ThinkStation E20:

I placed the order for this machine with assurance from my sales rep that it would come bundled with a 32-bit version of Windows 7 recovery software (while I would love to run a 64-bit OS, my job requires the use of incompatible 32-bit legacy software). I was assured that while the system would come preloaded with a 64-bit OS, I would be able to wipe the system with included 32-bit recovery discs. Of course when I received the package, such software was nowhere to be found as the included recovery discs explicitly state "contains 64-bit software only."

When I made this discovery, the sales dept was closed so I went ahead and contacted tech support. The agent led me to this link which details all available recovery software for the E20 system, and much to my astonishment 32-bit Win7 is not listed (however 32-bit Vista is). Does this mean I'm pretty much out of luck? I suppose I could just buy a retail version of 32-bit Win7 Pro, but that defeats part of the purpose behind buying this configured system (given the assurances made by my sales rep).

The overall goal here was to buy a system that could later be transitioned into a full 64-bit environment, but that would enable a robust 32-bit experience in the meantime, until my older software catches up. I'm beginning to wonder if I made a poor choice in buying this specific system, but the more consumer-oriented models didn't seem up to snuff (with respect to cpu, discrete graphics, etc.).

I emailed my sales rep and currently await a response, but I figured I'd try to tap the infinite wisdom/experience of the users on this board in the meantime :D

Thanks for any feedback.

erik
Moderator-Emeritus
Moderator-Emeritus

Re: ThinkStation E20 -- order frustration

#2 Post by erik » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:12 pm

that list of recovery media is all that's available for your system.

what about using windows XP mode as a virtual machine to run your legacy apps?
ThinkStation P700 | ThinkPad X1C7