Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Linux users?

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
newyorkpaulie
Sophomore Member

Linux users?

#1 Post by newyorkpaulie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:21 am

I'm a Linux user and recently moved up to Mint 10 (I had been using Mint eight) and wondered if anyone can recommend a Linux OS that performs well on the T30s.
8 worked fine for me, but they've stopped supporting the updates for this version. 10 is working fine, but there are a few issues now although overall it is a better system for me, especially as the updating goes. I prefer gnome I might add. Thanks for any help/tips.

T61's: 6460-08U, 6460-07u, 6457-6DU
T601: 6463-W34
DualBooting Win-10/Mint Rosa

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Linux users?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:51 am

How about checking in the Linux forum?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

newyorkpaulie
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by newyorkpaulie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:53 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:How about checking in the Linux forum?
Thanks for the tip. Yes, I will do that too, but as my question was T30 specific I thought it better to first try here. Do you have any preference that is if you are a Linux user too?

T61's: 6460-08U, 6460-07u, 6457-6DU
T601: 6463-W34
DualBooting Win-10/Mint Rosa

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#4 Post by jronald » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:42 pm

I have had a T30 running uBuntu and now Macbuntu now for several years. Mint and uBuntu are from the same family. Running a 2.0 gig CPU, &68mbs memory and 5400 rpm HDD, the system flies.

Ron
I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's

Scott H.

#5 Post by Scott H. » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:37 pm

I had Ubuntu 10 running on a T23 with a 40 gig hard drive and 512 ram. I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11, but it says it will not run certain features because of the laptop not having the required components.

Both run smoothly on the T23 and are still fully supported.

I hope this helps,
-Scott H.
*** I don't SUFFER from InSaNiTy... I ENJOY every minute of it!!! ***

A couple of T23 Thinkpad Laptops, and an IBM NetVista Desktop.

urlich

#6 Post by urlich » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Scott H. wrote:I had Ubuntu 10 running on a T23 with a 40 gig hard drive and 512 ram. I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11, but it says it will not run certain features because of the laptop not having the required components.

Both run smoothly on the T23 and are still fully supported.

I hope this helps,
-Scott H.
PMFJI. I have a T30 that I would like to run with OpenBSD. I have memory address conflicts, probably at 0x5000000 and 0x51000000. The same symptoms are on Ubuntu 10 and 11, OpenBSD 4.9 and 5.0.

Do you know how you tell the BIOS to pass this info along or do you have a boot.conf that does the trick for you? Have you ever run into this problem?

techningeer

#7 Post by techningeer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:16 pm

I helped with testing Ubuntu 11.04. It doesn't work very well, if at all, on T2x series laptops. And they just ignored that even though Ubuntu used to have very good support for T2x laptops. Personally, I would recommend Debian. I made my own Linux distro for a little while, and though I never released it to the public due to the fact that I was the only programmer on the team against 10 eager testers. It could boot up in 3 seconds and log in in three seconds. So if there was enough interest I might start it up again. It just proves that you can run Linux on these still.

Scott H.

#8 Post by Scott H. » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:29 am

urlich wrote:PMFJI. I have a T30 that I would like to run with OpenBSD. I have memory address conflicts, probably at 0x5000000 and 0x51000000. The same symptoms are on Ubuntu 10 and 11, OpenBSD 4.9 and 5.0.

Do you know how you tell the BIOS to pass this info along or do you have a boot.conf that does the trick for you? Have you ever run into this problem?
The only thing I did was format my hard drive with a Win 98 Boot Disk, start the computer with the Linux install disk in the CD drive and let it do it's thing.

As for the Bios, it's set to the factory defaults. I have no programs running to over ride the Bios settings what so ever.
techningeer wrote:I helped with testing Ubuntu 11.04. It doesn't work very well, if at all, on T2x series laptops. And they just ignored that even though Ubuntu used to have very good support for T2x laptops. Personally, I would recommend Debian.
My test machine is still running 11.04 with no problems so far, I guess I just got lucky with it. How much better is Debian to run on a T23? I might reformat my HDD and give it a shot.

-Scott H.
*** I don't SUFFER from InSaNiTy... I ENJOY every minute of it!!! ***

A couple of T23 Thinkpad Laptops, and an IBM NetVista Desktop.

techningeer

#9 Post by techningeer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:36 am

Much better. Here's how you do it: Download the second to smallest Debian netinstall ISO. Burn it to disc, and boot it up. Then, install a system WITHOUT the graphical system. THEN when install is complete, boot into your new system and login. You will have to su to root, then run the following:
apt-get install icewm icewm-themes xorg-server xorg

If you want GNOME, then run:
apt-get install gnome

A note for while you are installing from the CD: DON'T use the LILO bootloader. Use GRUB.
This will get you a speedy, but more traditional Linux system. You will have to install the various applications that you want as you need them, but your system will be far less cluttered and will run way better.
Also, while you are installing X, you will be asked whether you want to start at boot up or not. This only will work if you have a login manager, so run the following if you want to boot up to graphical login:
apt-get install gdm3

Hope this helps! Any question, I will be happy to answer them.

jagwinn

#10 Post by jagwinn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:24 pm

I see the OP said there was no more support for Mint10. I run Mint10 Julia and there are regular updates. It is a wonderful OS! When mated with Chromium web browser [NOT Google Chrome], my T20 and my Gateway MP6954 put newer machines to shame. My employer uses the newest Dell desktops with Gold XP and IE6. Now you are talking slow...

I tried Ubuntu and find Mint10 just great instead.

It is not the latest and greatest OS [or any software for that matter] that will make you productive, it is your knowledge of the program that produces results.
My bird is 'Sunny', a Sun Conure.