Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T30 needs new system board

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
racer2086

T30 needs new system board

#1 Post by racer2086 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:22 am

Had this T30 for an eternity. I use it now for car diagnostics because it has a serial port.

It had gray horizontal lines through the screen that were getting worse, so I tried the GPU reflow. No dice, I really screwed it up because now I get nothing on boot. Only 1-3-3-1 beeps with no ram in. Otherwise, it powers up and just stays there black screen.

Anyway, I want to get a new board, but there are a ton of variants apparently if going by IBM numbers. I couldn't access the old IBM site where the interchange table was stored, and of course Lenovo has nothing older than T40 on their site.

I have a 2366-97U unit with 2ghz processor, wifi, bluetooth, sxga display. This thing came loaded. The numbers on my current system board are p/n 26P8433 and FRU# 91P7212.

There is a nice IBM refurbished board on ebay right now but it is #91P7692. It has a security chip, but from what I could find doesn't support processors over 1.8ghz? Could I use this board or not? What numbers should I be looking for? Does anyone on here just have a board that works that they don't need?

I was so bummed to have this GPU problem, since my computer never got the dreaded RAM slot issue. It has been a tank.

Thanks for the help.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T30 needs new system board

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:55 am

For T30 mobos, see the list here: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 29#p490429
Stick with "assembly 2" or "system board 2" if you can.

If you buy one with a sec chip, make darn sure the chip IS there!
Without it, it won't boot, and you can NOT use the chip from any other board (like your old one)!

That eBay board is not a "2" series, but it should work with your 2GHz CPU and looks fine from the description!
I have bought from that seller before, he's OK.
Worst case: you may need to buy a 1.8 CPU.

For more car-diag info, see: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90715
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#3 Post by ajkula66 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:51 am

racer2086 wrote:
Anyway, I want to get a new board, but there are a ton of variants apparently if going by IBM numbers. I couldn't access the old IBM site where the interchange table was stored, and of course Lenovo has nothing older than T40 on their site.
You can still - at least for the time being - get the info, manuals and drivers for the older machines here:

http://support1.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page?

With your fan and CPU the feebay board should work just fine.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

racer2086

#4 Post by racer2086 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:43 am

Wow thank you both for those two posts! Absolutely informative!

So System Board 2...are those more heavy duty than the others? Maybe they beefed them up for the higher CPUs?

There is one 91P7698 on ebay at the moment (http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-ThinkPad-T3 ... 257aec4b4d). It seems quite pricey for what it is...I feel like I could buy a whole computer for that. I also don't like how the date on the bottom says 01/03. That's a really old unit. Mine is 03/06. I'll have to keep checking. What would you do? Get the known refurbished one and hope it lasts?

I am in fact using this on my '98 BMW, so it's nice to know the software is meant for it. It has been working great with DIS/GT1 on it. I have about 8 different software programs on it.

ajkula66...thanks so much for that link! That's the info I was trying to find with the numbers and stuff. I couldn't for the life of me find it.

------

Follow up...

Found this one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad ... 1e8c4a807a whose part number in the picture is just 26P8423 and 26P8433. No 91P number. Is this a newer board that was manufactured later as a replacement part? Why the difference in part number?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:53 am

You can buy the first mentioned board, no problem, even if not a "2".
Make sure to clean CPU and fan and apply fresh thermal paste (such as Arctic Silver 5) the size of a rice corn, evenly spread on the CPU.

IBM also made T23 machines (predecessor to T30), which are limited to 1GB RAM, but also have the Serial Port.
They are almost as sturdy, and can also easily be used for car diagnostics.
I have a bunch of those for sale, if you (or your buddies) are interested.

racer2086

#6 Post by racer2086 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:46 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:You can buy the first mentioned board, no problem, even if not a "2".
Make sure to clean CPU and fan and apply fresh thermal paste (such as Arctic Silver 5) the size of a rice corn, evenly spread on the CPU.
Ok, I'll probably buy that refurbished one then. I've got the Arctic Silver 5 sitting right here. Used it about a month ago when upgrading my desktop CPU.

Just to satisfy my curiosity...is there any difference between the regular board and the system board 2 other than the CPU cooler? In the post linked above from '09 it seems the board 2 was for higher CPUs. My guess is that in the years since that thread, people have put higher CPUs on the lower board? I only ask, because I am wondering about long term life of the board running a higher CPU like my 2.0.
RealBlackStuff wrote:IBM also made T23 machines (predecessor to T30), which are limited to 1GB RAM, but also have the Serial Port.
They are almost as sturdy, and can also easily be used for car diagnostics.
I have a bunch of those for sale, if you (or your buddies) are interested.
Will keep that in mind. If you don't mind PMing me a price, I can let board members looking for diagnostic computers know. I actually have a T21 sitting on my lap that I used prior to the T30. I think I've replaced the system board in this one and gave it to my mom a while back. It started running really slow, so she got a newer Lenovo a couple years ago. I have "taken it back". I think it needs a new hard drive. I may revive this and also load it with diagnostic software.

Where do you guys get new batteries for these T2x and T3x units? Any genuine ones out there? I bought a cheapo $11 off Amazon for my T30. Aside having to adjust the size to fit, it works surprisingly well.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#7 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:22 am

T20, T21 and T22 are limited to max. 512MB RAM (2 x 256MB PC100 low density SODIMMs, very rare).
Fastest CPU for those (only on T22): 1.0GHz.
They are also limited to one USB1.1 port.

T23 can have max. 1GB RAM (2 x 512MB PC100 or PC133, either low or high density SODIMMs, generally available).
Fastest CPUs on T23: 1.0GHz, 1.13GHz and 1.20GHz.
They have two USB1.1 ports.

T23 uses different base, motherboard, CPU and fan from the other T2x machines.
All other parts are interchangeable between all 4.

T30 batteries also fit in a T2x, but NOT the other way around.
Genuine T30 batts. used to be slightly more powerful than T2X ones.
However, 'genuine' T2x/T30 batt.s are no longer made, so get any knockoff from a reliable seller such as screenaid:
T2x: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5200mAh-Bat ... 5d3f6bb51d

T30: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5200mAh-Lap ... 51ad72f05f