thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:31 pm 

Hello Forum...it has been a while. I have the same old T30 with lost supervisor password for so many years, and found out about these new little memory chips on eBay but can't be sure. Two sellers (one in Germany and the other in U.S.) call it a BIOS Password Memory Chip, and they say if I replace the old chip on the motherboard and solder this new pre-programmed one, this will allow me to unlock the BIOS and then add more RAM memory modules and change the boot sequence. Is this a sure thing to fix my locked BIOS? Has anyone done this method before with or without success ?

Also I need to ask if there is any possibility of installing a new graphics card in the PCI slots in order to upgrade to Windows 7 ? I know the old integrated graphics does not work well with Windows 7, so is there some other way to upgrade the graphics hardware ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:12 pm 
RBS10000
RBS10000

The Supervisor password can certainly be fixed, and without soldering, but that way???
Never heard a success story with that method...
Anyway, the forum does not allow discussions about password removal.

And you cannot change the graphics on a T30.

Check out The Board Room for:
- LED-mods for the 15" T60/R60/R61
- SATA-mods for any T43/R52 with ATI GPU
- other Services

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:53 pm 

Okay I forgot those rules, so please forget the bios problem as I will solve this on my own.

If the T30 can't be upgraded to a Windows 7 graphics hardware, this will make the laptop obsolete in 2 years when Microsoft will stop the Windows XP updating service. I guess I will be forced to switch to Ubuntu like everybody else, so Microsoft will have a lot to lose.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:31 pm 
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Hey truffy, once you make the move to Linux you are going to be wondering "why didn't I do this 5 years ago"? It doesn't get much better than running a modern, fast, secure, stable OS on older hardware. Always brings a smile to my face. :D

But, I doubt that Microsoft will miss either of use...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:32 am 

Neil wrote:
Hey truffy, once you make the move to Linux you are going to be wondering "why didn't I do this 5 years ago"? It doesn't get much better than running a modern, fast, secure, stable OS on older hardware. Always brings a smile to my face. :D

But, I doubt that Microsoft will miss either of use...

Hey Neil, I used the Linux (Ubuntu 9.0) before in my old Pentium 3 computer, I liked it for a while but then when the Ubuntu 10.0 version was upgraded I found it slow and the graphics was not working well, the old Dell desktop computer was at fault though. I may try a dual boot and dual partition with Ubuntu and Windows Vista to keep my old T30 laptop running until it runs out of air to breath.