Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

TP Fancontrol keeps getting overwritten by the EC(Bios)

Forum for scripts, utilities like TPFanControl, IBM-ECW, 2-finger scrolling, etc.
daffyduck

TP Fancontrol keeps getting overwritten by the EC(Bios)

#1 Post by daffyduck » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi Guys, I just got a brand spanking new T510 yesterday and the first thing did on it was to get the latest version of TPFancontrol (v0.62) installed on it. I have been using it for many years on all all my XP ThinkPads (T60 and T41s) without any problems and I did not expect any with the T510. But when I got it up and running on the T510 I noticed that the EC keeps coming back and resets it x128 (the BIOS settings) and TPFancontrol then resets it back to x0 when it comes up next. The end result is a merry dance between the two with the BIOS and TPFancontrol taking turns to reset the fan speed. Needless to say that when the temperatures are over 40 degrees centigrade the fan keeps coming on and off which completely defeats the purpose of TPFancontrol.

Has anybody else noticed anything else like this or have any suggestions? I am attaching a screen shot of the TPFancontrol that shows how it has to reset the fan speed every time on top of it cycle time as the BIOS keeps resetting the EC to x128.

T510, Windows 7 Home Premium, BIOS Version - 1.35

daffyduck

Re: TP Fancontrol keeps getting overwritten by the EC(Bios)

#2 Post by daffyduck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:18 pm

I figured this out. On the Lenovo Power Manager the Processor Management option was set to PASSIVE. When i changed it to ACTIVE everything started working.