Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

VLC DVD audio stutter & T22 (Windows 2000)

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
tpprynn

VLC DVD audio stutter & T22 (Windows 2000)

#1 Post by tpprynn » Fri May 04, 2012 5:47 pm

I must be near the final few furlongs of getting my 'new' T22 optimised. It's doing best of all with Windows 2000 but I have everything I need working well except audio during DVDs.

On the Lenovo site there is an 'upgrade' for DVD Express which sounds like it may have come with the T22 when new. It's just an upgrade though, the actual program isn't there. VLC normally works and I seem to remember that a 500mhz and up cpu should do fine with DVDs, and think I watched DVDs on a 500mhz W98 desktop a while back, albeit with a proprietary program, so this 900mhz laptop should be able to play DVDs fine shouldn't it. Just a setting somewhere at a guess?

Although the audio itself was working once Windows 2000 was installed I added the driver from the Lenovo site anyway, 'SoundFusion'. I've tried DVDs with and without hardware acceleration ticked in the SoundFusion program.

I can see that the CPU spikes fairly often when playing a DVD. The video is fine though, smooth enough.

I have the CD drive set to silent in the BIOS, which I imagine most people would if using DVDs.

I'll join the VLC forum but someone here may know the answer to this too.

(I'd have tried Windows 98 to further limit how far the laptop's resources were taxed but couldn't figure out how I'd use both a boot floppy and the install CD as it just beeped and griped when I'd swap them around...)

Thanks.

tpprynn

Re: VLC DVD audio stutter & T22 (Windows 2000)

#2 Post by tpprynn » Fri May 04, 2012 6:49 pm

DVDExpress has turned up here in safe and legal form and works fabulously.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... item=33763